Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Also a really good way for getting both A03 and A04 marks is using contemporary critical quotes, for example The Quarterly Review said about Frankenstein that 'it inculcates no lessons of conduct, morality or manners,' I think this is a really good quote as it's something you could easily argue against, and it's something that could be made relevant to any question as you'll end up talking about the message that Shelley conveys in Frankenstein in most questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piguy)
    A Marxist reading is just an interpretation which identifies the characters and events in terms of political and social undercurrents. Shelley herself was quite political; her father WIlliam Godwin was a political humanist and her mother was obviously the loudmouth feminist.

The most obvious political event that could be tied to frankenstein is the french revolution: it could be seen as an attempt to bring about Rousseau's perfecting of a natural man - getting rid of the oppressive upper class and man will develop without boundaries - in a way the creature is a more improved / perfected version of Frankenstein (see Anne Mellor's evolution of man criticisms). The creature could be the personified spirit of revolution, seeking to overthrow the oppressive classes (i.e. kill Frankenstein and his family, who are quite wealthy) but turns into chaos like the mob and the whole guillotining everyone fiasco with Robespierre...
    Thats a great help thankyou! cleared up alot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piguy)
    35 marks translates to 80UMS, need 140UMS overall for a B, so 60/120 UMS in exam which is 34/60 (17 on each essay) - just on the D boundary.

Thank you! i can probably do better than a D, now i'm not so worried

ReputationRep:
    omg please dont ignore me someone help me, i need dorian gray critics quotations!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizy)
    Guys, does anyone have any Dorian Gray critics quotes...I know i've asked like 4 times but i actually have none
    Critical Quotes

• The aesthetic and criminal stand together Robert Mighall

• Wildes aestheticism refuses to subordinate art to a moral message… Victorian society could accept social criticism but only withing boundaries… Moral ambivalence challenges these limits Koen von Cauwensberge

• The Victorian public is an instinctive creature, not half so stupid as is taken for granted Richard La Gallienne

• Wilde aestheticses the gothic and gothicises the aesthetic Jean Paul Requillem

• Wilde is a second rate imitator of Byron… Dorian’s fascination with the corruption of his soul reminds one of one of one of Byrons perverse pleasures of destruction Mario Praz

• It is a benchmark of decadence... a key to the psychic and creative life of its author and the mirror of the prejudices of an era that used it against its author in a court of law as evidence of his moral corruption Patrick Gillespie

Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piguy)
    I'm fed up now.... I've made a grade calculator in excel (see attachment), you'd need 47/60 for an A
    Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelbeez)
    Can anyone tell me what the Emily Dickinson and The Picture of Dorian Gray questions were in the Jan 2013 paper?
    'The novel is heavy with moral and spiritual corruption' (Victorian review)

How far and in what ways do you agree with this view of The Picture of Dorian Gray?

'Time is not really suspended, even for the novel's beautiful young hero'.

In light of this comment, discuss ways in which Wilde portrays time passing in The Picture of Dorian Gray

Hope this helps :-)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any critical quotes for Mrs. Dalloway? Our teacher never told us we need to include them!!!! I'm actually excited for the poetry, doing Edward Thomas, and I hope 'Aspens' or 'Lights Out' comes up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesmact)
    Does anyone have any critical quotes for Mrs. Dalloway? Our teacher never told us we need to include them!!!! I'm actually excited for the poetry, doing Edward Thomas, and I hope 'Aspens' or 'Lights Out' comes up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't NEED to include them. You can fulfil AO3 by presenting alternative viewpoints or using literary theories to further your argument.

Might be best to just focus on that instead of panicking and learning critics the day before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie5)
    I'm doing the same as you Edward Thomas and Frankenstein, I don't know the exact question, but I know the poem was The Sun Used To Shine,
    What do you think will come up this year?
    The question was: 'how does Edward Thomas explore MOMENTS OF CONTEMPLATION in The sun used to Shine'?

We did it for our mock and I got 27/30 although for the Prose, we do Mrs. dalloway and I got 25/30, I'm cramming quotations now, the prose is so much harder than the poetry, as it's much less formulaic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralStudent95)
    You don't NEED to include them. You can fulfil AO3 by presenting alternative viewpoints or using literary theories to further your argument.

Might be best to just focus on that instead of panicking and learning critics the day before
    So for example, Feminist theories such as Simone De Beauvoir? And I have memorised two actual critical quotes, one from Woolf herself and one from a Melissa Worster.. For quotations from the book I'm fine about though! Thank to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesmact)
    So for example, Feminist theories such as Simone De Beauvoir? And I have memorised two actual critical quotes, one from Woolf herself and one from a Melissa Worster.. For quotations from the book I'm fine about though! Thank to

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes that's perfect what you have. Quotes from the author count as AO4 however so be careful about that

Good luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Anyone lucky enough to be doing Jane Eyre or Yeats?:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma_F)
    Critical Quotes

• The aesthetic and criminal stand together Robert Mighall

• Wildes aestheticism refuses to subordinate art to a moral message… Victorian society could accept social criticism but only withing boundaries… Moral ambivalence challenges these limits Koen von Cauwensberge

• The Victorian public is an instinctive creature, not half so stupid as is taken for granted Richard La Gallienne

• Wilde aestheticses the gothic and gothicises the aesthetic Jean Paul Requillem

• Wilde is a second rate imitator of Byron… Dorian’s fascination with the corruption of his soul reminds one of one of one of Byrons perverse pleasures of destruction Mario Praz

• It is a benchmark of decadence... a key to the psychic and creative life of its author and the mirror of the prejudices of an era that used it against its author in a court of law as evidence of his moral corruption Patrick Gillespie

Hope it helps
    OMG you are an utter life saver....thank you so much, I can't thank you enough :| not gonna fail now hopefully!!! what themes do you think will come up tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizy)
    omg please dont ignore me someone help me, i need dorian gray critics quotations!!!!
    Hey, do you have the novel with Robert Mighall's commentary, he's pretty good.

Also, you don't need critics; you can offer your own alternate opinion, or a different perspective (Queer theory, Marxist, Moralist etc)

But here are a few.........

"Dorian Gray presented in oblique form the double life Oscar Wilde was living at this time" ~ Peter Ackroyd

"Why go grubbing in muck heaps?" Scots Observer

a "Poisonous book" ~Daily Chronicle

"spawned from the leprous literature of the French decadents" ~Daily Chronicle

"The new aestheticism seemed to involve an evasion of moral responsibility" ~John Sloan

"Dorian's quest for new sensations leaves him, ultimately, a prisoner of desire" ~John Sloan.

Any predictions for what might come up tomorrow for Dorian Gray or Browning??

ReputationRep:
    I had learnt some quotes about narrative technique from David Lodge in general for Frankenstein, but I just realised it's not really a different interpretation of the novel, so shall I not include these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiallD)
    I had learnt some quotes about narrative technique from David Lodge in general for Frankenstein, but I just realised it's not really a different interpretation of the novel, so shall I not include these?
    Still do, quote him to back up your argument

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piguy)
    I'm fed up now.... I've made a grade calculator in excel (see attachment), you'd need 47/60 for an A
    I got 29/40 in my coursework. Say I wanted to aim for an A in the exam, how many marks do I need to get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    I got 29/40 in my coursework. Say I wanted to aim for an A in the exam, how many marks do I need to get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    About 55/60, depending on grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizy)
    Guys, does anyone have any Dorian Gray critics quotes...I know i've asked like 4 times but i actually have none
    Here's some
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  244.2 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  234.1 KB

Sorry if they are unclear

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.