?
Report 11 years ago
Offer from Oxford for law...because I live in Cambridge
Beenybabe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I stayed overnight at LMH in Oxford on a school trip at the start of year 12, reaally liked Oxford so looked at the Cambridge course already biased towards Oxford and decided it wasn't for me - Cambs is also more of a Faff to travel to from home. For me the choice was obvious and quite simple and i don't regret not giving Cambs a bit more of my attention before discounting it as an option.
*Katie*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have friends at Cambridge as well, and I must say that having stayed in Cambridge with friends (time totalling 14 days), now having been at Oxford 2 terms (scariness), Cambridge seems to be more 'academic' - in that there's a lot less pretentiousness, and people seem to be more interested a person's academic record/college/subject than Oxford, where the typical questions are about old school/hometown/college (subject seems less important because so many people from huge posh public schools apply for any old subject to get in - it happens a lot more thanI was expecting it to).
I think Oxford is a lot more old fashioned (I may even go as far as to say socially elitist) than Cambridge, and the Tabs seem more into general cameraderie and more like regular students.
Huw Davies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is it simply that the 14 days were under different circumstances? If Cambridge is socially pretentious you might not have noticed it so much while there with friends, whereas Freshers' week chat is inevitably school\hometown\etc. just because striking up conversation with strangers on anything more involved is difficult.

Even though they're over-represented compared to the population, the very posh are hardly the majority at Oxford, so outside a few subjects (e.g. Classics, Oriental Studies), they don't massively dominate. Are you just unlucky (not that there's anything inherently wrong with poshers mind, my best friend in college went to "the worst public school in Scotland") in your social circle?

I personally haven't found Oxford to be socially elitist in the slightest. This may be a consequence of doing a subject (medicine) which is a bit different for admissions and perhaps doesn't favour the social elite so much (but the industrious middle class loads, especially the children of doctors), and being at a recently-founded college with a relatively low posh quotient.
Epicurus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^ Oriental Studies - posh? No one told me about this?
Huw Davies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This is based on a very limited sample so I may well be wrong, but all the people I know studying Chinese went to public schools. Could just be a chance thing though.

The numbers (http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/adstats.pdf) are against me on this, it must be said. High levels of private schooling (mostly not public school of course) are found in E&M, History of Art, Ancient and Modern History and Classics. Though OS has the highest success rate for private school applicants. Surprisingly, Music is quite statey for Oxford, considering that playing an instrument to a high standard is expensive and the performance schools are the most private-school universities in the country.
cdcg88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think, to be honest, if I didn't live in Cambs I'd have applied there, mainly becausr the city is so nice...and has H&M unlike Oxford, shallow I know, but the uni's are just as good as eachother
Llamaaa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Epicurus)
^^ Oriental Studies - posh? No one told me about this?
i think it's mainly because rich asians send their children to private school in the UK and then they go on to do oriental studies, hence why the stats are so high. In cambridge in oriental studies, especiall the chinese and japanese variations, there is a ratio of 8:1 asian international students to british origin people. All the asians I know went to really good private schools beforehand since those are the main ones that offer boarding and their parents can afford it.

just a guess :p:
Huw Davies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Actually the posh OS people I know are the classic posh\white\wealthy variety.
GreyMrJones
Report 11 years ago
James Bond went to Oxford. Is there a better reason?

Offer - History at Mansfield, Oxford
Fazorme
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
And M, she studied law there ^_^
Epicurus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
James Bond actually claimed to be an Oriental Studies graduate from CAMBRIDGE. The lack of james bond knowledge people show on this forum really is quite shocking...:p:
Huw Davies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
From wikipedia:
With the exception of Fettes, Bond's attendance at these schools parallels Fleming's own life. The film version of You Only Live Twice asserts he is a graduate with a degree in Oriental languages from Cambridge University. He also attends (presumably at some point) Oxford to study Danish in Tomorrow Never Dies, although in the film he's not there to study at all.
sTe\/o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Epicurus)
James Bond actually claimed to be an Oriental Studies graduate from CAMBRIDGE. The lack of james bond knowledge people show on this forum really is quite shocking...:p:
I know, it's really quite unforgiveable. It's pretty easy to work out that Mr Bond went to Cambridge even from first principles: he's intelligent, suave, good with the ladies... hence a Cambridge graduate.
tenjon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by GreyMrJones)
James Bond went to Oxford. Is there a better reason?
STOP GETTING BOND WRONG!!!!!!!

/Alan Partridge
Llamaaa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
that poor person applied to oxford on the basis that james bond went there. Now he finds he applied to the wrong university. That's sad
sTe\/o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's going to be even worse when they find out he doesn't really exist.
Fazorme
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sTe\/o)
It's going to be even worse when they find out he doesn't really exist.
Ah, you've fallen into the government trap there! That's what they want you to think... what better way of discrediting his existence than making him a novel and movie star? It's genius, I tell you
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oxford - bigger city.
eleanora_ebonite
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cambridge, because their website was nicer than the Oxford one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads