Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£10 MILLION publically funded funeral for Thatcher?!?!!??! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    its 10million... who cares. consoidering how much has been pised away on even less important things liuke guarding that pillock in the ecuadorian embassy. leaving aside the fact 10,000,000 isnt a lot of money...
    Not a lot of money? Do you have ten million pounds in your back pocket? ... Can I have some?

ReputationRep:
    It's not like the money would be spent on anything better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    Face palm. I thought we were talking £10m? If you're going to throw that into the equation, let's just throw in every person at the funeral and all the thousands of them contribute £25,000 on average too?

The £25,000 a year for those 400 public sector workers = £10m. You're arguing skills are laaaaame.
    Im am talking about what that 10million could do if it went to the public sector jobs which were cut instead of the funeral. The people at the funeral that your talking about would have jobs anyway so that would be irrelevant..... Lets just hope someone like you dont get in power lol cant understand basic economics

ReputationRep:
    It really is an inordinate amount of TAXPAYER'S money. If she did get us £75b from a euro tax rebate (or something else, I can't remember) then it would seem that this amount really isn't worth it. But then again, the people who will pay most of this tax are the working (OR unemployed) who once lost their jobs BECAUSE of her. For her, that £10m must seem like money well spent.

(In other news, was any one else slightly excited over the news of her being transported 'via gun carriage'? I was expecting her to be fired out over the Thames in one of those Falklands artillery pieces, but oh well...)

ReputationRep:
    I was there this morning, silently for a few minutes just by the Cenotaph as the hearse went by. No boos, a few people clapped, and then most just went back to their work as I did. I am pictured in tonight's Evening Standard. Far fewer people than at the same spot (almost) where I stood for the Jubilee last year.

ReputationRep:
    They should really give it to charity...

ReputationRep:
    I see complaining about this now as being a bit like crying over spilt milk, I mean, it's not as if anyone's going to get refunded. She was an important person whether you like her or not and I believe that £10 million is a bit extravagant, but it wouldn't be spent if it could not be afforded. It's not really up to us how the funeral is conducted in any case.

ReputationRep:
    £10 mill well spent for bringing Amanda Thatcher to my attention. I'd her.

Seriously though, it seemed a bit much as the price of the funeral seems to have jumped from £4 mill to £10 mill within the week, but considering things like the security precautions that would have been taken, it's not surprising, really. It probably wouldn't have been so much if protesters hadn't been expected to have been louder than they were. Not even a Tory, and I'm glad that it was respectful for the most part.

It's done now, anyway. So whatevs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordjord96)
    It really is an inordinate amount of TAXPAYER'S money. If she did get us £75b from a euro tax rebate (or something else, I can't remember) then it would seem that this amount really isn't worth it. But then again, the people who will pay most of this tax are the working (OR unemployed) who once lost their jobs BECAUSE of her. For her, that £10m must seem like money well spent.

(In other news, was any one else slightly excited over the news of her being transported 'via gun carriage'? I was expecting her to be fired out over the Thames in one of those Falklands artillery pieces, but oh well...)
    Rich people pay more tax. Fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astrojg)
    Rich people pay more tax. Fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tell that to npower and Vodafone.

ReputationRep:
    The point is that you get the fiscal multiplier regardless of where the money originates from. £10m would only pay for 400 public sector workers on a salary of £25,000 pa.

It's not hard to see why this 'spectacle' can easily make up the costs from the spending of people who have come to the event.
    As I said before basically any form of government spending can be justified like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    As I said before basically any form of government spending can be justified like this.
    How does that derail the benefit of holding the event.... ?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't, the fact still remains that £10m of public money was spent giving a funeral to someone that half the country very strongly opposed and that is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't, the fact still remains that £10m of public money was spent giving a funeral to someone that half the country very strongly opposed and that is wrong.
    Was it half? Geographically half doesn't equal half of the population. We know that a majority liked MT...

ReputationRep:
    Was it half? Geographically half doesn't equal half of the population. We know that a majority liked MT...
    It's hard to say, I live in the north and more hate her than like her for here that's for sure. Most of the southerners I know as well don't like her, but they are mostly of around my age so that's expected. A majority of the country right before the falklands happened hated her, she was the most unpopular PM on record before that kicked off and would have almost certainly lost her third election.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say, I live in the north and more hate her than like her for here that's for sure. Most of the southerners I know as well don't like her, but they are mostly of around my age so that's expected. A majority of the country right before the falklands happened hated her, she was the most unpopular PM on record before that kicked off and would have almost certainly lost her third election.
    You can't just pick and choose which events to take into account for her popularity. The fact is she did not lose her third election. We can only judge her based on what happened, and what she did, in all aspects of her career.

The fact is she was in power for 11 years and it was only in the latter year of that she became particularly unpopular due to the poll tax.

Polling suggests a majority now favour her rather than oppose her. That is a fact. The only fair way of judging opinion is through polling, not through the opinions of yourself and those you know.

ReputationRep:
    because more people would have benefitted from giving 400 Living people their public sector jobs back than one Dead persons funeral and it would have had more of a benefit to the economy. Im sure Margaret doesnt give to toss shes dead. Sorry but thats the reality of the situation ... RIP margaret

ReputationRep:
    Meanwhile the government has spent £2bn buying drones from Israel - yet the public's outrage is directed at an old lady's funeral.

ReputationRep:
    You can't just pick and choose which events to take into account for her popularity. The fact is she did not lose her third election. We can only judge her based on what happened, and what she did, in all aspects of her career.

The fact is she was in power for 11 years and it was only in the latter year of that she became particularly unpopular due to the poll tax.

Polling suggests a majority now favour her rather than oppose her. That is a fact. The only fair way of judging opinion is through polling, not through the opinions of yourself and those you know.
    Most peoples objections to her are based on her economic and social policies and not the Falklands. I don't particularly like the Thatcher/Bush tactic of riding a wave of banal nationalism to a popular mandate and winning an election they otherwise would have stood no chance of winning.

Most of the polls I have seen have been very divided, and I think it's wrong to spend so much public money and to try and create the false image of a nation united and in mourning when that clearly isn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    Nice funeral service, yes a fitting tribute - the Bishop of London's contribution was excellent. Not sure how appropriate the end of the BBC Highlights program was mind:

David Dimbleby: "No-one will forget the woman who, with such single minded determination, won three elections in a row to impose her will on this country"

(Original post by Observatory)
    After spending 0.01% of the budget on a funeral we will surely be bankrupted.
    0.0014% to be strictly accurate (to 4.d.p), a drop in the ocean, particularly when you consider the billions that she was able to claw back from Europe thanks to her single minded determination, the revenues (oil) the Falklands gained thanks to her standing strong in the face of junta aggression, and all the macroeconomic benefits that have arisen as a result of her taking tough steps to revitalise 'the sick man of Europe' :rolleyes: Will also pale into insignificance next to the cost of the Queen's funeral

It is about 0.1% of the budget for 'International Development' e.g. the almost £10 bill we gift to often corrupt authorities who spunk it on things like space programs, the military, 'political expenses' etc.. e.g. political systems in India/Pakistan, Africa etc

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.