Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by joker12345)
    Agreed. I do think Sarah should apologise first though, smacking your step daughter is out of order.
    But apologising first would make her seem more grown up and therefore be better in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    Your feelings are very understandable. You lost your mum, and Sarah can never replace her. But for better or for worse, you two are stuck with each other until you leave home for college or uni (she is going nowhere). MissNix's advice is spot on - if you want to be treated like an adult, you have to act like one, and that might mean compromises.
    I just want to thank you for being such a big help with my relationship with Sarah (who I call mum now) Reading back on my thread I don't know how you were that patient especially when I was being a brat. I don't know how you didn' t say some other stuff and say how much of a brat I was being because if I was someone responding to this thread I wouldn't have been as kind and patient so thank you Molly x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But apologising first would make her seem more grown up and therefore be better in the long term.
    My relationship with Sarah has gotten so much better. Thank you for everything and also thank you for not accusing me and saying that I am a brat because with all the advice you gave me it helped my relationship with my mum (I call Sarah mum now) I have a happier family thank you for your help Molly xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    It's only really become popular in recent years due to Supernanny advocating its use on TV. It seems to be pretty damn effective as long as you're persistent (as you should be if you want any form of discipline to work).

I don't think I had any kind of punishment, ever - but then I was an angel. :angel:
    I want to thank you for the adivce you gave. It was helpfull and I appreciate it. my relationship is much better with my mum (sarah) thank you Molly x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roar:))
    I want to thank you for the adivce you gave. It was helpfull and I appreciate it. my relationship is much better with my mum (sarah) thank you Molly x
    You're very welcome.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to thank you for being such a big help with my relationship with Sarah (who I call mum now) Reading back on my thread I don't know how you were that patient especially when I was being a brat. I don't know how you didn' t say some other stuff and say how much of a brat I was being because if I was someone responding to this thread I wouldn't have been as kind and patient so thank you Molly x
    You're welcome, and I'm glad things are much better now. I'm sure there will be occasional setbacks along the way, but nothing you can't handle if you think of others as well as yourself. I'm sure you and your family are going to be fine - good luck!

My relationship with Sarah has gotten so much better. Thank you for everything and also thank you for not accusing me and saying that I am a brat because with all the advice you gave me it helped my relationship with my mum (I call Sarah mum now) I have a happier family thank you for your help Molly xx
    No problem. I am very glad that things are going well.
    As another poster said, there will be times when you don't get along and have arguments. This is normal family life though, and the important thing is how you deal with those and move on. My best tip for continuing things in the future is to keep talking to each other. Communication is one of the most important factors in any relationship. If things aren't going your way, or you find yourself getting angry, take time out and think for a bit.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy having a new baby in the family soon! (Remember that this may change things slightly, as a newborn is very stressful, but try to be helpful and understanding and I'm sure things will go well).

ReputationRep:
    I lost my mum ages ago and my dad decided he would re marry. He now has a new wife and his wife has a 3 year old son. I don't like Sarah (new wife) She has stupid rules. I feel her rules are stupid so I don't follow some of them. I listen to my dad because he is my dad. She doesn't like it if I don't eat what she makes or if I don't listen to her. If i do something like cuss or anything like that she will be like "Right missy you have earned time in the corner" It is so embaressing being put in the corner that is what she does with her 3 year old. It is such a waste of time. If I move she makes be go back again. She is so annoying. I can't be bothered to spend time with her anymore. If I do something she doesn't like she gets annoyed. My dad keeps going on buisness trips and leaving me with her. What do I do about her? I hate it when she puts me in the corner. I had to sit in the corner earlier today because my brother picked up a bad word from mw. Please help. what do I do about her? I am 13 years old and she is bugging me!
    Firstly, if you are 13, why are you on TSR? This is a website for forums written by students, usually of school-leaving age up until graduating university. Secondly, at your age, you don't get to decide whether or not you're going to listen to her. She is your Dad's wife, and I'm guessing you live with her so you have no choice but to listen to her. You need to make an effort with her, or else she will not make an effort with you. You need to accept your Dad has married her to make himself happy, not as a replacement to your Mum. If an adult gives you rules, you must follow them. They are placed for a reason. They are usually there to ensure your health and safety. At 13, I didn't cuss or misbehave like you. You might think you're old enough to look after yourself, but you make it obvious that you're not. You are still a child, you should listen to Sarah. Whether or not you like her or you don't, you have to get on with her for your Dad's sake. I wouldn't dream of speaking to an adult like you make it clear you do. Start talking to her and try to get along with her. She is your Dad's wife; your Stepmum if you like. No matter what, she is responsible for you. Don't misbehave and you won't be shoved in the corner!

(Original post by NatalieRamsden)
    Firstly, if you are 13, why are you on TSR? This is a website for forums written by students, usually of school-leaving age up until graduating university. Secondly, at your age, you don't get to decide whether or not you're going to listen to her. She is your Dad's wife, and I'm guessing you live with her so you have no choice but to listen to her. You need to make an effort with her, or else she will not make an effort with you. You need to accept your Dad has married her to make himself happy, not as a replacement to your Mum. If an adult gives you rules, you must follow them. They are placed for a reason. They are usually there to ensure your health and safety. At 13, I didn't cuss or misbehave like you. You might think you're old enough to look after yourself, but you make it obvious that you're not. You are still a child, you should listen to Sarah. Whether or not you like her or you don't, you have to get on with her for your Dad's sake. I wouldn't dream of speaking to an adult like you make it clear you do. Start talking to her and try to get along with her. She is your Dad's wife; your Stepmum if you like. No matter what, she is responsible for you. Don't misbehave and you won't be shoved in the corner!
    Things have changed since the OP's first post.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.