Which questions did you guys answer?
Original post by chelseafan
Which questions did you guys answer?

Q1 and 3 - you? :smile:
1 and 3 as well :smile:
Exam was rather easy.

Answers that I put

Reasons for immigration (12 mks) - Technology, persecution and good economy
big business growth of economy (24 mks) - talked about Carengie mass producing steel and selling it abroad, then non importance of big biz: technology (steel plough, refrigerated container and lightbulb), immigrantion (cheap labour) and Great Plains opening (mass produce crops etc.)

Prohibition repeal (12 mks): public opinion, crime and tax for alcohol
new deal success in sipport (24 mks): huey long initially supported - turned against, coughlin initially supported - turned against, supreme court, and public opinion (forgot about p.o. Until last 5 mins of exam - wrote down quickly about fireside chats).

Good points?
Was forced to do 1& 2. Wish our class had covered 3 as that seemed easier.

Phil i put exactly the same reasons as you for reasons for immigration.
Was forced to do 1& 2. Wish our class had covered 3 as that seemed easier.

Phil i put exactly the same reasons as you for reasons for immigration.

I was going to do 2! What did you put to show isolationism for q2b? :smile:
Reply 227
Original post by Phil Dunphy
I was going to do 2! What did you put to show isolationism for q2b? :smile:

Normalcy- is a general idea not a policy focusing on diplomacy and domestic issues
so Washington Naval conference 1921
Kellogg-Briand Pact 1928
Immigration quotas- 1921, 1924

Not normalcy
Intervention in Nicaragua with troops- 1924
Dawes and Young Plan help germans pay reparations.

Just my ideas couldnt think of anything else.
Messed up the big business question i think. I said that it was important but other factors like atural resources and technology helped to lay the foundations and big business exploited this with yankee ingenuity, conglomerates (merges) abd unfair practices to dominate international markets and spread US exports etc. Talked about ww1 mobilisng the economy but cant beloeve i forgot immigration grrrrr. But otherwise nice test and questions grade boundaries probably quite high.
12 markers were really good for me. Just wished 24 m arguments were stronger. Put in a lot of relevant quotes though.

now to revise Impact of Stalins Leadership for next wednesday :smile: what unit 2 are you doing?
Anyone doing British history for unit 2?
Original post by shaw16
Normalcy- is a general idea not a policy focusing on diplomacy and domestic issues
so Washington Naval conference 1921
Kellogg-Briand Pact 1928
Immigration quotas- 1921, 1924

Not normalcy
Intervention in Nicaragua with troops- 1924
Dawes and Young Plan help germans pay reparations.

Just my ideas couldnt think of anything else.
Messed up the big business question i think. I said that it was important but other factors like atural resources and technology helped to lay the foundations and big business exploited this with yankee ingenuity, conglomerates (merges) abd unfair practices to dominate international markets and spread US exports etc. Talked about ww1 mobilisng the economy but cant beloeve i forgot immigration grrrrr. But otherwise nice test and questions grade boundaries probably quite high.
12 markers were really good for me. Just wished 24 m arguments were stronger. Put in a lot of relevant quotes though.

now to revise Impact of Stalins Leadership for next wednesday :smile: what unit 2 are you doing?

I was going to do question 2b but could only think of interventionism not isolationism :frown:

Big business Q sounds good. You don't have to disagree or agree. You've agreed and used evidence from other factors to support it.

I said:

Big business

Carnegie, JP Morgan

Carnegie mass production of steel

Sold steel to other countries then the government taxed Carnegie and therefore he pumped money into economy (weak point imo)

Technology

Steel plough - Mass production of crop

Lightbulb (invented 1879) became a household item in the 1890s and businesses were able to stay open longer hours (forgot to explain why they could open longer; surely the examiner understands? :colondollar:)

Refrigerated container - Briefly talked about this and the meat industry

Opening of the Great Plains

lots of space to grow crops

Create food send abroad make money

Immigration

Cheap labour

Employers didn't have to pay as much money to the workers -> Bigger profits & their families had more money to spend on leisure goods, therefore, pumping money into the economy

I am doing Chairman Mao for Unit 2 :O
Going to put my predicted marks down on here and compare them to the real result...

Q1. 10/12. 18/24.

Q3. 9/12. 16/24.

53/72. Might have lost more marks on Q3 12 marker didn't explain why Al Capone benefite from Prohibition very well - said something about bootlegging then mentioned law enforcement and patrolling borders.

Going to try and do better in my Unit 2 - this was scrappy in places
Reply 231
Exam wasn't that hard I think. I did question 1 and 3, I really liked 2b but I didnt knew anything about League of Nations...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 232
I did question 1 and 2, again because I didn't do new deal:

Q1) Immigration : Persecution // Economic Hardships // Cheap Labour and Direct Recruitment from industrial barons like Henry Ford
Q2) Big Business: Andrew Carnegie, John D Rockefeller, JP Morgan and "Morganization" // Natural Resources // Expansionism // Immigration

Q3) Irreconcilables // Immigration and Senators // Wilson not popular
Q4) ISOLATIONIST: Tariffs // Immigration INTERNATIONALIST: 1921 + 1927 Conference // International Loans and Treaties

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

I think I've got about 50 - 55, mine was also VERY scrappy in places and my god my hand was dying, when the woman said 10mins left I was going to cry !!

Don't want to end up resitting next year, Im praying I get an A, although my answer to Q3 was very poor.
Reply 233
Original post by studentone
what was question 2a?

lool have you done the exam
Reply 234

Was Mao as evil as Stalin?
Let me give you a heads up on what stalin did:

a) Used collectivisation to stimulate industrial growth to provide grain for the workers- in the process killed up 10 million kulaks (rich peasants) who were either shot, deported or exiled. Killed 7+ million in Ukraine with famines in early 1930s.
b) Made stealing from the workplace punishable by death.
c) During the Great Terror, 1 in 20 people were arrested. Up to 2 million in the cities alone were sent to gulags/labour camps.
d) Turned against his old friends in the Bolshevik Party and had most of them executed after a show trial.
e) Neglected his second wife who committed suicide.
f) Appointed some twisted f***ers to lead the NKVD (secret police). Arranged quotas to be set on the number of people to be killed as clase enemies.

Overall- pretty evil. :angry: :eek:
Paranoid, vengeful, wife beater, allowed deaths of MILLIONS of his own people.

Did Mao do anything like this? :smile:
Reply 235
Original post by studentone
of course - i did question 1 and 2 but i am just checking the wording of 2a

Pretty sure question 2a was;

Explain why the USA did not join the League of Nations.

Or along those lines. :colondollar:

I talked about;
the Irreconciliables opposed entry- (senator Borah quite influential) as did Henry Cabot Lodge.
Public mood changed to isolationist views- WW1 and deaths- avoid foreign entanglements.
Wilson refused to make concessions to Republicans due to his ill health.
Wilson losing popularity- Wilsonian Idealism and progressivism fading.
I ****ed up the normalcy one because i only had 15 minutes to it. Think i got a C/B.
I ****ed up the normalcy one because i only had 15 minutes to it. Think i got a C/B.

I ****ed up the New Deal question so I am thinking I may have got a B.
Original post by shaw16

Was Mao as evil as Stalin?
Let me give you a heads up on what stalin did:

a) Used collectivisation to stimulate industrial growth to provide grain for the workers- in the process killed up 10 million kulaks (rich peasants) who were either shot, deported or exiled. Killed 7+ million in Ukraine with famines in early 1930s.
b) Made stealing from the workplace punishable by death.
c) During the Great Terror, 1 in 20 people were arrested. Up to 2 million in the cities alone were sent to gulags/labour camps.
d) Turned against his old friends in the Bolshevik Party and had most of them executed after a show trial.
e) Neglected his second wife who committed suicide.
f) Appointed some twisted f***ers to lead the NKVD (secret police). Arranged quotas to be set on the number of people to be killed as clase enemies.

Overall- pretty evil. :angry: :eek:
Paranoid, vengeful, wife beater, allowed deaths of MILLIONS of his own people.

Did Mao do anything like this? :smile:

Did similar things including requisitioning foods, purges, and the Cultural Revolution (encouraging the youth to beat to death "bourgeois" and "bureaucratic" elements in China).
The questions were not too hard and therefore the grade boundaries will be quite higher to get an A or C...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending