Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsfdsfdsf)
    Okay, so maybe we don't have a detailed historic account of the life of the Buddha. However, this is a man that was the founder of Buddhism. Therefore, almost every basic Buddhist concept can be related to him, you'd be foolish to deny that he's not accountable for the formulation of concepts such as Anatta, and the Four Noble Truths.
    That's not at all true, I'm not particularly educated on Buddhism but I'd be very surprised if there aren't key beliefs that came way after the life of Buddha.

I'd hardly say those two theories are really foundation enough to be deemed the greatest ever human even if it was truly Buddha who originated it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisG123)
    That's not at all true, I'm not particularly educated on Buddhism but I'd be very surprised if there aren't key beliefs that came way after the life of Buddha.

I'd hardly say those two theories are really foundation enough to be deemed the greatest ever human even if it was truly Buddha who originated it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're not particularly educated on it then why bother making assertions about the subject ? It's called Buddhism because it's core is the word of the Buddha, all key beliefs in conventional Buddhism arose Siddhartha Gautama, that's pretty much indisputable.

This is a man that formed the only world religion that is actually based upon any sort of reason, instead of chatting **** about a 'omnipotent, omnibenevolent being'.

Then again, the definition of 'great' is purely subjective, just my opinion at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsfdsfdsf)
    If you're not particularly educated on it then why bother making assertions about the subject ? It's called Buddhism because it's core is the word of the Buddha, all key beliefs in conventional Buddhism arose Siddhartha Gautama, that's pretty much indisputable.

This is a man that formed the only world religion that is actually based upon any sort of reason, instead of chatting **** about a 'omnipotent, omnibenevolent being'.

Then again, the definition of 'great' is purely subjective, just my opinion at the end of the day.
    I don't have to be educated in Buddhism to know that he supposedly lived over 2000 years ago and therefore any record of any of his actions, if he even existed, would be highly questionable

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mary Wollstonecraft - Vindication of the Rights of Women

Simone de Beauvoir - The Second Sex

Emmeline Pankhurst - Suffragette

Without them the rights of more than half the world would still be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Not an electric Dylan fan? :holmes:
    Hahaha it's nothing like that, I love his electric stuff. What I disliked was his sudden indifference to the cause he had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yon2k12)
    Hahaha it's nothing like that, I love his electric stuff. What I disliked was his sudden indifference to the cause he had.
    Suppose it depends on if you think that Dylan sold out the folk movement or if he actually bought into it somewhat.

Whilst I do love his "electric" works, I do agree with you, it would have been nice if he'd continued to write political/folk songs :moon:

Interesting related article:

http://www.workersliberty.org/node/5419

ReputationRep:
    Not many women mentioned in this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Napoleon. Genius who conquered Europe, initiated a new judicial system and was a walking super computer from most accounts.

Marx. Put forward views that continue to shape the world today nd have changed Russia and china among other countries forever.

Freud. IMHO is the man behind modern psychology , another true genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Suppose it depends on if you think that Dylan sold out the folk movement or if he actually bought into it somewhat.

Whilst I do love his "electric" works, I do agree with you, it would have been nice if he'd continued to write political/folk songs :moon:

Interesting related article:

http://www.workersliberty.org/node/5419
    That article was interesting indeed. Though I don't see it as Dylan having either sold out or bought in to that particular music scene, it just seemed as though he always did whatever he wanted to, without caring in the slightest about anyone else. I suppose that is rather selfish, but it also deserves grudging admiration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Napoleon. Genius who conquered Europe, initiated a new judicial system and was a walking super computer from most accounts.

Marx. Put forward views that continue to shape the world today nd have changed Russia and china among other countries forever.

Freud. IMHO is the man behind modern psychology , another true genius.
    freuds work is nothing compared to the genius of david canter
    because of his work on ofender profiling he got a special tie from the police

followed closely by mark griffiths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrow.7)
    Let me rephrase that: First modern person who fought against the system and won
    Are you familiar with the dutch revolt? Plenty of people managed that before Cromwell...

If I'm honest, I wouldn't really describe fighting for parliament as fighting 'against the system', either.

ReputationRep:
    John Maynard Keynes

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Alex Turner

ReputationRep:
    Mikhail Gorbachev

ReputationRep:
    the prophet muhammad peace be upon him, fact, also theirs book called 100 greatest men and he topped it, also many books on this have said him. plus with more than billion followers more any other historical figure. and many non muslims have spoke good about him too.so yh confirmed by islam too obviously also other religions respect him too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah.7)
    the prophet muhammad peace be upon him, fact, also theirs book called 100 greatest men and he topped it, also many books on this have said him. plus with more than billion followers more any other historical figure. and many non muslims have spoke good about him too.so yh confirmed by islam too obviously also other religions respect him too
    Firstly I think you need to check your facts, Jesus has more followers if you're looking at that approach. Secondly Muslims follow a religion not one person, just as Christians do.

The fact that one person has written a book and said it is hardly any reason that it's true

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Impact wise it would be have to be Muhammed saw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am the greatest human ever!

ReputationRep:
    Probably the inventor of the steam Engine. As Robert E. Lucas, Jr said:

"For the first time in history, the living standards of the masses of ordinary people have begun to undergo sustained growth ... Nothing remotely like this economic behaviour is mentioned by the classical economists, even as a theoretical possibility."

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.