Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any idea what essays we should be learning/practising?
    I have no idea where to start with modern studies revision and the exam is like a week away!

so within the topics like Health and Wealth, Africa etc what essays titles are ones you should make plans on? or am i going about this the wrong way?

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know roughly how many words the answers to the Modern Studies Higher exam should be? (15 mark questions)
    My essays are always either too long or too short apparently. Grrrrr

ReputationRep:
    Mine are about 2 A4 pages and 3 lines - but I have kinda big writing!

ReputationRep:
    yep about 2 and a half pages and i usually try and stop there.

ReputationRep:
    So for the Voting Systems is everyone just learning FPTP, AMS and STV? What are the chances of AV or SV coming up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmissi)
    So for the Voting Systems is everyone just learning FPTP, AMS and STV? What are the chances of AV or SV coming up?
    Frankly, I wouldn't bother touching AV or SV. I think it would be quite cruel of the SQA to give us a Q on those two. Well, considering I don't even know what SV is, I sincerely hope not.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any advice as to how to keep my DME report short and concise. I've never been able to get round to doing 3 complete arguments on each side because I have a tendency to repeat myself and "waffle." As a result, I got 20/30 for a DME which we did in class time last week, although I know that if I were more succinct I could get that up to 26-27. I think the main reason my arguments are so long is that I constantly feel I have to "justify" my answer, if you know what I mean...

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said to us:

Voting systems: AMS, but learn STV AND FPTP for a comparison.
    Health and Wealth: inequalities in general but lifestyle choices came up last year so it probably won't be that, but its good to know anyway
    USA: ethnic minorities participation, representation and progress made
    AFRICA: I think she said NGO's or African governments I think

I'm looking for some as well, hope my teachers are close and this helps

ReputationRep:
    As there are two questions on health and wealth, could I leave out revising all government policies and just answer whatever other question comes up on inequalities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, are all ethnic minority questions in the USA topic (affecting elections, political progress etc) always going to be participation, representation and impact on elections???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmissi)

What about Party List or does everybody think that wont come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraberryxx)
    My teacher said to us:

Voting systems: AMS, but learn STV AND FPTP for a comparison.
    Health and Wealth: inequalities in general but lifestyle choices came up last year so it probably won't be that, but its good to know anyway
    USA: ethnic minorities participation, representation and progress made
    AFRICA: I think she said NGO's or African governments I think

I'm looking for some as well, hope my teachers are close and this helps
    I'm doing exactly the same as you.
    Although what do you mean precisely when you say African governments? Do you reckon there could be a Q on the impact of poor governance on development?

ReputationRep:
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! What three things would you talk about on the question of ethnic minorities influencing the outcome of elections???? Is that the same question as them being alienated from the political system/political progress???? So just participation, representation and voting power? Please help thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amber_sss)
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! What three things would you talk about on the question of ethnic minorities influencing the outcome of elections???? Is that the same question as them being alienated from the political system/political progress???? So just participation, representation and voting power? Please help thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I started with a big paragraph on how they can influence the elections then just mentioned other factors that are influential and got 13 out of 15

ReputationRep:
    Eh? Last year it was either the Welfare State or gender/ethnic inequalities. A question on lifestyle choices hasn't been asked directly since 2010.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarwalk49)
    I started with a big paragraph on how they can influence the elections then just mentioned other factors that are influential and got 13 out of 15
    Ohhh okay, thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jambo95)
    Eh? Last year it was either the Welfare State or gender/ethnic inequalities. A question on lifestyle choices hasn't been asked directly since 2010.
    But all the other years there has been one question on welfare/govt etc and one on a factor affecting wealth or health, so I was wondering if I could just revise one of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My teacher's predictions:

Decision making in central government
    Back Bench MP's or a question on the Whips has not come up since 2009 2010 (can't remember haha).
    Pressure groups (democracy)

Voting Systems particularly AMS, Party List

Africa Development
    Corrupt governments influencing development
    or
    Non- government - organisations

Health & Wealth Inequalities
    social and economical factors

ReputationRep:
    These are my teachers and tutors predictions!

Electoral Systems - 1D
    * PR Systems - AMS

Health & Wealth
    * Link between income & health

USA
    *Powers of the President or Supreme Court + Congress vs President

China
    * Unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confused!)
    These are my teachers and tutors predictions!

Electoral Systems - 1D
    * PR Systems - AMS

Health & Wealth
    * Link between income & health

USA
    *Powers of the President or Supreme Court + Congress vs President

China
    * Unsure.
    That president question came up last year???

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.