Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I thought that when applying for Economics at LSE you had to tell them module UMS scores, but on the email where they confirm receiving your UCAS application, they say they only judge decisions based off what's given on the UCAS form, which sounds as if they won't ask for additional information like UMS scores?

Can anybody help clarify me on this?

ReputationRep:
    My current choices are Oxford, Warwick, UCL, Bristol and Nottingham and i need to send the form off by today or tomorrow.
    The thing i'm not sure about is if I should apply to LSE? I have all the academic requirements (3A* predictions, AAAA, 8A* GCSE), I have done (only) AS further maths and I think I have quite a good personal statement.

My first 3 choices I am set on, but I am contemplating swapping LSE in for either Bristol or Nottingham. I am not too keen on Nottingham, and although I love the city Bristol, their economics department is not the best.
    My initial main reason for not picking LSE was that all of these unis are really competitive and in a worst case scenario I could end up with no offers! What is the likelihood of this?

Do you think I should stick with my current choices or put LSE down for Bristol or Nottingham? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariusk03)
    If I were you I'd have one uni that will give you an offer for sure. So if you decide to apply to LSE, UCL, Warwick and Oxford I'd put a fifth choice that isn't too competitive, If you want to study in the UK and be guaranteed an offer then don't risk it.. Otherwise you can always go into clearing! The only question is do you want to take the tisk of ending up in clearing? Your grades look fine but from what I know the 4 I mentioned above all are very competitive..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice! That is a very valid point and I have seriously considered doing that but the problem is that I would simply not be satisfied at any other lower unis because I would know that I could have done better.
    If I were to get no offers, I think I would likely take a gap year (or clearing maybe if there are some really good courses - unlikely though!)

I presume Bristol or Nottingham wouldn't constitute as a "backup" of sorts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyd97)
    My current choices are Oxford, Warwick, UCL, Bristol and Nottingham and i need to send the form off by today or tomorrow.
    The thing i'm not sure about is if I should apply to LSE? I have all the academic requirements (3A* predictions, AAAA, 8A* GCSE), I have done (only) AS further maths and I think I have quite a good personal statement.

My first 3 choices I am set on, but I am contemplating swapping LSE in for either Bristol or Nottingham. I am not too keen on Nottingham, and although I love the city Bristol, their economics department is not the best.
    My initial main reason for not picking LSE was that all of these unis are really competitive and in a worst case scenario I could end up with no offers! What is the likelihood of this?

Do you think I should stick with my current choices or put LSE down for Bristol or Nottingham? Thanks in advance
    I was in the same dilemma however I decided I simply wouldn't be happy going to any other uni than the ones I am applying to. I didn't want to waste an option by applying to a uni I don't want to go to just to be 'safe'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else feel like their personal statement is not lse standard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I was in the EXACT same position as you, and I ended up applying to Oxford, UCL, Warwick, LSE, and Bristol. Bristol is sort of like my insurance, but I'm fairly sure if I don't get into the other 4, I'll take a year out and reapply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr-96)
    I was in the same dilemma however I decided I simply wouldn't be happy going to any other uni than the ones I am applying to. I didn't want to waste an option by applying to a uni I don't want to go to just to be 'safe'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What unis did you apply for in the end? I just don't want to risk it too much as Nottignham and Bristol are both still good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwatters)
    I thought that when applying for Economics at LSE you had to tell them module UMS scores, but on the email where they confirm receiving your UCAS application, they say they only judge decisions based off what's given on the UCAS form, which sounds as if they won't ask for additional information like UMS scores?

Can anybody help clarify me on this?
    I gather the same thing, in fact they say in that email not to send them things unless asked, therefore I think maybe they used to but don't anymore.

ReputationRep:
    What unis did you apply for in the end? I just don't want to risk it too much as Nottignham and Bristol are both still good!
    Cambridge, lse, ucl, Warwick and bristol I agree they are really good for economics if I get rejected ill just have to take a gap year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've applied for PPE at Oxford, LSE and UCL as an international student. When do LSE and UCL start handing out offers, I got emails about them considering my application and contacting me within two weeks. Could it be that they already hand offers out then, some kind of 'first round of offers'?

ReputationRep:
    Oh one more question: what is the standard offer for PPE at LSE/UCL? Oxford offers are AAA, are they higher at LSE/UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adriaan)
    Hi everyone,

I've applied for PPE at Oxford, LSE and UCL as an international student. When do LSE and UCL start handing out offers, I got emails about them considering my application and contacting me within two weeks. Could it be that they already hand offers out then, some kind of 'first round of offers'?
    LSE does not make offers so quickly as they believe that only after a reasonable number of applications have been received forming a 'gathered field' of applicants, for them to compare or rank.

You will get an acknowledgment email quite quickly, after which the first assessment will be to check if your qualifications comply with their minimum requirements. If the qualifications do not meet the requirements, you will probably get a negative reply promptly. If you fulfill the minimum requirements you are then ranked amongst your cohort. Instead of waiting for all applications to get in before they start ranking, LSE does so once there are sufficient numbers to form a 'gathered field'. The highly ranked cohort will get the next email saying you are one of the strong applicants and you will now be further assessed. Amongst the strong applicants, your PS will then be assessed and ranked. Those whose PS are not strong relative to the gathered field will receive the 'sorry your PS is not strong enough' email. This is last year's experience. It may not be the same for this year, as LSE may fine tune their process. The normal complaint is that it takes so long to hear from them, although that should be something to be happy about because those who hear early are usually rejections. Those who got offers in February were considered early as many received offers sometime in April. Those who get rejected in May obviously were very annoyed as they had waited so long, but many LSE courses have around 14:1 applicants to place ratio, so you can imagine how difficult and necessary the process is. Hope this helps everyone to relax and prepare for the long haul. And, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am also applying for PPE at Oxford, LSE and UCL and I'm in the same boat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LevCrofts)
    I am also applying for PPE at Oxford, LSE and UCL and I'm in the same boat.
    Hi, cool! Did you also get emails from UCL and LSE? And have you already started to prepare for the TSA as well?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, cool! Did you also get emails from UCL and LSE? And have you already started to prepare for the TSA as well?
    Yeah, I sent my application the 1st of October. Had an email from UCL on the 3rd of October giving me a log in to their portal. I recieved an email from LSE on the 6th of October saying that they had recieved my application and would get back to me within two weeks, I just had an email today saying that they have begun to look over my PS (I assume this means my grades are acceptable?) which should take about 2 weeks.

No I haven't started any TSA prep. Thought I might do a practice today? How about you? Which college are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    My details are currently being reviewed; applying for BSc in Poltics and Philsophy

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I sent my application the 1st of October. Had an email from UCL on the 3rd of October giving me a log in to their portal. I recieved an email from LSE on the 6th of October saying that they had recieved my application and would get back to me within two weeks, I just had an email today saying that they have begun to look over my PS (I assume this means my grades are acceptable?) which should take about 2 weeks.

No I haven't started any TSA prep. Thought I might do a practice today? How about you? Which college are you applying to?
    I sent it off sunday evening, got a reply from LSE the next day, and today emails from LSE and UCL, the same ones as you. Registering on the UCL website didn't work out however.

I did two practice tests so far, the first one went well, I got 37 out 50. Also have been practicing essays with my English teacher, as we don't really write those for school in the Dutch system, so I'm quite unexperienced.
    Do you think we will also get an email from Oxford, or do they only contact those who are invited for the interview?

ReputationRep:
    I sent it off sunday evening, got a reply from LSE the next day, and today emails from LSE and UCL, the same ones as you. Registering on the UCL website didn't work out however.

I did two practice tests so far, the first one went well, I got 37 out 50. Also have been practicing essays with my English teacher, as we don't really write those for school in the Dutch system, so I'm quite unexperienced.
    Do you think we will also get an email from Oxford, or do they only contact those who are invited for the interview?
    That sounds really good! Do you have any tips for the TSA?

Yeah I got an email from Oxford confirming everything and reminding me to register for the TSA.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds really good! Do you have any tips for the TSA?

Yeah I got an email from Oxford confirming everything and reminding me to register for the TSA.
    How long after sending off your application did you receive that email? If I may ask.

Mmm, well my tip would be to do all the past papers. Do them when you are not too tired and are able to concentrate so you will not 'waste' one, because they really don't go well when you can't concentrate. I totally messed up my seconde one, because I tried to do in it in the library of my school. They only give you a few, so use them well.

ReputationRep:
    How long after sending off your application did you receive that email? If I may ask.

Mmm, well my tip would be to do all the past papers. Do them when you are not too tired and are able to concentrate so you will not 'waste' one, because they really don't go well when you can't concentrate. I totally messed up my seconde one, because I tried to do in it in the library of my school. They only give you a few, so use them well.
    About a week, but it may be sooner.

Oh great, thanks, I'm really worried about it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.