Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Jennywbu)
    Me again

I am kinda confused about how the terms are set out... How many weeks are in a term? In between terms do we have holidays where we can go home? Because I am trying to work out my budget and I can't properly without knowing how many weeks there are per term? thanksssssssss
    Hi Jennywbu

It is a bit confusing at first! Uni's talk about terms and semesters, which are a little diffferent (but overlap with each other) See the dates here for this and next year http://www.brighton.ac.uk/about-us/n...tes/index.aspx

There are 2 semesters per year (roughly end Sept - early Feb) and early Feb - early June).
    There are 3 terms per year, which are more similar to school terms although the holidays tend to be slightly longer. (About 3 weeks for Christmas and Easter breaks). The main difference is that uni does not have half terms in the middle. Some courses do have reading or revision weeks (you would need to ask your course about this), usually in the run up to exams and they sometimes fall at a similar time to half term. So you may find there are weeks (perhaps one or 2 a year) when you might not have to be in but you may wish to be to access facilities etc (like the library). But how you plan your time would be up to you and how / where you like to work.

You're not timetabled for classes at the weekend of course so how and where you split your workload and study time throughout each term is also up to you. I usually used to get timetables for a semester so I could see ahead when there were gaps and make plans.

This is where doing budgets can get a bit more complex ...
    If you are looking at living in halls, lengths of contract is based on number of weeks. You can check how many this is for each location / room type in our Living here info http://www.brighton.ac.uk/living-here/index.aspx

Generally halls contracts are 39 or 50 weeks and fall in line with terms, starting in late September.
    Private rented accommodation is usually on 6 monthly or more often 12 monthly contracts. So a contract may last from September to the following September.

Does that answer your question?

Best Wishes
    Viv
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Kate Kelly)
    Is the first year very largely marked, compared to the 2nd and 3rd year ? I would like to be able to really experiment and no worry so much about creating some back work,which I haven't really been able to do on my foundation. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Kate Kelly

In short - it depends on your course and I would recommend getting in touch and asking how the marks are split. You mentioned a foundation - I am guessing that you are doing an arts course?
    Generally speaking, on a 3 year degree course your first year work is marked in the same way as later years but those marks don't count towards your final degree classification. This gives you plenty of time to try things out and learn
    Usually, a proportion of the second year and all or most of your third year marks will count towards your final degree classification.
    I did a 4 year combined arts course and that was slightly different, my degree classification was based wholly on my final year. It did mean the pressure was on at the end but I'd had lots of experience by this point.

Does that answer your question?

Best Wishes
    Viv

ReputationRep:
    Yes thanks, I am doing the fine art painting course, sorry I was not more clear. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Kate Kelly)
    Yes thanks, I am doing the fine art painting course, sorry I was not more clear. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries! Congrats, that is an amazing course. I did an optional module with one of the fine art professors during my course and enjoyed it so much

Best Wishes
    Viv

ReputationRep:
    Hi 😁 I have just accepted Brighton university as my firm to study physical education in Eastbourne!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Eastbourne fresher??

JOIN THIS!!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2669166

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    REMINDER! UCAS deadline tomorrow - if you have offers but haven't responded yet -

'If you receive all your uni/college decisions by 31 March you must reply to any offers by this date (except for Extra) or they'll be declined' http://www.ucas.com/apply/key-dates

I'm online all day if there are any questions out there

Best Wishes
    Viv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Brighton)
    So, who has applied to Brighton for 2014?

I applied about a week ago! (a bit late) My application is a bit complicated as I was Brighton born, but finished school in South America...I'm really nervous about my qualifications, i've taken Physics, Chemistry, Philosophy etc etc but as I have a Uruguayan Bachillerato... I'm not sure if I meet Brightons requirements...which kind of sucks because I graduated top of my class.....is there anyone else who is from/studied in Uruguay??? Or even south america that got accepted? I'm sooo nervous.... I only applied to Brighton....I wouldn't want to go anywhere else!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiriHam)
    I have! For Fashion with Business studies
    Hi MiriHam!

Viv mentioned that you wanted to know a bit more about what it's like to live in Brighton, so I thought maybe I could help you out and answer a few questions! Firstly, Brighton is quite an expensive place to live. Compared to London however, it is probably a bit cheaper. If you live in a student house close-ish to the centre of town, the rent is usually around £95 - £105 a week plus bills. Many students I know live in the Hanover area, which is about a 15 minute walk into town. The benefit of this is that you don't find yourself spending that much money on public transport (depending on what campus your course is!) but it's nice to be able to just wander in to town. I would really recommend getting a bike. There are a lot of cycle lanes in Brighton, and it's also really lovely to cycle along the seafront! If you get a bus ticket on a bus which goes to the university campus' (the 25) then a day ticket is £3.70, singles are obviously cheaper. If you have any other questions feel fee to ask! It's a great city to live in.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I run an instagram with my friend Kate where we post pictures of what we get up to as students at Brighton - feel free to follow @brightonliving! http://instagram.com/brightonliving/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren_mac)
    Hi MiriHam!

Viv mentioned that you wanted to know a bit more about what it's like to live in Brighton, so I thought maybe I could help you out and answer a few questions! Firstly, Brighton is quite an expensive place to live. Compared to London however, it is probably a bit cheaper. If you live in a student house close-ish to the centre of town, the rent is usually around £95 - £105 a week plus bills. Many students I know live in the Hanover area, which is about a 15 minute walk into town. The benefit of this is that you don't find yourself spending that much money on public transport (depending on what campus your course is!) but it's nice to be able to just wander in to town. I would really recommend getting a bike. There are a lot of cycle lanes in Brighton, and it's also really lovely to cycle along the seafront! If you get a bus ticket on a bus which goes to the university campus' (the 25) then a day ticket is £3.70, singles are obviously cheaper. If you have any other questions feel fee to ask! It's a great city to live in.
    Ah i see, I thought so. Would you say it's better than getting student accommodation? My course is in Grand Parade, so I guess that's fine. Oh my, i haven't been on a bike in awhile haha But i can imagine the sunset when you're riding by.... Also, how hard is it to get a part time job in Brighton, do you know of any bursaries that are available to undergraduates and what advice would you give about being wise with money, especially living in Brighton? Thank you for your effort and your time.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by SarahW1994)
    I applied about a week ago! (a bit late) My application is a bit complicated as I was Brighton born, but finished school in South America...I'm really nervous about my qualifications, i've taken Physics, Chemistry, Philosophy etc etc but as I have a Uruguayan Bachillerato... I'm not sure if I meet Brightons requirements...which kind of sucks because I graduated top of my class.....is there anyone else who is from/studied in Uruguay??? Or even south america that got accepted? I'm sooo nervous.... I only applied to Brighton....I wouldn't want to go anywhere else!!!!
    Good luck SarahW1994
    What course have you applied for?
    If you could do with any info about your qualifications and have been in touch already, the admissions team will be glad to advise you http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-h...ion/index.aspx

Best Wishes
    Viv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Brighton)
    If you are applying to the University of Brighton for 2014 entry, join this thread.

Chat with each other and ask our official reps any questions. We're all graduates or current students at Brighton and if we don't know the answer to your question we can find some one who does.

Hi, I put Brighton as my insurance choice but I have now become unsure as to whether I'll get into my firm and kind of regret putting it. I know you can't offer applicants who put insurance halls but I just wanted to know what is it like with the Unihomes? Is it freshers that stay in those too? I wouldn't be too fond staying in a house with postgraduates, I think I'd feel out of place.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I got an offer for Architecture, and am going to make it my firm choice. I do have a huge question about dorms, so i'm happy you're here! Is it common for students to not live in Moulscoomb halls and instead live in dorms like woodland and downland, even though they're studying on the Moulscoomb campus? Thanks so much!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by pollard12)
    Hi, I put Brighton as my insurance choice but I have now become unsure as to whether I'll get into my firm and kind of regret putting it. I know you can't offer applicants who put insurance halls but I just wanted to know what is it like with the Unihomes? Is it freshers that stay in those too? I wouldn't be too fond staying in a house with postgraduates, I think I'd feel out of place.
    Hi pollard12

Unihomes are mostly for freshers just like halls
    And the allocation of places are similar too - you can check out the accommodation info online here http://www.brighton.ac.uk/living-her...ion/index.aspx and contact the accommodation team if you have any more specific questions about this - you will find a link to their contact details on the page.

And don't worry, most people get the wobbles about grades and firm / insurance choices at this time of the year! Good luck and Best Wishes, Viv.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by hgenevieve)
    Hi! I got an offer for Architecture, and am going to make it my firm choice. I do have a huge question about dorms, so i'm happy you're here! Is it common for students to not live in Moulscoomb halls and instead live in dorms like woodland and downland, even though they're studying on the Moulscoomb campus? Thanks so much!

Hi hgenevieve

Congrats on your offer
    Short answer, yes it is common! There are more first year students on the Moulsecoomb campus than there are halls room at Moulsecoomb place.

Remember that you can (and lots of people do) make their first choice of halls on other factors as well as the location - cost, facilities, catered or self catered for example. Varley Park halls are the newest halls of residence and are really nice. They are 4 miles along the road from the Moulsecoomb campus. There is a free term time, day time bus called the big lemon which runs between the halls and the campuses http://www.thebiglemon.com/brightonuni/

If you haven't already you can check out maps and 360 degree tours online here http://www.brighton.ac.uk/living-her...ion/index.aspx
    Overall, don't worry, the accommodation team are really helpful and knowledgable, so if you have more specific accommodation questions, don't hesitate to get in touch with them

Best Wishes
    Viv

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for getting back to me - that's made me much more confident for next year.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by hgenevieve)
    Thanks so much for getting back to me - that's made me much more confident for next year.
    You're welcome and I'm glad to be of help. Just let me know if there is anything else

Best Wishes
    Viv

ReputationRep:
    Hey ! I'm Elisa. I am holding a firm conditional offer for Bsc (hons) Sport Coaching in Eastbourne.
    First, I'll be taking summer english courses in Falmer to meet the condition of my offer, because english is not my native language.
    I have applied for halls in Eastbourne.
    If anyone planning to study in Eastbourne, or to take summer english courses, just reply to this post
    Xx

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else thinking of renting private accomodation flat or house? Not sure the best way to go about this!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 22, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.