Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmatovey)
    My parents won't be charging my board (already discussed it with them) and in the summer, where I work will be employing again, so if I text my manager in April/May, she's said that she'll keep a vacancy aside for me if I want it as she'd happily have me back again.
    Also, I've calculated my living cost as all weeks but the summer and so when I'm at home for easter/christmas, I'll save those weeks money for the summer
    That's nice that she would do that! And that is quite logically planned. From what I've seen it seems like people won't have any money whilst they're not at uni. But you've obviously planned it
    My course is 45 weeks a year (I said earlier 44 but emailed to confirm and it's 45). It works out roughly around the same price for me to find cheaper private accommodation and live there all year than what it would staying in halls and going home for my small summer that I get. Plus Ive got a transfer sorted so il be earning whilst I'm there which I probably wouldn't be whilst I'm at home. Dot think my store would let me come back for only two weeks at a time ha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyab)
    To people who are only calculating their money by the amount of weeks they're at uni, I'm just curious to what you plan on doing about money when you're at home if you can't get a job?
    I haven't discussed it with my parents (probably should soon, given that the summer starts in just over a month) but in my head the plan is to either live as frugally as possible off my parents, or if I can get a job to give my parents some of what I earn from it.

ReputationRep:
    That's nice that she would do that! And that is quite logically planned. From what I've seen it seems like people won't have any money whilst they're not at uni. But you've obviously planned it
    My course is 45 weeks a year (I said earlier 44 but emailed to confirm and it's 45). It works out roughly around the same price for me to find cheaper private accommodation and live there all year than what it would staying in halls and going home for my small summer that I get. Plus Ive got a transfer sorted so il be earning whilst I'm there which I probably wouldn't be whilst I'm at home. Dot think my store would let me come back for only two weeks at a time ha
    Yeah, she's lovely and I'm over the moon that she's said that to me!
    Haha, I'm a bit of a worrier so it puts my mind at ease to think about it thoroughly!
    Do you work for a big company?
    I work for M&S and my manager's trying to sort a transfer for me (so hopefully I'll also be working when at uni). If I can get a transfer, I think (because they're such a big company) that I'll be able to transfer back to the summer as my current employees have said that others have done it in the past. I won't be able to transfer for easter and christmas, but due to my uni accommodation only being 44 weeks of the year, I'd either have to leave the company, have unpaid time off, or transfer to my current store again as I wouldn't be able to afford to rent a private place for the summer just for work!
    Maybe you could try asking your company about that? Obviously every company is different but I guess it's worth a shot if it'll be worth it to go home in the summer and transfer store?

ReputationRep:
    My maintenance loan comes up £1000 short in paying for accommodation which is around £4800 (£127 per week).
    So my parents will be paying the extra for that and also my living costs. I'm not sure exactly how much I'll be living on per week... Haven't really spoken to my parents about it yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Stupid was perhaps too strong a word (and i of course exempt London) but if you go private in September there will be cheaper rates. I thought ahead like you both in first year and paid £112 for the privilege, in September the prices were dropped to £83 and so i waited this year and it paid off.

Well thanks for sharing advice with us- I applied for my accommodation today... While your advice may be valid, I'm not a gambler.. even with applying early I am still taking the chance that I will end up having to share a bathroom with ... 'unclean/ lazy/ disgusting?' people. But by your logic, there should be plenty of en suites going, so I should definitely get one. I will hold on to that thought until the moment when I (possibly) get given a twin room with a bathroom I have to share with 12 people!! -Actually I'm sure it won't be that bad (fingers crossed!!).

ReputationRep:
    I was working this out the other day (glad it's not just me who has to think about cash!)

I'd be living on just under £70 without a part time job, and without savings (I took a gap year to get some savings worrying about money. After I figured out £70 a week, I thought this year was a bit dumb, but always nice to have some extra).

Also, I think looking at where you're going is important. I'm going to Sheffield, and from what I've been told, living there is pretty cheap

ReputationRep:
    I really need to analyse my costs actually...

ReputationRep:
    I should have around £120 if I fancy an en-suite, £140 if I don't, being poor has finally paid off.

ReputationRep:
    I think I worked out that I had about £70 left over per week, based on 38 weeks. It's more than I thought I would have but I did purposely choose non ensuite so that I have a bit more money left over and because I wasn't too fussed about needing my own bathroom. My parents might help a little bit too if I need it, as they did with my sister.

I do think the means tested system is a bit unfair on some other people though. If your parents earned a high salary, you'd get no grant and the loan probably wouldn't even cover the cost of accommodation. It's expected that parents would give their children financial help, but not all parents necessarily believe in that.

But I suppose there isn't enough money to fully fund every student, and some wouldn't need it, so I guess the system is there to give help to students who are most likely to need it.

ReputationRep:
    Folks, remember not to calculate your money for 39 weeks, you should calculate you're grant and loan money for the whole year, 52 weeks. If you calculate you're financial budget for 39 weeks of the year, you could become stuck for the following summer, unless you can get a PT summer job or generous parents.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid was perhaps too strong a word (and i of course exempt London) but if you go private in September there will be cheaper rates. I thought ahead like you both in first year and paid £112 for the privilege, in September the prices were dropped to £83 and so i waited this year and it paid off.
    Well I'm going for some of the cheapest accommodation anyway because I can't afford otherwise, and I'd rather not risk having none at all than hoping for a discount!

What university do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, she's lovely and I'm over the moon that she's said that to me!
    Haha, I'm a bit of a worrier so it puts my mind at ease to think about it thoroughly!
    Do you work for a big company?
    I work for M&S and my manager's trying to sort a transfer for me (so hopefully I'll also be working when at uni). If I can get a transfer, I think (because they're such a big company) that I'll be able to transfer back to the summer as my current employees have said that others have done it in the past. I won't be able to transfer for easter and christmas, but due to my uni accommodation only being 44 weeks of the year, I'd either have to leave the company, have unpaid time off, or transfer to my current store again as I wouldn't be able to afford to rent a private place for the summer just for work!
    Maybe you could try asking your company about that? Obviously every company is different but I guess it's worth a shot if it'll be worth it to go home in the summer and transfer store?
    yeah McDonald's ha. theyve said i can transfer back in the holidays if i wanted to. but i dont think they realise i only have 7 weeks off a year. i dont see the point to be honest. when for the same price i could have a place to live constantly, and work where i will be for uni. ive got my transfer sorted already and they asked me in the holidays if i would work extra hours and i said yeah. plus i dont like the store im at now any more so i dont want to come back. plus, my sister has plans for my room when i leave (we share a room and i take up most of it). so when i move out ive practically left home for good.
    so theres many reasons i wont be going home haha. it just works out more simpler if i stay where i will be for uni.
    and a big also... il be living with my boyfriend, so i really dont have any incentive to come home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vaguity)
    Well I'm going for some of the cheapest accommodation anyway because I can't afford otherwise, and I'd rather not risk having none at all than hoping for a discount!

What university do you go to?
    Leeds Met. I stay in private accommodation though (Plaza last year, Opal 3 this).

ReputationRep:
    Ill be 1000 in the negative before I even can think about eating

ReputationRep:
    £65 per week, however I need to factor an extra 3 months accommodation into that :/ And I won't be able to get a job with contracted hours...

Ah well, being poor is part of the experience, right?

ReputationRep:
    yeah McDonald's ha. theyve said i can transfer back in the holidays if i wanted to. but i dont think they realise i only have 7 weeks off a year. i dont see the point to be honest. when for the same price i could have a place to live constantly, and work where i will be for uni. ive got my transfer sorted already and they asked me in the holidays if i would work extra hours and i said yeah. plus i dont like the store im at now any more so i dont want to come back. plus, my sister has plans for my room when i leave (we share a room and i take up most of it). so when i move out ive practically left home for good.
    so theres many reasons i wont be going home haha. it just works out more simpler if i stay where i will be for uni.
    and a big also... il be living with my boyfriend, so i really dont have any incentive to come home!
    Fair enough. If you can get it for the same price, why not?
    Oh fair enough! Haha, mine's the same...my sister is so excited to have a room to herself, but she'll just have to deal with me in the holidays
    Ah that sounds nice! In all honesty, I don't think I'll be going back home as often as my parents want me to, I won't be able to afford it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jwhiston)
    Ill be 1000 in the negative before I even can think about eating
    Ouch! I take it that your parents have an income that means you don't get a great loan?

(Original post by Gnome :))
    £65 per week, however I need to factor an extra 3 months accommodation into that :/ And I won't be able to get a job with contracted hours...

Ah well, being poor is part of the experience, right?

Hahaha, exactly! It seems that people will either be poor, or living the high life!
    We'll all have fun living on our small budgets and eating food that is no good for us

ReputationRep:
    Leeds Met. I stay in private accommodation though (Plaza last year, Opal 3 this).
    Ahh okay. Can I ask how much you spend on bills roughly per week/month? (trying to spread my savings out accordingly so I'll be able to afford private housing after first year)

ReputationRep:

Hahaha, exactly! It seems that people will either be poor, or living the high life!
    We'll all have fun living on our small budgets and eating food that is no good for us
    I don't know how people have so much money on here! I came on wanting to feel reassured about how much I have to live on to be faced with people who have over £100 per week hmph. Even with the cheapest accommodation I can find (excluding shared rooms) I have £85 (and i'm not having that accommodation cos I don't like it, it looks dull, and I think I'd rather have £15-20 less to live on but ok accommodation) Beans, cheap digestive biscuits (according to my mum), cheap basic pizzas, possibly noodles are what we'll be living on be an experience!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm a bit confused - because I get the maximum maintenance grants/loans from SF plus a Cambridge bursary that works out to about 10,700. My accommodation is about 2500 a year, so that still leaves me with £340 per week, if you only count the 25ish weeks of term, or £158 spread over the whole year. Surely that can't be right? :lolwut:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.