Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So... Who's getting relegated then? watch

ReputationRep:
    I want Wigan to go down, there not a big club, and there fan base is hardly what a premier league team should aspire to be. However, I do highly rate Martinez and his tactical brilliance (at times), whereby he manages to allow Wigan to avoid relegation on a smallish budget.
    And up through the play offs I want leicester, mainly because there fan base is decent and there football is poor. As a Derby fan, the foxes are the most boring and lacking team I have seen this season, and in other results they have had this is seen. I want those who play attractive football (watford, brigton) to stay in the league for some good games next season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    Wigan aren't out yet. I think 38 points and good goal difference will keep a team up. I can't see Norwich picking up any more points.
    You were saying....
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    Who do you guys want to go up through the playoffs?

I personally would love to see Leicester back in the premier league. But I think it would be nice to have someone like Brighton.
    Would happily have any of the 3 sides who could still make it. Any of them would be a breath of fresh air.

ReputationRep:
    torn.. I love brighton, but I also like holloway.. hmm

ReputationRep:
    After the weekend, what are people's thought's now? Is it all over and Wigan are down, or can they pull off the win at Arsenal and go into the last weekend with a chance of staying up? I personally think it's over, although I'd like to see them beat Arsenal to make the last day even more interesting, I can't see it, especially with Arsenal being in a bit of a tight spot themselves. Then again, the bottom half is still tight, and depending on how the midweek games go there could be a big battle for the psycologically important 10th and 17th places, as currently a number of teams could finish in either.

As a Norwich fan, despite being safe I'm still keeping fingers crossed for the last day as there are still things to play for. Top half finish (10th), bettering or equalling last years position (11th or 12th), adding Man City to our big scalps for the season, and finishing above the old manager.

If Wigan pull of another shock though, then I think it's between Sunderland and Villa. If they beat Arsenal I can see them beating Villa too. It would then be down to if Sunderland could get anything at Spurs, as a point would put them level with Villa. Villa's poor goal difference though would mean they would almost certainly go down if it came to that. Fullham and Southampton, whilst also on 40, are safe since their superior goal difference will almost certainly save them if required. They would have to loose their last games by over 10 goals, and Villa would have to loose by a minimum amount of goals for them to go down (as a Villa win or draw would condem Wigan).
    If Wigan get a point at Arsenal they are as good as gone, as a win at Villa would put them level with a loosing Sunderland, but they would have to thrash Villa and hope Sunderland were thrashed to make up on goal difference.

ReputationRep:
    I just think with:
    - Arsenal needing the 3 points for CL qualification
    - playing on the huge pitch at the Emirates
    - Arsenal having had 10 days rest compared to Wigan's 72 hour rest
    - the number of injuries to the Wigan defence and
    - the fact that only a win will do for Wigan so it will be more open at the back (unless they get an early goal)

all point to Arsenal getting a win for me.

ReputationRep:
    I think Wigan will go down. I cannot see them beating Arsenal who still have something to play for. However if they do beat them, I'd be worried if I was a Sunderland fan as I can see Wigan beating Villa and Sunderland losing to Tottenham.

As a Norwich fan, I'm just overjoyed we managed to survive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluttershy)
    You were saying....
    Are people not allowed to make mistakes?

And did you see how bad WBA played? They allowed Norwich to score 4. I'm more likely to score 4 in a PL game than Norwich usually are.

If you want, come up with some predictions yourself if you think you're so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    Are people not allowed to make mistakes?

And did you see how bad WBA played? They allowed Norwich to score 4. I'm more likely to score 4 in a PL game than Norwich usually are.

If you want, come up with some predictions yourself if you think you're so good.
    Sorry, I wasn't attacking you, just pleased you were wrong. If you look, I have made a few predictions. I would have predicted a Norwich and Newcastle win, since both teams needed it and both opponants had nothing to play for. Would have said a scrappy 1 goal win for both. Was right on Newcastle, pleasently suprised to be wrong on Norwich.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping for a Wigan win tomorrow to make the last day even more nerve-wracking in the relegation fight and the top four spot between Spurs/Arsenal.

And because Wigan did so well in winning the Cup, it'd be gutting if they did go down.

ReputationRep:
    Shame Hopefully Wigan bounce straight back up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    Shame Hopefully Wigan bounce straight back up!
    You're a Villa fan, you should be delighted!

I mean, if I had the choice I would have preferred Sunderland to go down instead. But that would mean us coming so close ourselves, and I wouldn't want to go through that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    You're a Villa fan, you should be delighted!

I mean, if I had the choice I would have preferred Sunderland to go down instead. But that would mean us coming so close ourselves, and I wouldn't want to go through that!
    I like Wigan.

Plus I was so confident of Aston Villa's position that I was never worried about relegation.....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's what I keep telling myself anyway..

ReputationRep:
    If only Wigan had beaten Swansea then they wouldn't have been put under pressure to bag a result from Arsenal. But they did fairly well from the middle of the first half to the start of the second but Arsenal's quality just edged it.

I fear they won't bounce back up especially if Martinez goes, as does McManaman, Maloney and Kone.

Disappointing relegation scraps have been sorted out before the season's ended.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    I fear they won't bounce back up especially if Martinez goes, as does McManaman, Maloney and Kone.
    You can add McCarthy, Alcaraz and McArthur to that list.

I honestly don't think we will see them in the top division again any time soon. Next season will be very hard for them with a European campaign and most likely a new manager. Wigan deserve a lot of credit for staying up here for 8 years, winning the FA Cup and reaching the League Cup final when absolutely everyone (including myself) thought they'd go straight back down. They spent way beyond their means to get into the Premiership, but once they got there they've actually been run properly unlikely so many other clubs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I can sleep easy now until the end of the Summer, obviously I feel sorry for Wigan.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Wigan, QPR and Reading relegated then.

Yeah I think Europe disturbed Birmingham's championship campaign when they won League cup and got relegated. Possibly not so easy for Wigan in Europe imo, which will have an affect on their championships too.

Depends how the 3 clubs would do during the summer I think, if they want to get straight back up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    I can sleep easy now until the end of the Summer, obviously I feel sorry for Wigan.
    I feel sorry for Martinez (even though, I think he will get Everton job), but Wigan have poor players not up to Premier league standards. Only Maloney and Kone are good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Sufistic)
    I feel sorry for Martinez (even though, I think he will get Everton job), but Wigan have poor players not up to Premier league standards. Only Maloney and Kone are good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought that Callum Mcmanaman looked decent enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    I thought that Callum Mcmanaman looked decent enough
    Oh yeah, he was brilliant at the cup final. Decent player; quick, can dribble too. He can teach Walcott a few things about wing play. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 15, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.