Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiomedDentist)
    Aberdeen is in the UK, and it's an NHS programme so isn't it the funding the same? (Fund first 3500 and eligible for student loan for the rest of tuition fees?)

I hope this is the case
    Scotland tend to have no fees for university though so it might be free.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olderandwiser23)
    Scotland tend to have no fees for university though so it might be free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unfortunately this is only for Scottish applicants! Would be nice though!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately this is only for Scottish applicants! Would be nice though!
    Ah okay then funding should be the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, here's a possible major blow if you applied to Aberdeen. They've consistently given half their offers to Scottish residents/students.

So what this means is there's a 50% chance of you getting in of you're Scottish and 20% chance for rest of the UK. So no matter how much effort and dedication you put in your application, you're in the B list by default.

I wish they were more transparent with they application process, could save us a lot of heartache :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProspecDent)
    Hey guys, here's a possible major blow if you applied to Aberdeen. They've consistently given half their offers to Scottish residents/students.

So what this means is there's a 50% chance of you getting in of you're Scottish and 20% chance for rest of the UK. So no matter how much effort and dedication you put in your application, you're in the B list by default.

I wish they were more transparent with they application process, could save us a lot of heartache :/
    That's a little sneaky! Doesn't apply to me as I've only applied to kcl and qmul. But I feel for you guys x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen is in the UK, and it's an NHS programme so isn't it the funding the same? (Fund first 3500 and eligible for student loan for the rest of tuition fees?)

I hope this is the case

have you applied for aberdeen this year too?

I've done a little research and came across this document. Its really confused me! and would really like to know my options if I do not take the bursary.

I have emailed SAAS but have had no reply yet....
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf nhs_dental_bursary_scheme.pdf (77.1 KB, 159 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PVar)
    have you applied for aberdeen this year too?

I've done a little research and came across this document. Its really confused me! and would really like to know my options if I do not take the bursary.

I have emailed SAAS but have had no reply yet....
    Hey, for English students you'll apply with student finance England as normal English unis. You'll pay 4k yourself and SFE give you loan for the rest, there an NHS England bursary of about 1k and you get a reduced maintenance loan as well.

I think there's a scheme were you can apply for 4k bursary every year with NHS Scotland were 4k = 2 years practice in Scotland. Hope that helps.

Scottish students don't pay anything. Is it me or are there just miles of downsides to being an English student? When are the next elections again?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, for English students you'll apply with student finance England as normal English unis. You'll pay 4k yourself and SFE give you loan for the rest, there an NHS England bursary of about 1k and you get a reduced maintenance loan as well.

I think there's a scheme were you can apply for 4k bursary every year with NHS Scotland were 4k = 2 years practice in Scotland. Hope that helps.

Scottish students don't pay anything. Is it me or are there just miles of downsides to being an English student? When are the next elections again?
    Free uni would be great but the gov't has v.little cheddar. Need to stop funding the ridiculous degrees so the worth while ones don't have to pay 9k/year. That or base fees in tuition hours and resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thankyou so much! makes its so much clearer!

ReputationRep:
    Free uni would be great but the gov't has v.little cheddar. Need to stop funding the ridiculous degrees so the worth while ones don't have to pay 9k/year. That or base fees in tuition hours and resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha my bestfriend is a 3rd year medical student at Bart's and we had this exact conversation not more that 3 hours ago.....deja vu moment.

Im working at kings as a healthcare assistant at the moment and you won't believe how many junior doctors had to study in Europe cause places are limited in the UK cause of funding and the NHS needs doctors badly.

Instead unis are giving off unlimited places to 'innovative' arts degrees which have no job prospects after, govt gives out the loans, meaning no money to train more doctors/dentists.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

I hope this is the case
    For graduate entry into dentistry do you have to take the ukcat test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha my bestfriend is a 3rd year medical student at Bart's and we had this exact conversation not more that 3 hours ago.....deja vu moment.

Im working at kings as a healthcare assistant at the moment and you won't believe how many junior doctors had to study in Europe cause places are limited in the UK cause of funding and the NHS needs doctors badly.

Instead unis are giving off unlimited places to 'innovative' arts degrees which have no job prospects after, govt gives out the loans, meaning no money to train more doctors/dentists.
    I also work at kings snap :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzakhairkhwah)
    For graduate entry into dentistry do you have to take the ukcat test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not all universities require it

ReputationRep:
    I also work at kings snap :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha no way! I used to work in Cheyenne Wing but now I'll be part time at the PRUH. Goodluck with your app, applied to kings but have no faith there, ukcat was 635 :/

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, those going to the UCLAN exam Wednesday. Do we need to bring our exam certificates? It seems to suggest so on the website but not in their email so I'm a bit confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleLamp)
    Hi everyone, those going to the UCLAN exam Wednesday. Do we need to bring our exam certificates? It seems to suggest so on the website but not in their email so I'm a bit confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm bringing them just incase

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VT180)
    I'm bringing them just incase

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi no you don't need them. There will be about 140 people taking the exam so they don't have time to check them. You get asked to bring them on the day of the interview if you get one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.