Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a Muslim who is questioning his faith anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    How can u be bothered praying and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zantetsuken)
    Have you ever heard of Quran alone/Quranism Islam? It's more common sense based and open minded, rather than rigid and scholar/sheikh inspired.

I'll give you some informative links if you're interested.
    Yes, but I think it is wrong to reject hadith and sunnah. I think that is an integral part of Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsbehonest)
    How can u be bothered praying and stuff?
    It doesn't really feel like a chore. It helps me split up my day and just take a moment or two out of busy days if that makes sense. It's like on a very busy day, I'll go out to pray and it'll help take me away from the situation at hand and relaxes me.
    I smoke when I'm stressed and its kind of like the same thing. When a situation becomes stressful I like to go away from it all and spend a couple of minutes by myself.

And I enjoy praying Quran because I enjoy how I sound when I pray it. (That sounds pretty self-centred but I just mean I enjoy the melodious tone to it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Like I said self gain. Not very altruistic.

(Not a question but just a comment).

I believe that a Muslim who does good for the sake of Allah is better than a non-Muslim who does good.

* A Muslim acknowledges the guidance of his Creator and acknowledges the sovereignty of God to judge what is right from what is wrong. A non-Muslim would have himself as a judge to what he's doing and would deny that gratitude has to be shown to a Creator because they believe that He does not exist

* True altruism does not exist. Its hard or impossible to give an example of someone doing good (giving charity) for its own self. People have an image of the world in their heads and they feel a need to satisfy a need in the world inside their heads. Its all about that satisfaction and comfort. While a Muslim does not deny being selfish but acknowledge that reward for his actions is from God and that everything is in God's plan

* Islam is a broad religion that has to cater for people from all types of cultures and ways of thinking. An example is the prevention of sin. Some people need the fear of hell to prevent them from doing wrongs but others just need to use their conscience. Some people need the reward from God to do good. Others needn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalBlue7)
    (Not a question but just a comment).

I believe that <<if Islam is true>> a Muslim who does good for the sake of Allah is better than a non-Muslim who does good.

* A Muslim acknowledges the guidance of his Creator and acknowledges the sovereignty of God to judge what is right from what is wrong. A non-Muslim would have himself as a judge to what he's doing and would deny that gratitude has to be shown to a Creator because they believe that He does not exist

* True altruism does not exist. Its hard or impossible to give an example of someone doing good (giving charity) for its own self. People have an image of the world in their heads and they feel a need to satisfy a need in the world inside their heads. Its all about that satisfaction and comfort. While a Muslim does not deny being selfish but acknowledge that reward for his actions is from God.

* Islam is a broad religion that has to cater for people from all types of cultures and ways of thinking. An example is the prevention of sin. Some people need the fear of hell to prevent them from doing wrongs but others just need to use their conscience. Some people need the reward from God to do good. Others needn't.
    1. Is based on a very very strong assumption that Islam is true.

2. Yes I agree. However I do find it annoying when people say that Muslims are very charitable people which is true but it's because it is compulsory to donate 2.5% of ones wealth and money.

3. Fair enough, but is it right as a child being bought up with ridiculously scary stories of hell if you don't believe and follow. I remember I use to get the occasional nightmare of the stuff, when my mosque teachers and Imams would describe hell.

ReputationRep:
    punishment for apostasy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDE0z42wpr4
    Start the video at 7:40

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exon)
    Have you spilled the beans yet?
    Still curious to know what you meant by spilling the beans. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarletXxXRose)
    I know the punishment for apostasy. Why are you telling me this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Bit of background.

Come from a very strict ultra-conservative south Asian Muslim family
    I've memorised the the Qur'an cover to cover
    I'm 19 living away from home term-time (currently at home - fasting)
    Abstain from pork, ham and alcohol and only eat halal meat.
    Do have a non-Muslim girlfriend
    Pray and fast regularly

Anyway got to go away for a bit so I'll answer the questions when I get back.
    You've memorised the Quran but it seems you don't understand it. It's not just about memorising, it's about reflecting on it's meanings.

You seem lonely

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by muj121)
      You've memorised the Quran but it seems you don't understand it. It's not just about memorising, it's about reflecting on it's meanings.
      I've also read it in English.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by arfah)
      You seem lonely
      How so?
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ScarletXxXRose)
      To me rules like this in Religions just supports the idea that Religions are probably man made for control.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TSA)
      1. Is based on a very very strong assumption that Islam is true.

2. Yes I agree. However I do find it annoying when people say that Muslims are very charitable people which is true but it's because it is compulsory to donate 2.5% of ones wealth and money.

3. Fair enough, but is it right as a child being bought up with ridiculously scary stories of hell if you don't believe and follow. I remember I use to get the occasional nightmare of the stuff, when my mosque teachers and Imams would describe hell.
      1. Yeah, you're right, but that what's Muslims believe. So you have to take that as a "premise" and then judge their actions.

2. But its not all about Zakath. We give Sadaqah too, and surely you'll know how many many times the Quran encourages this (social work - treating the orphans, helping the needy etc). The fact that Islam (and Judaism) has a system like this (Zakath) should be admirable as a whole. But yes, it is annoying when Muslims are praised for something they're "forced" to do, but then again in the proper Islamic environment there should be no compulsion in religion (but in promises, oaths and the likes)

3. Yes I believe that the Quran has to entertain a wide variety of audiences. Some stuff may not appeal to some people but might do to others. Its important to believe in the whole though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by TSA)
        How so?
        I can tell when someone's lonely and you are. Don't ask how I know, it's not difficult to find out.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by arfah)
        I can tell when someone's lonely and you are. Don't ask how I know, it's not difficult to find out.
        Okay...:K:

(Original post by TSA)
          Okay...:K:
          I hope I didn't creep you out

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by arfah)
          I hope I didn't creep you out
          Pretty sure you did.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by TSA)
          Yes, but I think it is wrong to reject hadith and sunnah. I think that is an integral part of Islam.
          I'm surprised you think that, considering that it is those exact sources which your doubts about Islam are most likely based on. May I ask you why you think they're integral? The contradictions between the primary (Quran) and self-chosen secondary (Hadith/Sunna) are vast.

Have you seen how different and progressive Islam would be if those traditional sources were rejected? It might not be the perfect guidance that you're seeking, but you should give it a chance. I'd wager that your presumptions won't match what they find.

I went through a very similar thing at your age, so I know how it feels to have huge doubts about everything you've ever been told and believed. When confronted with anything though, you should always investigate and be open to a different viewpoint. I'm not the most 'religious' guy these days (mainly because I don't believe in organised religion), but I still try and read the Quran (without secondary influence and in multiple translations), and still feel that it just (for the most part) makes sense and agrees with my inner being.

It is up to you though. You are your own man of course.

(Original post by TSA)
            Pretty sure you did.
            Well then I apologise

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          Useful resources
          AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.