Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    Yes, and also that deals in those countries are usually done according the law of that country, whereas in place like the UAE, HK, KSA, Qatar etc. it is fairly common for an international deal to specify English law even if it has fairly limited connection to the UK. There are basically quite a few areas a UK qualified lawyer could comfortably practice in at an international firm in the Middle East and so on, there are fewer they could do the same in within Europe.

There are areas where it's more common, eg. finance and arbitration, but not as many as with other parts of the world. Also, with the US (and Aus) it's quite difficult to just get the basic visa you need in order to work there.
    Ah I see.. What if you were to do a degree that was "law with x law" x being a language - does that qualify you for Europe too?

Just purely out of interest
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    Ah I see.. What if you were to do a degree that was "law with x law" x being a language - does that qualify you for Europe too?

Just purely out of interest
    It would certainly increase your chances of moving there in those areas where a move is more plausible. If you were to qualify as, say, an arbitration lawyer in London and wished to move to the Paris office (another big arbitration centre like London) it would certainly help if you could speak French and had a basic knowledge of the French legal system (not that you'd use it much, but it may come in handy every so often).

However, if you did the Law with French and qualified into Mergers and Acquisitions in London it probably wouldn't enable you to cross the Channel any more than normal, unless you could show a really good knowledge of French M&A law acquired during your year abroad (and probably an ensuing Masters there too).

ReputationRep:
    Live on the beach, grow my hair and write poetry.

ReputationRep:
    It would certainly increase your chances of moving there in those areas where a move is more plausible. If you were to qualify as, say, an arbitration lawyer in London and wished to move to the Paris office (another big arbitration centre like London) it would certainly help if you could speak French and had a basic knowledge of the French legal system (not that you'd use it much, but it may come in handy every so often).

However, if you did the Law with French and qualified into Mergers and Acquisitions in London it probably wouldn't enable you to cross the Channel any more than normal, unless you could show a really good knowledge of French M&A law acquired during your year abroad (and probably an ensuing Masters there too).
    Ahh ok, I see. Thanks for your help (Still won't let me rep you.. What is this TSR)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    Ahh ok, I see. Thanks for your help (Still won't let me rep you.. What is this TSR)
    You have to rep a certain number of peeople before you can rep the same person again, to stop people just plugging their mates every day when their rep comes back.

ReputationRep:
    You have to rep a certain number of peeople before you can rep the same person again, to stop people just plugging their mates every day when their rep comes back.
    I see, fairly logical I guess.. But I don't remember repping you recently either way, thought that counts ahah

ReputationRep:
    Greetings All! We are running a survey along similar lines with this post, and here is an invitation soliciting your participation to the study on the thought process of people about their life ambition.

Sponsored by Kenzenray®, a human sciences think tank, this research will help us identify gaps and barriers for individuals, in setting and aligning themselves to future aspirational goals.

For a gateway to a short online survey that should take less than 2 minutes to complete, please visit:

http://research.kenzenray.com

Your participation would be greatly appreciated. You may also choose to subscribe for a free summary report of the research results on completion of our study, by providing your email at the end of the survey.

Thank You.

why is there another

ReputationRep:
      Someone copied me :dontknow:

(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
        quite shamelessly too lol

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
        Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :rofl:

ReputationRep:
        I have some vague ideas about back up plans/alternative careers and obviously I could change my mind but for now I guess this is what I hope to do the most-

Career: Reporter/foreign correspondent

Reason: I'm interested in world politics. I like the idea of seeing things for myself and being able to share information to others - it's very important, though I am very aware it can be difficult/dangerous. I'd also like to branch into political research.

Steps: Start a Politics/History degree in September, discover and learn more about the areas I'm most interested in (West Africa, Central Africa, the Middle East, East Asia and Southeast Asia atm but this could change or become more specific), become fluent in French and one or two other languages, build on skills that would help with the job, try to get some work experience, bide my time in an admin position or teaching English abroad before hopefully getting an entry level job as a reporter - then work my way up from there. Just work hard/stay motivated and do research I suppose - haven't got much of a grand plan tbh :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
        Yawn boring all of you are boring.. such boring careers living as a corporate slave fun fun fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ana81)
        Yawn boring all of you are boring.. such boring careers living as a corporate slave fun fun fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
        If I can't become a corporation, and be a true winner, I want to cuddle a corporation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Wisefire)
        If I can't become a corporation, and be a true winner, I want to cuddle a corporation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
        and its that attitude thats killing society. why do you feel like you should pay to live on a planet you were born onto? why should you pay tax to another human to let you live?

Posted from TSR Mobile
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ana81)
        and its that attitude thats killing society. why do you feel like you should pay to live on a planet you were born onto? why should you pay tax to another human to let you live?

Posted from TSR Mobile
        How else do you expect us to survive? There us idealism(I'm an idealist most times) and then there's reality, you need to start facing it.

It's not "killing" society that's how societies are built, without tax we wouldn't have even the most basic of necessities and infrastructure. And, it's not another human - it's redistributed to the citizens of the country.

EDIT: I'm curious to find out your 'ideal' situation and.or career?

ReputationRep:
        I have spent a large amount of my lifetime dreaming up a beautiful, colourful future where I accomplish all of my dreams and all of my aspirations; this includes getting the oppertunity to have a wide variety of carees that I would enjoy and be able to juggle. Unfortunately this world knows not dreams but rather reality and a lifetime travels in a fleeting second, therefore I have accepted that everything I aspire to do will probably never manifest and the change that i'd love to make in this world, the impact i'd love to make will also probably never happen; so I've narrowed my career choices tob my two favourite and the two most realistic. I would love to be a Journalist for so many different reasons. Journalism is so fascinating and promises a life full of thrill, colour, fulfillment and excitement. Journalism is all about delivering the truth and I believe that in a time where news sources are corrupted and biased, real correct Journalism is now needed more that ever. Reading works by celebrated investigative journalists such as John Pilger made me realize how much my heart aches to become on my self. With Journalism, there is also a sense of you being able to "do something.". I feel helpless and distraught when I see innocents killed in Palestine and ****ups happen, knowing that i'm sitting behind a tv screen and not being able to do anything. Getting into Journalism would mean that i am doing something and take that feeling of incontrol and helplessness away. I also dispise routine work and being stuck in a boxed room, my soul yearns to travel and immerse itself in cultures and the fragnances and sounds of this beautiful world. Journalism would mean i'd constantly be on the go and would mean i'd travel all over the world. I also have an intense passion for english, writing, english literature and language in general. I would love to bathe in the beauty that is poetry and could spend up to ages thinking up a new, exciting world in my imagination before penning it into reality on some paper. Writing is my calling, be it poetry, articles on politics, fictional lands or my inner most thoughts collected on paper, it's something i thoroughly enjoy and so journalism would give me a chance to work with it. I'm still young so I have not yet had much experience promoting a future careers in journalism but I have tried a fair bit and have had some experience. Recently, I appeared on Al Jazeera, the news channel i dream of working for, to give my opinions on a Palestinian teachers school trip to Auswtich. It was an oppertunity that i cherished and it will hopefully stand me in good steed if/when I apply to journalism. I also have a blog that I write in which is what every journalist hopeful is encouraged to have. I am also part of our school's "BBC school report" which has given me an insight into Journalism. A Few years back, I was selected to travel to BBC radio studio along with a few others and we were given the oppertunity to create a podcast regarding what was happening in the world then. I have been in touch with the BBC and although there is no work experience available at the moment, they said they would be in contact in the future if there ever was. My alternative path of career would be medicine and although this is fairly ambitious, it is achievable if I work hard. Medicine is onece again exciting and also, like Journalism, extremely rewarding. I would get the satisfaction of that I amd doing my bit in making this messed up world a wee bit better. I Love biology (but hate chemistry haha) and looove maths so it's interesting and seems enjoyable in that aspect too. In regards to work experience in medicine, i've done a fair bit and plan to do even more. As I come from a family of medics, they organized work experience for me in various departments in a hospital and it was honestly so interesting that I was sold on it as a career then and there. Despite the "no person under the age of 18 in theatre" rule, I witnessed an orthopedic operation in a theatre and it was absolutely amazing. I plan to volunteer in one of our local hospitals this summer and my parents have also managed to organise abroad work exper for me when ever on holiday as my dads family own and run a hospital. Abroad, i'd be able to do so much more and it would also be very attractive work experience for universities if I do end up applying. But yeah haha, only 2 of the countless career paths in my mind. (Edit, sorry that this is a complete eyesore to read :/, my spacing is messed up for some reason and paragraphs won't show up )

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ahsim)
        I have spent a large amount of my lifetime dreaming up a beautiful, colourful future where I accomplish all of my dreams and all of my aspirations; this includes getting the oppertunity to have a wide variety of carees that I would enjoy and be able to juggle. Unfortunately this world knows not dreams but rather reality and a lifetime travels in a fleeting second, therefore I have accepted that everything I aspire to do will probably never manifest and the change that i'd love to make in this world, the impact i'd love to make will also probably never happen; so I've narrowed my career choices tob my two favourite and the two most realistic. I would love to be a Journalist for so many different reasons. Journalism is so fascinating and promises a life full of thrill, colour, fulfillment and excitement. Journalism is all about delivering the truth and I believe that in a time where news sources are corrupted and biased, real correct Journalism is now needed more that ever. Reading works by celebrated investigative journalists such as John Pilger made me realize how much my heart aches to become on my self. With Journalism, there is also a sense of you being able to "do something.". I feel helpless and distraught when I see innocents killed in Palestine and ****ups happen, knowing that i'm sitting behind a tv screen and not being able to do anything. Getting into Journalism would mean that i am doing something and take that feeling of incontrol and helplessness away. I also dispise routine work and being stuck in a boxed room, my soul yearns to travel and immerse itself in cultures and the fragnances and sounds of this beautiful world. Journalism would mean i'd constantly be on the go and would mean i'd travel all over the world. I also have an intense passion for english, writing, english literature and language in general. I would love to bathe in the beauty that is poetry and could spend up to ages thinking up a new, exciting world in my imagination before penning it into reality on some paper. Writing is my calling, be it poetry, articles on politics, fictional lands or my inner most thoughts collected on paper, it's something i thoroughly enjoy and so journalism would give me a chance to work with it. I'm still young so I have not yet had much experience promoting a future careers in journalism but I have tried a fair bit and have had some experience. Recently, I appeared on Al Jazeera, the news channel i dream of working for, to give my opinions on a Palestinian teachers school trip to Auswtich. It was an oppertunity that i cherished and it will hopefully stand me in good steed if/when I apply to journalism. I also have a blog that I write in which is what every journalist hopeful is encouraged to have. I am also part of our school's "BBC school report" which has given me an insight into Journalism. A Few years back, I was selected to travel to BBC radio studio along with a few others and we were given the oppertunity to create a podcast regarding what was happening in the world then. I have been in touch with the BBC and although there is no work experience available at the moment, they said they would be in contact in the future if there ever was. My alternative path of career would be medicine and although this is fairly ambitious, it is achievable if I work hard. Medicine is onece again exciting and also, like Journalism, extremely rewarding. I would get the satisfaction of that I amd doing my bit in making this messed up world a wee bit better. I Love biology (but hate chemistry haha) and looove maths so it's interesting and seems enjoyable in that aspect too. In regards to work experience in medicine, i've done a fair bit and plan to do even more. As I come from a family of medics, they organized work experience for me in various departments in a hospital and it was honestly so interesting that I was sold on it as a career then and there. Despite the "no person under the age of 18 in theatre" rule, I witnessed an orthopedic operation in a theatre and it was absolutely amazing. I plan to volunteer in one of our local hospitals this summer and my parents have also managed to organise abroad work exper for me when ever on holiday as my dads family own and run a hospital. Abroad, i'd be able to do so much more and it would also be very attractive work experience for universities if I do end up applying. But yeah haha, only 2 of the countless career paths in my mind. (Edit, sorry that this is a complete eyesore to read :/, my spacing is messed up for some reason and paragraphs won't show up )
        Paragraphs ? :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        Career: Research Mathematician, but if that fails then break into investment banking.
        Why?: I like Maths more than money. But I also like what doors money can open.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by arrow900)
        Career: Research Mathematician, but if that fails then break into investment banking.
        Why?: I like Maths more than money. But I also like what doors money can open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
        Are you an undergrad at the moment?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.