Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE Results: Retake and Remark information - 21 August 2014 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Got 7A*s, 2A and 2B (really disappointed- was aiming for 8 A* and 3As)

physics-5 marks away from A* boundary (did Igcse)
    french- 6 UMS away from A boundary
    geog- 2 marks from A boundary, also did Igcse

is it worth remarking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    I don't think you can mark Unit 3 again, can you? But if you can, definitely go for it, but look at how close you were to the boundary. I was expecting a C in my performance, but ended up with a strong B, lol, but our examiner was really nice - she even wished us good luck, and that's weird, coming from an examiner! Aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I guess I'll have to email my drama teacher and ask. I do remember them recording it on the day so maybe it's possible
    Well done on your preformance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakmoh15)

is it worth remarking?
    perhaps geography as it's so close, but i wouldn't send off physics as 5 marks is quite a bit, especially for a science. french is also quite far off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    perhaps geography as it's so close, but i wouldn't send off physics as 5 marks is quite a bit, especially for a science. french is also quite far off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    6 ums correlates to 4 marks, is that far off? Idk, cos I got A's in all my modules except 1 when I got a C (listening paper)

ReputationRep:
    6 ums correlates to 4 marks, is that far off? Idk, cos I got A's in all my modules except 1 when I got a C (listening paper)
    listening papers are mostly multiple choice which would mean it would be very unlikely that your mark changed at all. but you could try.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your best shot would be to get the writing remarked, that's the most subjective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Sarah Bethany)
    Does anyone know if you have to pay to see your paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by adrianc1)
    Yes it's about £7-9
    You can't see a scan of your paper for GCSE - you can ask your school to see if they'd be willing to request an original copy but you can't remark a paper after that.

(Original post by CPNICO)
    I received a 'B' in AQA Geography - 313 UMS overall, seven UMS marks off an 'A'. Would it be worth me enquiring about remarking are are 7 UMS points too many?
    Thank you.
    I'd just leave it tbh - 7 UMS is a fair amount. A B grade is awesome though - well done

(Original post by adrianc1)
    Hey,

So yesterday I got my results and i got 10 UMs of a C in English, but i'm going to West Thames London college and they don't do GCSe retakes. They have an ESOL course which is good for me as i'm not English but if i want to do an apprenticeship next year I need a C in English but is ESOl and equivalent to C? or can i go to my old High school and ask them for a re sit?.
    I don't know about the course at your new college but you have nothing to lose by asking your old school about retaking.

(Original post by Shauna x)
    I got 45 marks in the ccea physics unit one paper and the beginning of the b band is 46, is there any chance if it gets remarked that I could get a b? I'm in double award so I am worried about getting a BC for my overall results next year.
    It's not really worth it for the science ones tbh - the chance of them going up is very low. :sadnod:

(Original post by IhateMichealGove)
    Hi guys I used the ums mark converters on the exam board websites and found that I was exactly 1 raw mark away from A* on English language and German. Should I remark and how and when by? Thanks
    It's up to you - it's more likely for marks to change in subjects where marking is more subjective like English.

To get a remark, speak to your examinations officer. You have until the 20th September to ask (although your school may have an earlier deadline, so best to speak to them ASAP!).

(Original post by KAWK)
    Hi, If i don't remark the paper that only got an A but I did for the paper that got an A*, what are my chances of getting those 5 UMS marks? One forum moderator said that it's around 2-3 marks but when I went on the UMS - Mark convertor then I found that it was actually 6 marks, which seems quite a lot. Is it 6 marks or 2-3 marks?

Also, I was going to ask at the dentistry link, isn't that the minimum needed and people who get better marks than 6 A * would easily get in? Also, is there an IB section like this aswell? That would be hugely important.
    If the official website says it's 6 marks, it will be 6 marks. It can vary between different years and different subjects which is why you were probably told that (that is often the case).

Obviously the higher the grades the better but if you meet their requirements, then you can still apply there and strengthen other areas of your application. 6A*'s are fine for dentistry!

As in, an IB forum or an IB-dentistry thing? For the former, you can find it here but AFAIK, there is currently no wiki page showing IB requirements for dentistry on here. :no:

(Original post by Willward58)
    Hi, I'm tempted to get a remark on my IGCSE Edexcel English Literature exam. I got 69/100 which is an A. The boundary for the A* is 73/100 and the entire qualification is based off the exam (AKA there's no coursework). Is 4 marks too much to go for a remark even though it's a subjective subject? I'm doing it at A Level so it would be nice to get up a grade if possible.
    Thanks!
    4 marks is a fair amount tbh. It's unlikely, but certainly not impossible.

(Original post by Kill3er)
    Is this true for AS too, or just GCSE?
    Just AS - you can find the A-Level thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2763310

is it worth remarking?
    Maybe geography, but I wouldn't get French or Physics remarked. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    x
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    x
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    x
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    x
    Hi,

I received 4A's, 4B's and 2C's (RS AQA was a mess last year).

But I'm not happy with this. I was supposed to get 4A*'s and 6A's.
    However, 3 of the A's I have received were each 1 mark off an A*. These were in History, English Literature and Business.

One of my B's is a mark off an A (Geography) and the other B is 5 marks off an A (Science Additional) I was one mark off an A in French last year too

I'm really disappointed with these grades, especially as they're so close to the A*s and As . I would like to retake Science Additional and French but it will come in the way of my A Levels next year. I'd have to retake the exams, so it'll be too time-consuming .

I'm thinking of getting remarks for English Literature and History. I think I will for Business and Geography too, but I'm not sure if the marks would change in these two subjects. Do you think they would?

Thanks in advance .

ReputationRep:
    Can you resit a unit in aqa exam if you were disqualified from it?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I need help deciding which aqa english lit unit to remark (or to not even remark).

I got 176 UMS in my english lit gcse, which is 4 ums off an A*

In unit 1 I got 51/68 which is 72/80 UMS.
    In unit 2 I got 35/54 which is 60/70 UMS.

Either one of them need to increase by 4 marks to increase by 4 UMS. Also they both have room to decrease by 16 marks and still remain on an A grade overall.

ReputationRep:
    X
    I was 3 ums off an A in history, 1 ums off an A* in biology and 2 ums off an A* in physics. Is it worth getting these remarked?

Also, do all the exam boards refund money if your mark changes? Does this include your mark decreasing or do they only refund with an increase?

ReputationRep:
    What about subjects like Geography, because i thought i would get an A* (by the answers i wrote) but ended but getting an A (30UMS of an A* :confused:) so i have decided against a remark. Also if you send in 2 papers and your grade changes do you get a refund for both papers?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

In my 'Art & Design: Fine Art' GCSE (EDEXCEL) I received a B even though I was previously told by my teacher that I had received an A grade.

Looking at the grade boundaries, I was 2 UMS marks away from an A.

However, I am aware that my work was invigilated and this is probably the reason why my grade has gone down from an A to a B.

Do you think I should get my work remarked, or do you think that my grade could become even lower?

If so, what are the procedures for remarking Art coursework?

Thanks
    • Study Helper

(Original post by ok2)
    Hi,

I received 4A's, 4B's and 2C's (RS AQA was a mess last year).

But I'm not happy with this. I was supposed to get 4A*'s and 6A's.
    However, 3 of the A's I have received were each 1 mark off an A*. These were in History, English Literature and Business.

One of my B's is a mark off an A (Geography) and the other B is 5 marks off an A (Science Additional) I was one mark off an A in French last year too

I'm really disappointed with these grades, especially as they're so close to the A*s and As . I would like to retake Science Additional and French but it will come in the way of my A Levels next year. I'd have to retake the exams, so it'll be too time-consuming .

I'm thinking of getting remarks for English Literature and History. I think I will for Business and Geography too, but I'm not sure if the marks would change in these two subjects. Do you think they would?

Thanks in advance .
    Hi! :awesome:

Firstly, I am sorry that you are not happy with your grades.

It's hard for us to give you a definitive answer as we haven't seen your papers but in general, it is more likely for marks to change in subjects where the marking is more subjective (like English and History), so you may as well go for remarks in those if you want to. I'm not entirely sure what Business and Geography involve - do they have much essay writing in them/questions in which you're asked to give your opinions?

(Original post by Jonnyss)
    I need help deciding which aqa english lit unit to remark (or to not even remark).

I got 176 UMS in my english lit gcse, which is 4 ums off an A*

In unit 1 I got 51/68 which is 72/80 UMS.
    In unit 2 I got 35/54 which is 60/70 UMS.

Either one of them need to increase by 4 marks to increase by 4 UMS. Also they both have room to decrease by 16 marks and still remain on an A grade overall.
    It is very unlikely that the mark will drop significantly for you to lose your A tbh. But then on the other hand, 4 UMS is also a fair amount tbh! I'd personally leave it as an A grade is still very, very good.

(Original post by Excuse Me!)
    I was 3 ums off an A in history, 1 ums off an A* in biology and 2 ums off an A* in physics. Is it worth getting these remarked?

Also, do all the exam boards refund money if your mark changes? Does this include your mark decreasing or do they only refund with an increase?
    It is probably not worth it for the sciences tbh - it is unlikely that marks will change in these. It is probably more worthwhile getting a remark for History.

If your grade changes, you will get your money refunded. I don't know if they refund it if the mark decreases, though. :no:

(Original post by DannyBoyMorrison)
    What about subjects like Geography, because i thought i would get an A* (by the answers i wrote) but ended but getting an A (30UMS of an A* :confused:) so i have decided against a remark. Also if you send in 2 papers and your grade changes do you get a refund for both papers?
    30 UMS is a fair amount, so I think you've done the sensible thing.

Yep, you should do!

(Original post by jasmin_bhim)
    Hi guys,

In my 'Art & Design: Fine Art' GCSE (EDEXCEL) I received a B even though I was previously told by my teacher that I had received an A grade.

Looking at the grade boundaries, I was 2 UMS marks away from an A.

However, I am aware that my work was invigilated and this is probably the reason why my grade has gone down from an A to a B.

Do you think I should get my work remarked, or do you think that my grade could become even lower?

If so, what are the procedures for remarking Art coursework?

Thanks
    I am afraid that individual courseworks that was first marked by teachers and then moderated can't be remarked. :no: Either the whole centre's has to be remarked or no one's, so it's up to the discretion of the school.

ReputationRep:
    I am afraid that individual courseworks that was first marked by teachers and then moderated can't be remarked. :no: Either the whole centre's has to be remarked or no one's, so it's up to the discretion of the school.
    Hello, I believe my English Literature Unit 3 has been toyed with. My teacher gave our class our marks for the controllled assessment and put them forward (and said they were confirmed, no change). Luckily I remember two of my friends results and I asked them what number it said. Their Unit 3 translated exactly to the correct UMS as to what they got.

However, mine didn't. My teacher told me I got 36/40 (which translates to around 45/46 out of 50 in UMS) but my results sheet says 39. When I looked at the UMS converter, it appeared that I got 30. Is it possible that my teacher has misread my 36 to be 30? Because if it is the case, she has cost me the A grade.

I'm unsure about how moderation works but my friends got the exact marks they were told they got.
    • Study Helper

(Original post by HeskeyLAD)
    Hello, I believe my English Literature Unit 3 has been toyed with. My teacher gave our class our marks for the controllled assessment and put them forward (and said they were confirmed, no change). Luckily I remember two of my friends results and I asked them what number it said. Their Unit 3 translated exactly to the correct UMS as to what they got.

However, mine didn't. My teacher told me I got 36/40 (which translates to around 45/46 out of 50 in UMS) but my results sheet says 39. When I looked at the UMS converter, it appeared that I got 30. Is it possible that my teacher has misread my 36 to be 30? Because if it is the case, she has cost me the A grade.

I'm unsure about how moderation works but my friends got the exact marks they were told they got.
    Hmm...that is a bit strange! I'm not entirely sure how moderation works either so I think it'd be best if you asked your teacher for an explanation as soon as you can.

ReputationRep:
    Just AS - you can find the A-Level thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2763310
    :nah:
    Your reply scared the **** out of me.
    Just GCSE.

Thank you very much though.

ReputationRep:
    3 raw marks off overall a* in english language, however if the marks drop by more than 5 i get a B, is it worth risking remarking? How often do marks decrease by a substantial amount?

ReputationRep:
    Is my Art exam worth remarking? Was one UMS off an A* and altogether along with my personal portfolio I got a B was wondering if anyone has ever had a remark especially in Art?! My exam board was edexcel btw

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

In advance, thanks for any advice given.

So, I got my GCSE grades on Thursday and in general I was pretty please.

However, I was incredibly angry/annoyed to find out that I missed out on the A* grade in AQA PRE and Chemistry by just one UMS. That's right folks, one b****y UMS!

After some thinking, i've decided I defiantly want to get at least some of the modules remarked in order to hopefully bump up my grades to the A*.

Listed below are the UMS that I got in each module that made up the qualification. I would appreciate advice on what modules to get remarked.

AQA Chemistry:

Unit One: 90/100 UM​S
    Unit Two: 94/100 UMS
    Unit Three: 95/100 UMS
    Unit Four (ISA): 80/100 UMS CANNOT GET REMARKED

So, as you can see I got an A* in all of the written papers but due to my lower mark in the ISA my overall grade was pulled down.

In this situation, what papers would you recommend to get remarked. Instinctively I would say all, but then again grade could go down.

TL;DR - Missed out on A* in Chemistry by one UMS. Results for papers are listed above. If you were in my situation, which papers would you recommend getting remarked?
    AQA PRE:

Unit One: 90/100
    Unit Two: 89/100

So, this situation is a little different to my chemistry one. Due to how close both marks are to the boundary, I am left with less wiggle room. I do not want to be in the situation where one grade goes up, but the other goes down, only to leave me with the result I got before.

TL;DR - Missed out on A* in PRE by one UMS. Need advice on what papers to get remarked. If you were in my situation, which papers would you get remarked?

Thanks again.

- will

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.