Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosiee_m)
    Sewell-cultural comfort zone. This is where peers form around the issue of commonality such as the same ethnicity or around a same interest in sports for example
    Ahh thankyou!! thats great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakib1010)
    48/52. I did a G671 mock that included this 52 mark question (mixed methods) and in the paper I got an A.
    Do you have an idea of what the questions could be ? and what about if ive learnt about quantitative how will I change it if it comes up as mixed methods ? Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    OK so im having a huge stress. Where does mixed methods actually ocur in the study? is it just the fact he uses questionnaiers and observations? also how would I talk about this in my 52 marker, like what the advantages and disadvantages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlongCameEmily)
    OK so im having a huge stress. Where does mixed methods actually ocur in the study? is it just the fact he uses questionnaiers and observations? also how would I talk about this in my 52 marker, like what the advantages and disadvantages?
    The major disadvantage I've got is it is a longditutional study which means its taken place over a period of time (three months)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlongCameEmily)
    Yep, mixed methods is just Holden using a variety of research methods e.g. secondary research, observations and questionnaires. You can mention that an approach to mixed methods is triangulation where all of the research methods are combined to cross check for validity and reliability.

I would just mention that mixed methods allow data to be corroborated so the strengths of one method can be combined with the strengths of another, allowing weaknesses to be overcome although his use of only qualitative methods limited his research and reduced validity. It can also be costly and timely and the huge amount of data means it requires a lot of analysis. I would then talk about the adv/disadv of each method he used, personally.

ReputationRep:
    What can you say in the ways of advantages and disadvantages of the secondary data collection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca_settle)
    What can you say in the ways of advantages and disadvantages of the secondary data collection?
    adv
    + readily available, little cost
    + large sample size = generalizable
    + can be used w/ primary data for cross checking
    + to obtain data which they may not have been able to or is too costly

disadv
    - data may have errors/misjudgements
    - could be bias or subjective
    - quantitative data = validity reduced

ReputationRep:
    Well I've mainly focused on age and ethnicity so hope it comes up. Good luck with the exam everyone x

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel prepared, I feel like I'm going to forget sociologists throughout the exam :s Well good luck everyone x

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any predictions for g672??? I'm desperate!!

ReputationRep:
    How did the exam go? I thought it went ok as I only revised ethnicity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 212575)
    Anyone have any predictions for g672??? I'm desperate!!
    I don't think there is any way to predict G672 other than whatever was the 33 marker last year wont be this year but it could still be a 17 marker

ReputationRep:
    The exam was alright I guess, but I wish I had revised mixed methods more >.<
    Anyways, I'm going over family - can someone explain the structure for me please?

ReputationRep:
    I think it went well all though I wrote triangulisation rather than triangulation :/

ReputationRep:
    How did people find the ethnic hybridity question???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hughes18)
    I thought it was okay but I don't know if I included enough sociological concepts

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good cos our teacher gave us that question in a mock exam a while back. I used things like code-switching, dual identities, cultural navigation, British Asian identities etc. to answer that so hopefully it was enough lol. How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toriar)
    Pretty good cos our teacher gave us that question in a mock exam a while back. I used things like code-switching, dual identities, cultural navigation, British Asian identities etc. to answer that so hopefully it was enough lol. How did you find it?
    damnnnnnnnn!

I wrote about globalisation, worlds becoming a smaller place. modoods study on young SAs-generational shift. Media characters such as Ali G have come up with a new dialect

please say they're worth some marks! ((((

ReputationRep:
    does anyone think I'll be marked down for writing triangulisation rather than triangulation?

ReputationRep:
    It was probably the best question that could have come up! we have such a great teacher, she prepared us for everything! And she made us all write that exact essay question on Tuesday

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 9, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.