Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrissyH)
    Just realised I did the listening essay wrong. First English and now this, why do I always get the question wrong when it's the most important...fml

What did you write? At least it's only the small essay, it's only 4-6 marks you will lose at most! You will be fine I presume!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quick-use)
    Honestly, you will not get 4/10 :lol: I remember it was said that the SQA won't penalise you if you miss 1 bullet-point, so why would they penalise you if you wrote a lot which may seem irrelevant? And, anyways, technically speaking it could be that you're referring to your hometown as a holiday place for things to do. There's a few ways to interpret it. Just remember that in the short essay, if your grammar is great and so is your content, you will most likely get an 8 or a 10.

Don't worry - honestly! Sounds to me like you just had a fantastic exam! If you're still worried, then how about this: I got 6/20 for my listening in the exam (), but I still managed to get solid A. That said, the listening essay is only worth half the marks and also, they're really not that harsh in marking it!
    I am bad at listening but luckily I am sure that I have at least 10/20 . Thank you for your words, I feel better about it now... I am just hoping that the SQA will allow leeway for interpretations of the questions since a handful of people have done the same as me. It was totally relevant to what I thought the question was.

I mean you could argue that I did not directly answer the question but in a French writing but I did talk about what people could do where I live. It wasn't like I started talking about dogs or something completely random. And I used a lot of those phrases that you posted in some other thread .

Thank you so much again. I really appreciate the help you gave me the other day. Even though I never used those writings in my exam, you gave me an explanation of my mistakes and I did not make them again .

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about everyone else on here, but I am pretty sure the second part of the personal response essay was asking what there was for tourists to do and young people where you lived.

I found the exam alright overall, quite pleased although the directed writing threw me a little, but managed to work round it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM1996)
    I'm kinda gutted about not taking AH next year as well, I don't mind French and it now feels weird that I will never do it again after 7 years or so (If you include primary haha)
    French in primary school, where you learned to count to ten and what is in your pencil case...LOL.

I might even swap AH Bio for AH French because I like it so much now! And the French department in my school is very good, it doesn't matter what teacher you get, he/she is an expert in their field. However the same cannot be said...especially for Biology. It will all depend on what my results are. But I really do not want to take AH Bio either way.

What are you doing next year btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FeelingofSuccess)
    Don't know about everyone else on here, but I am pretty sure the second part of the personal response essay was asking what there was for tourists to do and young people where you lived.

I found the exam alright overall, quite pleased although the directed writing threw me a little, but managed to work round it
    It is encouraging that you did that for the short essay. I thought that it meant that too since how can you know what people can do where you want to go? I am not sure if it is wrong or right- did you ask your teacher by any chance?

I spent around 35 mins on DW, mainly looking through my dictionary for words. Did you translate sports competitions as "la competition sportives"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoJennyox)
    French in primary school, where you learned to count to ten and what is in your pencil case...LOL.

I might even swap AH Bio for AH French because I like it so much now! And the French department in my school is very good, it doesn't matter what teacher you get, he/she is an expert in their field. However the same cannot be said...especially for Biology. It will all depend on what my results are. But I really do not want to take AH Bio either way.

What are you doing next year btw?
    Your school is Identical to mine, crap science department and one of the best language departments in Scotland (not joking, better than most private schools, we have 15 in the AH class for next year only from the one higher class

Em I'm choosing ironically enough

AH Chem
    H Physics
    Self Study Bus Man
    Resit Maths probs haha (probs a C)

You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quick-use)
    Why do you think you've done it wrong?
    I wrote solely about a particular holiday and then wrote about what you could do in the place I was writing about rather than my own area

ReputationRep:
    Well, I felt that exam went pretty well. The reading was generally straightforward and I think I may have done enough for full marks on the listening paper. Both writing pieces were good, but I was annoyed that I didn't use more complex constructions.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the exam went well, directed writing was a bit different found the topic a little challenging. However, the reading & listening were straightforward enough and the essay was reasonable. I found the short essay was very basic vocabulary there was little complex phrases you could use. It was just like listing the things in my town for tourists etc. Anyone willing to share there answers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For the listening, did you say that her grandparents spoilt her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrissyH)
    I wrote solely about a particular holiday and then wrote about what you could do in the place I was writing about rather than my own area
    I don't think you'd lose marks to be honest and even if you do, maybe 1 or 2. To be honest, for the short essay, it's all about the grammar than the content.

I think that if your grammar is really good, you'll get an 8 or a 10. So, if they choose to deduct marks (which I'm not sure they will to be honest) at the least you'll get is a 6 or 7 from that essay even if you answered it differently!

ReputationRep:
    I found it to be a good paper. The reading and listening were straightforward and I think I could score highly on that. The directed writing was alright once I got into it. I just rambled on about "un tournoi sportif". The short essay was also straightforward, but holidays is just such a dull topic to write about. I interpreted the question a bit differently as I didn't actually talk about my hometown, but rather Scotland as a whole. Nevertheless, I hope the SQA marks leniently. NO MORE EXAMS!!!

ReputationRep:
    For the listening did you say it was an island in France 3000km from the us
    Also, for 2. Her dad worked in a hospital in the suburbs of France and he married her mum?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    For the listening, did you say that her grandparents spoilt her?
    Yes I did. I think this means we have the right answer!

And for the second part of the short essay, what did you write about? Where you live or where you wanted to go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weejackie10)
    For the listening did you say it was an island in France 3000km from the us
    Also, for 2. Her dad worked in a hospital in the suburbs of France and he married her mum?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spot on.
    Although, tbh, I did think 3000km may have been a slight exaggeration on the SQA's part. I don't think it's that far away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoJennyox)
    Yes I did. I think this means we have the right answer!

And for the second part of the short essay, what did you write about? Where you live or where you wanted to go?
    Yay
    I wrote about where I prefer going on holiday and then I discussed what tourists can do in Aberdeen, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Your school is Identical to mine, crap science department and one of the best language departments in Scotland (not joking, better than most private schools, we have 15 in the AH class for next year only from the one higher class

Em I'm choosing ironically enough

AH Chem
    H Physics
    Self Study Bus Man
    Resit Maths probs haha (probs a C)

You?
    Wow, it sounds like your school is serious about French. We only have like 3 people doing it next year! And 4 if I decide to study it. Not many people at my school tak AHs since we don't need them for unconditionals here.

I will be doing AH Eng, AH His and AH Bio next year. It should be fun...I kind of miss doing 5 Highers. They tell you that the work load is immense but it really isn't compared to AHs.

And you have probably done okay in maths, do you need a certain grade for that subject?

ReputationRep:
    For question 1 was it a 14 or 4 hour plane journey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    Yay
    I wrote about where I prefer going on holiday and then I discussed what tourists can do in Aberdeen, etc.
    What a bloody relief. I am not even joking you. My teacher told me that you were supposed to write about what there is to do where you wanted to go on holiday. However she did not have the chance to read the paper fully.

But I found this obscure and the word "home" was mentioned so I assumed it meant something personal and therefore your own area.

Half of the people in my class wrote about what one could do in another country. I have been stressing about this since the exam. Did anyone else in your class encounter this?

ReputationRep:
    For question 1 was it a 14 or 4 hour plane journey?
    No idea i got 3000km from usa, could also have said it was an isle of France, in the Caribbean.

Can you remember any other answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.