Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown505)
    A setting question has previously been set. There was one about the bunkhouse.
    Is it likely/ possible that they will ask about the changes of the natural setting in the first and last chapters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    Is it likely/ possible that they will ask about the changes of the natural setting in the first and last chapters?
    Not to sure, they could though knowing aqa.

ReputationRep:
    Not to sure, they could though knowing aqa.
    Although I don't see how you could write much about context if the question is about the setting...

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please mark my inspector calls essay question please?i'll pm you it,i'd be very grateful if someone could!

ReputationRep:
    A setting question has previously been set. There was one about the bunkhouse.
    I know, this time I think it may be beginning of chapter 1 or 6

ReputationRep:
    Although I don't see how you could write much about context if the question is about the setting...
    You could write about the American Dream, false hope, economic failure. Steinbeck's use of light fading can be used to prove this. Also, the contrast in setting for the beginning and end.

There is PLENTY more to talk about in the setting, look close and bull****

Also, for section B on OMAM, would they ask questions on individual characters or a very general questions? I'm nervous, want an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolface32)
    You could write about the American Dream, false hope, economic failure. Steinbeck's use of light fading can be used to prove this. Also, the contrast in setting for the beginning and end.

There is PLENTY more to talk about in the setting, look close and bull****

Also, for section B on OMAM, would they ask questions on individual characters or a very general questions? I'm nervous, want an A*
    Depends on the character. Like Candy and Crooks can be easily linked to society of the time but like Slim, who stands out as not a normal ranch worker, it would be hard. I can see them asking how does the character of Curley add to your understanding of ranch workers at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan96)
    Depends on the character. Like Candy and Crooks can be easily linked to society of the time but like Slim, who stands out as not a normal ranch worker, it would be hard. I can see them asking how does the character of Curley add to your understanding of ranch workers at the time.
    Slim is in no way a normal ranch worker, he is a gawd. You can talk about how he is well equipped for the pain of the real world. He is a realist, in that he insisted on drowning those puppies, high status, was the first person to calm George when he killed Lenni etc...

Quite a lot of points really But a question on Curley would not be like that, he was the bosses son so that question would be shiiit

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone done the controlled assessment?

I done mine and got 39/40, was on Conflict in Act 3 Scene 1(Romeo and Juliet)

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, as im doing an inspector calls and of mice and men, what is everyone predicting to come up these are my predictions

Of mice and men

- Slim
    - Curley (in my opinion i'm not convinced there's enough to write about)
    - American dream
    - Natural world

An Inspector calls

Character

- Eric
    - Arthur Birling

Theme
    - Age (sheila, eric VS mrs birling birling)
    - Supernatural (yes it does seem far fetched but would be an interesting question)

be interested to hear your thoughts :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidb123)
    Out of curiosity, as im doing an inspector calls and of mice and men, what is everyone predicting to come up these are my predictions

Of mice and men

- Slim
    - Curley (in my opinion i'm not convinced there's enough to write about)
    - American dream
    - Natural world

An Inspector calls

Character

- Eric
    - Arthur Birling

Theme
    - Age (sheila, eric VS mrs birling birling)
    - Supernatural (yes it does seem far fetched but would be an interesting question)

be interested to hear your thoughts :]
    I hope dreams and natural world come up for OMAM, lots to talk about. For I.C I want A. Birling and Gender :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Slim is in no way a normal ranch worker, he is a gawd. You can talk about how he is well equipped for the pain of the real world. He is a realist, in that he insisted on drowning those puppies, high status, was the first person to calm George when he killed Lenni etc...

Quite a lot of points really But a question on Curley would not be like that, he was the bosses son so that question would be shiiit
    You can make a lot of points on Curley though. Masculinity, injustice that derives from him being the Bosses son and the ignorance of ranch workers at the time to social issues and relationships etcetera shown by his bewilderment at the end of the novella.

ReputationRep:
    I hope dreams and natural world come up for OMAM, lots to talk about. For I.C I want A. Birling and Gender :rolleyes:
    What are some nice points you can make about gender?

ReputationRep:
    What are some nice points you can make about gender?
    Mrs. Birling not having a name. Her status is derived not by who she is, but who she is married to. There is a notion that by the time you put a ring on to the women's finger, you declare ownership.

-You could bring up the point where Gerald proposes, I remember that being a meaty section.

-How much materialistic values are valued by woman, when Eric "left them talking about clothes".

-You could also make the point that Sheila is symbolic of a developing society.

- Mrs Birlings concerns on social etiquette

And a hell of a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    Which character is going to be most likely to come up for the Crucible?
    The joys of doing The Crucible when it appears that a majority do Inspector Calls.

A wide range of characters could come up. Johh and Elizabeth have yet to have come up, however, in the past two exams it has been Mary Warran and Giles Corey, both harder characters, therefore I don't believe we'll get a character as easier as John or Elizabeth Proctor, but there is a possibility due to the fact they've yet to come up. It'll be a dream though if we get a Proctor. ^_^

Taking into account characters that can only realistic come up (Therefore excluding Mary Warran, etc) I'd say this from most likely to least likely.

]John Hale
    Putnams
    Danforth

Tituba
    Elizabeth/John Proctor
    Betty Parris
    Hathorne

I'd go for John Hale or the Putnams. Hope its Hale personally. A few of them characters I'd struggle to write about. I find with The Crucible there is a lot of characters, meaning that it isn't as easy to guess who is coming up. The past two exams have been really harsh though, so I don't expect we'll get someone as easy as Proctor. Hale would be nice though. I feel quite unprepared with The Crucible compared to OMAM, where I'm convinced we'll get a setting, Curley or Slim. Preferably the latter.

I've done Curley just to be safe but I think AQA are going to give us somethign different this time round. Maybe a setting question.
    I really, really, hope not. I do not feel at all confident with a setting, they're so much harder to revise for. I really want Slim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack59)
    The joys of doing The Crucible when it appears that a majority do Inspector Calls.

A wide range of characters could come up. Johh and Elizabeth have yet to have come up, however, in the past two exams it has been Mary Warran and Giles Corey, both harder characters, therefore I don't believe we'll get a character as easier as John or Elizabeth Proctor, but there is a possibility due to the fact they've yet to come up. It'll be a dream though if we get a Proctor. ^_^

Taking into account characters that can only realistic come up (Therefore excluding Mary Warran, etc) I'd say this from most likely to least likely.

]John Hale
    Putnams
    Danforth

Tituba
    Elizabeth/John Proctor
    Betty Parris
    Hathorne

I'd go for John Hale or the Putnams. Hope its Hale personally. A few of them characters I'd struggle to write about. I find with The Crucible there is a lot of characters, meaning that it isn't as easy to guess who is coming up. The past two exams have been really harsh though, so I don't expect we'll get someone as easy as Proctor. Hale would be nice though. I feel quite unprepared with The Crucible compared to OMAM, where I'm convinced we'll get a setting, Curley or Slim. Preferably the latter.

I really, really, hope not. I do not feel at all confident with a setting, they're so much harder to revise for. I really want Slim.
    I would find it tough to write a 30 mark essay on Slim, so hope not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack59)
    How would you say Slim relates to the context of the novella?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to share quotes? We can discuss how they influence the novels and stuff..

ReputationRep:
    How would you say Slim relates to the context of the novella?
    I would find it tough to write a 30 mark essay on Slim, so hope not
    He is harder than a character such as Crooks and Curleys wife (The past two exam questions, lucky ) -

I guess you can say because he has a craft/skill his position is secure on the ranch, comparing him to Candy is now ''worthless'' due to the attitudes presented. You could say that people inspired to be Slim; men working on a ranch was a common thing after the great depression, Slim is quite high up in the hierarchy and new ranch workers could see him as an idle.

I think a part a question is a hell of a lot easier than a part b question on both Curley and Slim. With Candy, Crooks and Curleys wife it is pretty simple.

One of the key parts of the novel with Slim is after the Curley/Lennie fight. Slim helps Curley up, showing how Slims attitude and mannerism and the fact Curley needs help standing up, despite being a boxer. Later on in the play, Steinbeck makes it clear that George can stand up on his own after being hurt, despite just killing his best friend. Showing how strong a character George is. Going back to the fight scene, Slim takes control of the whole situation and instructs Curley what to do and makes him feel quite small about himself. Its a pretty key part considering the likely hood is that Slim/Curley will come up and the scene can be used to make points about both characters.

ReputationRep:
    I think giving Slim or Curley would be cruel maybe they'd word it something like "How is (a specific contextual idea i.e Treatment of Women) at the time of the 1930's portrayed in the novel by Steinbeck? Then you would link it to character as well as other things.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.