No friends at uni Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I won't have any friends at uni either. You are not alone

With a dp like that I really doubt you'll be lonely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulietheCat)
    I got out. I went to all the possible societies that interested me. I wasn't even given a warm welcome. I'm glad I got out of there tbh. Never looked back.
    yeh but others arent so lucky and you didnt try hard enough clearly..

im very antisocial and even I made friends...eventually..

if you cant make friends in a place of thousands of people you arent trying hard enough simple as that... you just gotta keep trying and trying being flexible and open..take all opportunities yeh can

thats the best advice..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)

if you cant make friends in a place of thousands of people you arent trying hard enough simple as that... you just gotta keep trying and trying being flexible and open..take all opportunities yeh can

thats the best advice..
    I pretended to be a pure lesbian just so I can make friends. Once they found that I like men too, they shunned me.

I had to lie about who I am because I couldn't make friends through the proper channels. I think that may have gotten around uni and everyone thinks I am an attention whore.

So that's why the thousands of people all despise me and wish me to disappear. I'm sure they had a secret party celebrating my departure from uni. :yay:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I pretended to be a pure lesbian just so I can make friends. Once they found that I like men too, they shunned me.

I had to lie about who I am because I couldn't make friends through the proper channels. I think that may have gotten around uni and everyone thinks I am an attention whore.

So that's why the thousands of people all despise me and wish me to disappear. I'm sure they had a secret party celebrating my departure from uni. :yay:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    look I dont wish to have arguments but at the same time I prefer honesty..

that was a stupid move..if you just be blunt about urself..people will eventually accept it..you didnt have to pretend to be a lesbian...

even then Im sure there was a few hundred who would still potentially befriend yeh

its all about trying new things etc...

this is coming from a social retard

ReputationRep:
    look I dont wish to have arguments but at the same time I prefer honesty..

that was a stupid move..if you just be blunt about urself..people will eventually accept it..you didnt have to pretend to be a lesbian...

even then Im sure there was a few hundred who would still potentially befriend yeh

its all about trying new things etc...

this is coming from a social retard
    Yeah it was

I found the right friends now but only at a different uni. I meant what I said about QMUL. I felt lost, and not just with a social life.

It didn't help when the uni LGBT Soc shunned me though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was

I found the right friends now but only at a different uni. I meant what I said about QMUL. I felt lost, and not just with a social life.

It didn't help when the uni LGBT Soc shunned me though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it was dodgy on their part...but you did lie about your sexuality..and might have thought u were making fools of them...

QMUL cant be that bad...my point is that no matter what uni youre at you can and will make friends...just take persistence and trying everything

I for one never thought Id be where I am today a year ago.

thats the beauty of life

ReputationRep:

thats the best advice..
    Seriously certain people don't want to or try too make friends at university. The only interest I had was friends of a female kind, I didn't bother making any male friends. Depends on your perspective and what you want from university. Places in the city of london, its completely different to a campus type uni.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :mad: but your just adorable though :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    Seriously certain people don't want to or try too make friends at university. The only interest I had was friends of a female kind, I didn't bother making any male friends. Depends on your perspective and what you want from university. Places in the city of london, its completely different to a campus type uni.
    and thats grand if they dont want to or dont try then quit moaning

grand if yeh dont want to

ReputationRep:
    and thats grand if they dont want to or dont try then quit moaning

grand if yeh dont want to
    True say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    True say!
    rep me lad dont just agree p

ReputationRep:
    it was dodgy on their part...but you did lie about your sexuality..and might have thought u were making fools of them...

QMUL cant be that bad...my point is that no matter what uni youre at you can and will make friends...just take persistence and trying everything

I for one never thought Id be where I am today a year ago.

thats the beauty of life
    Those people I dealt with were biphobic. I just wanted to fit in somewhere, you know? And then, a single slip in conversation and they called me a "traitor". They even said "go back to men! You're not one of us!". Then, they spread nasty rumors and I was shunned.

On the same day, I withdrew from QMUL and never looked back. I had a different approach at my new uni - just smiled and had a "don't care if I don't make friends here" attitude. I didn't even try this time but I made friends. If I made loads of effort, people thought I was desparate and used me as a tissue. :dontknow:

Those people I dealt with were biphobic. I just wanted to fit in somewhere, you know? And then, a single slip in conversation and they called me a "traitor". They even said "go back to men! You're not one of us!". Then, they spread nasty rumors and I was shunned.

On the same day, I withdrew from QMUL and never looked back. I had a different approach at my new uni - just smiled and had a "don't care if I don't make friends here" attitude. I didn't even try this time but I made friends. If I made loads of effort, people thought I was desparate and used me as a tissue. :dontknow:
    I think if you knew that they were biphobic and didn't accept bisexuals in their group, don't lie? And surely it wasn't the entire Soc, was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think if you knew that they were biphobic and didn't accept bisexuals in their group, don't lie? And surely it wasn't the entire Soc, was it?
    No, not the entire Soc. Just three lesbians hating on bisexuals. I'm sure that if I avoided those people and only looked at the good people, then maybe I wouldn't have lied. But they promised the best uni experience to me - as long as I was purely lesbian. So, I said yes.

So, while I had the experience (which IMO is just about partying and drinking alcohol until you puke), it didn't last that long.

No, not the entire Soc. Just three lesbians hating on bisexuals. I'm sure that if I avoided those people and only looked at the good people, then maybe I wouldn't have lied. But they promised the best uni experience to me - as long as I was purely lesbian. So, I said yes.

So, while I had the experience (which IMO is just about partying and drinking alcohol until you puke), it didn't last that long.
    Wow...I just have no words.

I'd much rather be alone than hang out with people who hate me for who I am, in your case.

ReputationRep:
    Wow...I just have no words.

I'd much rather be alone than hang out with people who hate me for who I am, in your case.
    Oh, don't let that put you off joining the LGBT Soc (if you are LGBT). It's just my crappy experience at a university really held me back.

I'm sure out of the thousands of people, I would've found the golden "friends for life". Unfortunately the people I ended up with were nasty, rude and intolerant to my sexuality. So I begged them to hang out with them, because I really had no place to go.

Oh, don't let that put you off joining the LGBT Soc (if you are LGBT). It's just my crappy experience at a university really held me back.

I'm sure out of the thousands of people, I would've found the golden "friends for life". Unfortunately the people I ended up with were nasty, rude and intolerant to my sexuality. So I begged them to hang out with them, because I really had no place to go.
    Names of the lesbians? I just want to know who to avoid when potentially joining the Soc next year

ReputationRep:
    Names of the lesbians? I just want to know who to avoid when potentially joining the Soc next year
    I'll probably get carded for it, so no.

Trust me, you'll know them when you'll see them. Tread carefully in uni and don't be like me, being all desparate and all that.

ReputationRep:

people dont like when others lie...and yes Im sure some of them were..altho personally i fully supports Bis and I cant be the only one.

fact is:must people will find it hard to transfer

besides whether you did or not it would only be your attitude that wouldve changed things

a fresh start made it easier at the other uni...but it was still very possible to make mates at the other uni...thats the main thing..

less about you..and more about helping the average joe who will find it hard to switch colleges...

its not about being desperate...is about getting urself out there..trying new things...being friendly...being open

finding decent friends that wont use yeh should be the provocative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I won't have any friends at uni either. You are not alone
    Yuck! :yucky:
    Don't be so negative!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.