Should James Holmes (Batman killing) get the death penalty? Watch

WhatsHisFace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Joeman560)
That makes you as bad as him. Yes I am judging you.
What if it was Hitler we had to kill? You can't think of things like this in such an absolutist way, that's not how the world works.
Aoide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhatsHisFace)
What if it was Hitler we had to kill? You can't think of things like this in such an absolutist way, that's not how the world works.
What do you mean that isn't how the world works? Other people may not see it in black and white but since it is an opinion we can choose to be as black and white as we like.

In your hypothetical situation, if it was Hitler I would still argue against the death penalty- there is no situation I would support it, all we are doing is lowering ourselves.
A level Az
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Joeman560)
That makes you as bad as him. Yes I am judging you.
That's a matter of opinion.
123maz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
he should get life imprisonment -

do we have the death penalty in USA?
PerArduaAdAstra
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
No.

the point of sentencing somebody to prison/community service/etc is rehabilitation. sentencing somebody to death is you saying that they'll never ever be able to contribute positively to society
That's precisely the point. He has quite clearly demonstrated that he doesn't want to contribute positively to society.
PerArduaAdAstra
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Alternatively, death might be too kind for him. In the words of Bane, "his punishment must be more severe".
WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aoide)
What do you mean that isn't how the world works? Other people may not see it in black and white but since it is an opinion we can choose to be as black and white as we like.

In your hypothetical situation, if it was Hitler I would still argue against the death penalty- there is no situation I would support it, all we are doing is lowering ourselves.
It isn't how the world works because there are more opinions than your own. People don't care if you personally would kill someone, but death is a part of our world. Sometimes people are better off dead for the safe of the collective.

If you're against the death penalty under any circumstances, even if they killed 11 million people, you must be anti- war, anti- revolution, ect. Both of those situations involve people dying, and even in the name of progress death is immoral, correct?
Kiss
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well since its in America I don´t really think I have the right to comment, but I don´t think he should be killed. If we lower ourselves to his methods then we are no better than he is.
Aoide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhatsHisFace)
It isn't how the world works because there are more opinions than your own. People don't care if you personally would kill someone, but death is a part of our world. Sometimes people are better off dead for the safe of the collective.

If you're against the death penalty under any circumstances, even if they killed 11 million people, you must be anti- war, anti- revolution, ect. Both of those situations involve people dying, and even in the name of progress death is immoral, correct?
No I can have any opinion I like, that is the great thing about opinions. If from my perspective it is that black and white then I am justified in having that opinion. The fact there are many opinions only means there is no one clear answer, not that I have to base my opinion using a certain view. I'm not saying the overall decision is black and white because as you said there are many views, but my opinion on it can be as black and white I want. Your view that views should be shades of grey is no more valid than my black and white opinion. Death is part of our world but that doesn't mean we should accept or should we just discard all medicine?

I'm not anti war, revolution or many other events which cause death. Sometimes people need to die so more can be saved. I don't have an issue with killing for benefit but that isn't the purpose of the death penalty. The death penalty has no benefits it is about revenge and killing because it makes you feel better to see someone you hate suffer. To perform the death penalty makes it completely hypocritical to judge them, since you just killed for pleasure.
LifeIsGood
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Been reading a lot about this case does anyone think mind control is involved or part of the government? I'm interested in what people think as there seems to be two sides to this story
.eXe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
Well since its in America I don´t really think I have the right to comment, but I don´t think he should be killed. If we lower ourselves to his methods then we are no better than he is.
I don't think killing a killer is technically murder. I would call it justice.
WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aoide)
No I can have any opinion I like, that is the great thing about opinions. If from my perspective it is that black and white then I am justified in having that opinion. The fact there are many opinions only means there is no one clear answer, not that I have to base my opinion using a certain view. I'm not saying the overall decision is black and white because as you said there are many views, but my opinion on it can be as black and white I want. Your view that views should be shades of grey is no more valid than my black and white opinion. Death is part of our world but that doesn't mean we should accept or should we just discard all medicine?

I'm not anti war, revolution or many other events which cause death. Sometimes people need to die so more can be saved. I don't have an issue with killing for benefit but that isn't the purpose of the death penalty. The death penalty has no benefits it is about revenge and killing because it makes you feel better to see someone you hate suffer. To perform the death penalty makes it completely hypocritical to judge them, since you just killed for pleasure.
I'm not saying you don't have an opinion, it's pretty obvious you have one. I'm saying you don't have a rational one. It's impossible to have a black and white perspective on morality without being hypocritical, which you've shown quite nicely in your post.
Flair91
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes he deserves the death penalty. His crime was pre-mediated to the highest freaking standard. I mean he must have planned it very well to be able to walk out of the cinema to his car and back again with an assault rifle and plenty of ammunition without being detected. Second of all he booby trapped his own flat to try and kill off any police officer who went in to investigate. These are the actions of a calculating, cold blooded killer.

This isn't a drunk guy who finds his wife in bed with his best friend and stabs him; the pure evil can be found in the way he planned out his attack and booby trapped his own house. His child victims will not grow up and for that he deserves to be hanged till death.

If this guy is released in 30 years like some in this thread want and leads a happy and productive life whilst the families of the victims are grieving; thats not justice.
fuzzybear
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was against the death penalty before the shooting and my views haven't changed since.
ufo2012
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Miracle Day)
That implies he's going to eventually be released and so he could positively contribute to society.

Going to prison for life, as he will no doubt face is not going to rehabilitate someone as he's never going to return to the outside world

Lock him away for life then give the death penalty at the very end of that.
AbuAK
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Whats with this mental illness thing? Brown guys kill groups of people, terrorist. White guys kill groups of people, mental illness. Fact of matter is that both have proven to be danger to society by murdering someone, with the brown guys usually already being dead, not much to do. With this James guy, let him rot in jail for the rest of his life, thats punishment. Death sentence will be a blessing, he won't have to suffer. There's no excuse to kill 12 people, mental illness or not, you did it, you pay for the consequences. Murder is murder.
dj1015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If an animal is sick, it gets put down.

James Holmes is also sick. So he also needs a trip to the vet.
justanotherposter
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AbuAK)
Whats with this mental illness thing? Brown guys kill groups of people, terrorist. White guys kill groups of people, mental illness. Fact of matter is that both have proven to be danger to society by murdering someone, with the brown guys usually already being dead, not much to do. With this James guy, let him rot in jail for the rest of his life, thats punishment. Death sentence will be a blessing, he won't have to suffer. There's no excuse to kill 12 people, mental illness or not, you did it, you pay for the consequences. Murder is murder.
Brown guys? I'm going to assume you mean Muslim, in which case according to the FBI from 1980 to 2005 only 6% of terrorism on US soil was committed by Muslims. Terrorism can be committed by any ethnicity or religion. This guy is being called mentally ill because terrorists act for a cause they believe in and they wrongly believe terrorism is the way to enforce it. This guy on the other hand seems to act for no cause, he seems to have done it because he felt like it.
Retrodiction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pinda.college)
Killing him is not justice, making him suffer is.

They should torture him to the point where he wished he never went to that cinema.
So the court should base its decisions on emotion rather than pragmatism?
MovingOn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think he should face the death penalty because I genuinely think he is mentally ill. If his plea of insanity is accepted, he will need years upon years of treatment. Either way, I don't think someone who is not of sound mind should face justice in the same way as someone who is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads