Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had a lucid dream years ago. Has there ever been a case of someone thinking they're in a dream when they aren't? Or it basically making people 'crazy'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maccees)
    I had a lucid dream years ago. Has there ever been a case of someone thinking they're in a dream when they aren't? Or it basically making people 'crazy'?
    Not that I know of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Unlucky for some… roll on the posts!
    Haha, I know

ReputationRep:
    28/06/13 (by which I mean, the night between 28/06 and 29/06 :P )
    Had a proper lucid dream last night:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was cycling around where my grandparents live (it's nice and green up there), and I thought "Hmm, why not go down that path over there" - realised "That's not something I would think" and did a reality check. Followed the path anyway, with the intention of "finding my spirit guide" - I was interested to see what kind of animal I thought I was. [I'm not a spiritualistic person - this was purely for interest.] I reached a largeish hedge with a gate in it, went through the gate into a beautiful large square garden with lots and lots of animals in. A couple of birds flew past me - the seagull had a particularly bad reaction to me - and I briefly considered a snail, but (for no reason that I can fathom) my spirit guide turned out to be an orange (a bit larger than a satsuma, but smaller than a large orange). Said orange was human when the plot demanded it (eg. to speak) but there was no process of transformation (I looked away and looked back, and it was human or an orange). The orange couldn't move in orange form, I had to carry it. Followed a very nice country path out the other end of the garden, reaching a small square lawn at the other end, where I sat down to listen to the drum music that had just started. On one side of the lawn I could see the path and a part of my home town; on the other side of the lawn I could see a road and church that are in Cambridge (which is where I study). The church isn't significant - just a landmark. I think I woke up around then.

No particular induction technique - I think this particular lucid came about because of my rationality training (keeping track of my thoughts, noticing when I think something I shouldn't).
    This sounds like an awesome lucid! Do you have any lucid goals by the way?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by djpatch)
    This sounds like an awesome lucid! Do you have any lucid goals by the way?
    I've never done Harry Potter magic, I want to go into space, I still haven't had any proper conversations with myself. Otherwise just not much - whatever occurs to me at the time

ReputationRep:
    I've never done Harry Potter magic, I want to go into space, I still haven't had any proper conversations with myself. Otherwise just not much - whatever occurs to me at the time
    Fair enough. The orange bit made me laugh a little
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Fair enough. The orange bit made me laugh a little
    It surprised me a bit at the time, and a lot on waking

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, do you forget a lot of lucid dreams like you do normal dreams?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    I remember lucid dreams much better - I think that's because it's easier to wake from a lucid dream (and waking from a dream is good for recalling it) and because there's some actual decision-making going on. There's also a conscious desire to remember the dream while you're dreaming, which there isn't normally.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    29/06/13
    Remembered a fair amount I think...
    Not lucid, then, but getting there I find that it really really helps my recall and lucidity to go to bed by 11 at the latest. I went to sleep at 1:45 last night (this morning!) because Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality updated at 1…

I can't tell if I've ever lucid dreamed or not. I've had dreams when I thought I was somewhat controlling what I was doing, but how do I know if that's what would have happened in the dream anyway or it was actually me deciding it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I can't tell if I've ever lucid dreamed or not. I've had dreams when I thought I was somewhat controlling what I was doing, but how do I know if that's what would have happened in the dream anyway or it was actually me deciding it?
    You'll know when you're dreaming, you just do because when you become lucid it's like being conscious. It's hard to explain. Remember a lucid dream is defined not by what happens in a dream but if you know it's a dream

ReputationRep:
    Yes; unless you activtely try to remember the lucid dream, you'll end up forgetting most of it as if it were just a normal dream.

That being said, the dreams I have the best recall over were non-lucids. I guess they were always more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Thats proper strange then as i have experienced lucid dreaming but it occurs every time i sleep. Is that normal its the same dream but more gets added to the dream.

ReputationRep:
    Once when I was about 6 or 7, I had this really weird dream that I've always remembered. I was lying in bed and was really thirsty, so I went downstairs to get a drink, every time I reached for a glass I'd 'wake up' and have to do it all again. It seemed like it went on for hours, just kept waking into another identical dream...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJMS)
    Once when I was about 6 or 7, I had this really weird dream that I've always remembered. I was lying in bed and was really thirsty, so I went downstairs to get a drink, every time I reached for a glass I'd 'wake up' and have to do it all again. It seemed like it went on for hours, just kept waking into another identical dream...
    That's cool man. When I was about 5, I had this nightmare where I'd be on a stage and an infinite invisible audience would throw soft plastic balls at me. I couldn't see anything, just darkness and plastic balls. I couldn't feel the balls because they'd go through me.

It's a reoccurring dream, but I only get it when I'm ill. I remember years ago I woke up during it at my grandmas house and I was heavily gasping for air. Grandma was like wtf

Posted from TSR iPad. Don't judge me by my red gems

I had a lucid dream!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.