The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jalouise
I agree. You have captured how I feel about it! However I'll only just go though the interview stage purely because I want experience.

Haha I'm glad im not the only one who feels this way :P They were pretty serious about the interview stage so i guess having an idea of what these interview could be like would be beneficial. However, my interview is set for the 5th at 2.10pm which is before school finishes for me, and since it would take me probably over an hour to get there id rather just stay at school and not miss any lessons. Also, the entire process seems really stressful and i can barely cope as it is xD
Reply 221
Original post by icantdothishelp
Haha I'm glad im not the only one who feels this way :P They were pretty serious about the interview stage so i guess having an idea of what these interview could be like would be beneficial. However, my interview is set for the 5th at 2.10pm which is before school finishes for me, and since it would take me probably over an hour to get there id rather just stay at school and not miss any lessons. Also, the entire process seems really stressful and i can barely cope as it is xD

That's understandable! Honestly you don't really need a 'good' sixthform to do well--most of the work comes from yourself. It does seem like a lot of effort. I really hope my interview isnt early...I'd much rather sleep in on a Saturday. Where else have you considered?
That's understandable! Honestly you don't really need a 'good' sixthform to do well--most of the work comes from yourself. It does seem like a lot of effort. I really hope my interview isnt early...I'd much rather sleep in on a Saturday. Where else have you considered?

That is true, i think along with having good teachers and individual work, its really important to just to go a place where youre not surrounded by people who dont care about their own education.
Well I've applied to coopers company and coborn school, drapers academy, robert clack and my local sixth form (which is basically just **** and i only applied to because my head of year made me xD) . Everyone I've talked to has talked pretty highly of all 3 school so im pretty happy with where I've applied too. Coopers has a good history and is very popular, however on their open evening they werent well organised and ended up practically telling people to go home due to the lack of space, which is made the school less appealing for me. Drapers seems really amazing, all the teachers are really nice and so on, but i dont know their pass rate which is the only thing putting me off. Robert Clack has a good rep but im not too fond of the area in which it is located, so im not sure if i wanna be surrounded by the chavy people that are probably going to go there. Soooo yeah, im kinda on the edge for all three schools (hopefully ill at least get into them, my grades seem pretty good so fingers crossed) xD This year for me has been a big ''i dont know'' and i feel so lost and practically on a mental breakdown everyday. sigh.
Reply 223
That is true, i think along with having good teachers and individual work, its really important to just to go a place where youre not surrounded by people who dont care about their own education.
Well I've applied to coopers company and coborn school, drapers academy, robert clack and my local sixth form (which is basically just **** and i only applied to because my head of year made me xD) . Everyone I've talked to has talked pretty highly of all 3 school so im pretty happy with where I've applied too. Coopers has a good history and is very popular, however on their open evening they werent well organised and ended up practically telling people to go home due to the lack of space, which is made the school less appealing for me. Drapers seems really amazing, all the teachers are really nice and so on, but i dont know their pass rate which is the only thing putting me off. Robert Clack has a good rep but im not too fond of the area in which it is located, so im not sure if i wanna be surrounded by the chavy people that are probably going to go there. Soooo yeah, im kinda on the edge for all three schools (hopefully ill at least get into them, my grades seem pretty good so fingers crossed) xD This year for me has been a big ''i dont know'' and i feel so lost and practically on a mental breakdown everyday. sigh.

I've heard very good things about those schools! Yeah first impressions mean everything and kicking people out doesn't sound so pleasant. Pass rates mean everything to me and because Harris Westminster is a new school there isn't anything to go off on besides 'aim to achieve the same success as Westminister' It's an aim but it hasn't happened yet. There are so many factors involved with choosing a sixth form, stressful really. Believe me I feel the same way I am almost tempted to stay at my own schools sixthform--it's like a safe option for me and less stress involved, I know most of the teachers, I'll still have familiar people around me etc. I'm pretty sure where ever you choose to go will be the right choice for you! :3
Reply 224
Is anyone applying to Henrietta Barnett?
I've heard very good things about those schools! Yeah first impressions mean everything and kicking people out doesn't sound so pleasant. Pass rates mean everything to me and because Harris Westminster is a new school there isn't anything to go off on besides 'aim to achieve the same success as Westminister' It's an aim but it hasn't happened yet. There are so many factors involved with choosing a sixth form, stressful really. Believe me I feel the same way I am almost tempted to stay at my own schools sixthform--it's like a safe option for me and less stress involved, I know most of the teachers, I'll still have familiar people around me etc. I'm pretty sure where ever you choose to go will be the right choice for you! :3

Pass rates are really important for me too, i love what ive heard about Drapers and thats the only thing stopping me. My current school doesnt have a sixth form so sadly thats not an option for me. Im just hoping to end this year with good grades - i already had a a breakdown when i found out i got a B for English Language and i dont think i could handle another one.
Reply 226
Pass rates are really important for me too, i love what ive heard about Drapers and thats the only thing stopping me. My current school doesnt have a sixth form so sadly thats not an option for me. Im just hoping to end this year with good grades - i already had a a breakdown when i found out i got a B for English Language and i dont think i could handle another one.

A B is the minimum requirement to get into most courses but you still have time to work on it! English Language has always proven to be a struggle for me due to the amount of questions and the very short period of time you have in order to answer although timing and practice have proven to be a huge help. Drapers seems like a great option! I have had a mental breakdown also since I'm applying to Henrietta Barnett (Competition is extremely high--its ridiculous) and most of the girls who apply are all predicted 11A*
A B is the minimum requirement to get into most courses but you still have time to work on it! English Language has always proven to be a struggle for me due to the amount of questions and the very short period of time you have in order to answer although timing and practice have proven to be a huge help. Drapers seems like a great option! I have had a mental breakdown also since I'm applying to Henrietta Barnett (Competition is extremely high--its ridiculous) and most of the girls who apply are all predicted 11A*

I dont like English as a subject overall, im finding literature to be a pain as well and since ive decided to retake language thats just more work for me D: I was going to apply to Henrietta myself (filled in the application and everything) until i realised that it was quite far away for me as well so i decided against it.
Reply 228
I dont like English as a subject overall, im finding literature to be a pain as well and since ive decided to retake language thats just more work for me D: I was going to apply to Henrietta myself (filled in the application and everything) until i realised that it was quite far away for me as well so i decided against it.

I'm quite the opposite., I absolutely adore English! Still considering whether or not to apply even though I've filled out the form. Finding out my predicted grades made me pretty proud of myself but matching them to Henrietta's standard brought me down. It's still worth a try! If you put your mind to it you'll be fine with English--just try not to stress yourself out too much :smile:
I'm quite the opposite., I absolutely adore English! Still considering whether or not to apply even though I've filled out the form. Finding out my predicted grades made me pretty proud of myself but matching them to Henrietta's standard brought me down. It's still worth a try! If you put your mind to it you'll be fine with English--just try not to stress yourself out too much :smile:

I think stress is my main problem, i think if i wasnt practically killing myself with stress i would have been fine during the exam. I wouldve appreciated this realisation an hour before the exam so i couldve calmed myself down xD
Im proud of my predicted grades as well, A*/A for everything (except for French, i think thats a B) but im just worried that im not going to achieve those grades :/
Got the letter around 8:00 today; it said that my interview was on the 5th February around I think 10:30AM. You guys are quite the persuasive bunch - you made me reconsider attending the interview. I've decided that I'm going to attend on the basis that it's a second option incase plan A doesn't work out.

If they had offered computer science I would've been enthusiastic to attend.
Reply 231
Wow they've done a good job at dissuading people from attending Harris Westminster xD
I've already considered the fact that it may be a risk seeing as its a new sixth form, but considering the opportunities on offer in terms of university applications etc I decided it is a risk worth taking :P. Besides for the sixth form to be a success regarding its aims, something which I support greatly (better access for state school students to the best institutions) talented students like us have got to attend.
Anyway I wouldn't consider the risk to be that high anyway seeing as its being endorsed by Westminster School, and I doubt they would assign their name, resources etc to a school which they don't expect to succeed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mathbomb
Wow they've done a good job at dissuading people from attending Harris Westminster xD
I've already considered the fact that it may be a risk seeing as its a new sixth form, but considering the opportunities on offer in terms of university applications etc I decided it is a risk worth taking :P. Besides for the sixth form to be a success regarding its aims, something which I support greatly (better access for state school students to the best institutions) talented students like us have got to attend.
Anyway I wouldn't consider the risk to be that high anyway seeing as its being endorsed by Westminster School, and I doubt they would assign their name, resources etc to a school which they don't expect to succeed.

Exactly :smile:
Reply 233
im sad
Reply 234
Could someone who has an interview tomorrow ask roughly how many people got an interview because it seems like loads of people did
Has anyone not received a letter yet? My friend from school hasn't received one and he's getting worried that the late letters are the rejection ones. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Has anyone received a letter around Saturday stating that they didn't get invited?
Original post by Aargee
Could someone who has an interview tomorrow ask roughly how many people got an interview because it seems like loads of people did

Has your half-term started already?
Reply 237
Original post by Winading001
Has your half-term started already?

nope
So how did the Math interviews go for you guys today?
Decided not to attend interview - Going to King's College School instead; good luck to those who are trying to join!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending