Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    That's pretty obvious surely? Their aim was to cause as much damage to the US/UK as possible. Hijacking planes and running them into the WTC cost america literally hundreds of billions of dollars. Its got to be the most successful declaration of war of all time.

Hitting a subway system similarly causes a big economic impact.

Bombing a marathon just kills people and nothing else. Why would you do that?
    Look, there will NEVER be another 9/11. NEVER, EVER, EVER. It was a once in a lifetime tragedy, thank goodness.

Nobody will ever be able to orchestrate such a huge act of terrorism again. FFS, I even have to take off my belt and wristwatch these days when I go through security at the airport. :rolleyes:

Any act of terrorism these days, will be smalltime in comparison to 9/11, yet every time it will keep the terrorist scum in the headlines, and also kill a few innocent people each time.

ReputationRep:
    BOSTON, April 15 (Reuters) - Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said on Monday that officials did not know of any specific threats before three devices exploded in Boston on Monday that killed at least two people.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the whole arrest thing might not be entirely accurate:

A spokesperson for the Boston Police Department said no suspects have been taken into custody yet after the bombing at the Boston Marathon.

"At this time, we haven't been notified of any arrests or anyone apprehended," the spokesperson said.

The New York Post reported that a "Saudi national who suffered shrapnel wounds in today's blast" has been identified as "a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing." The Boston PD spokesperson did not confirm that report.

"Honestly, I don't know where they're getting their information from, but it didn't come from us," said the spokesperson.

The Post report was attributed to "a law enforcement source." According to the Post, the "suspect" is "currently being guarded in a Boston hospital."
    http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...e-been-made-in

ReputationRep:
    They said 2 bomb devices exploded and several more have been found and also rumours of a third explosion.
    Source - Sky Sports News

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    إِنَّا لِلّهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ for any Muslims that passed away in this.

Hopefully not, but if it was, then I wouldn't be suprised if it may be a revenge attack for the Muslim Afghan children killed by USA a week ago;

Afghan Children Reported Among Dead in U.S. Strike
    No sympathy for the non-muslims? Bewildering first line of your post.

ReputationRep:
    100+ confirmed wounded now. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfy^)
    Apparently an unattended military bag in front of Deaconess Hospital
    In news speak, a camo or olive green bag probably qualifies as military. But yeah it was confirmed bags where being investigated by EOD teams by the police on the live statement.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by RachaelBee)
    Police statement said it was a bomb that they haven't confirmed was related but they are treating it as such, there was a controlled explosion on Boylston Street.
    Thank you for clearing this up.

ReputationRep:
    Unconfirmed reports of explosion in Tufts Medical Centre.

I've had enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Look, there will NEVER be another 9/11. NEVER, EVER, EVER. It was a once in a lifetime tragedy, thank goodness.

Nobody will ever be able to orchestrate such a huge act of terrorism again. FFS, I even have to take off my belt and wristwatch these days when I go through security at the airport. :rolleyes:

Any act of terrorism these days, will be smalltime in comparison to 9/11, yet every time it will keep the terrorist scum in the headlines, and also kill a few innocent people each time.
    George Bush will never be elected again, so there will never be 9/11 again

ReputationRep:
    And of course to add to all this : North Korea have threatened to attack South Korea WITHOUT warning !

ReputationRep:
    Ruddy terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    And of course to add to all this : North Korea have threatened to attack South Korea WITHOUT warning !
    if they do that, kim jong un is just an idiot, NK will be obliterated if they attack SK

ReputationRep:
    http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/6254/web

Boston PD police radio. In case someone wants to listen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)

Thats extremely naive. Not only will there be another 9/11 , there will be something far worse, albeit not as visual but wait until a dirty bomb goes off there will be tens of thousands dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knope)
    Dear The Atlantic,

In what world is it necessary to post a picture of an injured party being taken away from the scene with a disconcerting amount of bare leg bone showing, covered in blood, etc? I'm not even talking just about their readers' sensibilities, but this person has been seriously injured and now he also has to deal with having what was, probably, a terrifying moment for him immortalised. Some things need to stay private.

Urgh.
    Completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts with those killed and injured, an event of that nature does not deserve to be attached with something as horrific as this.

Unsure whether the one at the library is being counted as involved as I read that there was to be a controlled explosion there was pre-planned prior to the marathon.

I hope, unlike the Norway attacks, the media doesn't become judge, jury executioner before the facts are ascertained. But even with the questioning of correspondents, they don't want to be explicit about the motive behind it but asking "Do you know erm, what the bigger picture is behind this?" like anyone is likely to know so soon after the event.

ReputationRep:
    Is it silly to be worried about the London Marathon now? My sister and brother are running and I'm not sure whether to go or not (as I will be in the crowds, I just feel a bit weary now, I like to avoid pain at all costs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StormXibalba)
    Thats extremely naive. Not only will there be another 9/11 , there will be something far worse, albeit not as visual but wait until a dirty bomb goes off there will be tens of thousands dead.
    We have been fearing that since 9/11. Never happened, though, has it?

True, it might one day, but the chances of that happening are less than a thermo-nuclear war.

Kim Jung-Un likes this.

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.