Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gman10)
    I have 7 fairly large houses haha... I actually feel quite bad about it though for some reason :/
    7?!?!?!?!

Why do you even need that many?:lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Ha, my mum's car is about 14 years old.
    tbh from my experience, people who are properly well off don't bother with buying flashy cars all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    7?!?!?!?!

probably holiday homes and business homes. That's what ours are anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths learner)
    probably holiday homes and business homes. That's what ours are anyway.
    But 7? :lol: I really am naive

ReputationRep:
    This didn't happen to me but my brother. Somebody asked him what would you do if you had £1 million. Pretty common question. And he replied with call the bank and ask where the rest was. I was like oh dear, you can't go round saying this to people and act serious about it lol.

ReputationRep:
    But 7? :lol: I really am naive
    Haha, you get use to what you have I guess. We have two in UK, one in France, one in Hamptons, one in Thailand, one in Austria and one in Japan. :P. All used for different things surprsingly.

That's not meant to come across arrogantly. Just explaining.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, you get use to what you have I guess. We have two in UK, one in France, one in Hamptons, one in Thailand, one in Austria and one in Japan. :P. All used for different things surprsingly.

I'm actually jealous :lol:

I've never been to France... We always go out further. Mum doesn't really like European holidays, I liked Italy though.

She prefers Dubai...

Can you speak any of the languages?

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually jealous :lol:

I've never been to France... We always go out further. Mum doesn't really like European holidays, I liked Italy though.

She prefers Dubai...

Can you speak any of the languages?
    Aha maybe you'll come to one oneday (who knows). Oh nice never been Dubai, might be going in November though. I can speak Japanese and Thai, a tiny bit of French (I really should learn it), and can speak Cantonese reasonably well.

ReputationRep:
    Aha maybe you'll come to one oneday (who knows). Oh nice never been Dubai, might be going in November though. I can speak Japanese and Thai, a tiny bit of French (I really should learn it), and can speak Cantonese reasonably well.
    That's v impressive

Thai has a beauty of a writing script...

The irony is I can speak French quite well, Arabic nope!

ReputationRep:
    That's v impressive

Thai has a beauty of a writing script...

The irony is I can speak French quite well, Arabic nope!
    Yeah it is really nice . I prefer Japanese and Cantonese though, the pictographic representation . Oh nice. Yeah I should probably learn French, but my dad wants me to learn Arabic to help him with some deals he is conducting -.-

ReputationRep:
    I remember my parents changing supermarket because pasta and staples like that were cheaper at one than the other...

Our situation got a lot better when my Mum went into full-time work when I was about 12, and we ended up as almost-middle-class kids. I never realised that we weren't well off before, even though we lived in a bungalow in a very deprived area, because my parents saved everything and spent what they had on us. They went years without buying themselves new clothes so that we could have new school shoes and stuff like that, and saved up supermarket vouchers all year so that we could go to Legoland once a year, between our birthdays. It gave me a good attitude to life and priorities, I think. Even though things are a bit more comfortable now, the idea of splashing out on something like a games console or designer clothes is totally alien to me: I'd always spend it on memories. Or books!

ReputationRep:
    I never considered myself to be poor because I felt like everyone was like us but as I got older and saw that my friends were always shopping, had designer watches/ handbags and went out every other night made me feel poor, not my normal standards but compared to everyone else,
    I usually have to wear my older sisters clothes because my parents won't buy me my own, all my clothes have pretty much come from my own savings,
    When I was younger my lunch would always be butter sandwiches, 3 cookies and some squash in a bottle and even now my mum will hardly bring crisps and chocolates,
    As with my room, I don't even have a desk to work on, my room is due to getting fixed so I'm looking forward to it so it's embarrassing when I don't invite my friends round cause they'll think I'll live in a shack,
    I'm called the spoilt one in my family because I had more than my siblings did when they were my age but if you look at society and trying to fit in, having a phone is not a big deal, my brother and sister have proper jobs so they support themselves,
    We're not poor though, we have enough room in our house, food, heating, maybe not luxuries but more than the necessities, we can afford to have a few laptops and video games and sky HD so it's not that hard as some families struggle more, I'm just appreciative of what I have because I came from humble beginnings so my motivation to make something for myself comes from the fact I want to achieve and not have to second guess myself whether or not I can pick up a £2 innocent smoothie bottle when there is another for £1, one thing I've learnt is to manage money and not buy into brands such as iphones...

ReputationRep:
    Oh woah, in my defence, I do take the London underground when in London!
    The tube is way too hot, and way too busy!

ReputationRep:
    I had the opposite revelation to lots of people in here. I thought we were well-off until I went to Cambridge and met lots of actually well-off people. I'd probably still count us as relatively well-off, but 'comfortable' might be a more appropriate word.

Two well-off moments were when my dad took me into his work and I saw all his staff for the first time, and when they took me round looking at villas (for them) to buy in America. But I'd assumed for a long while.

ReputationRep:

If I may ask, why Austria? Surely Switzerland is the better option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    If I may ask, why Austria? Surely Switzerland is the better option?
    For snowboarding and sking . Mhmm probably, but the Austrian one was cheaper at the time.

ReputationRep:
    For snowboarding and sking . Mhmm probably, but the Austrian one was cheaper at the time.
    Fair enough, skiing is sublime in Austria.

ReputationRep:
    7?!?!?!?!

Haha parents have a job that requires a lot of travelling, but I agree it does seem a little excessive! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gman10)
    Haha parents have a job that requires a lot of travelling, but I agree it does seem a little excessive! :P
    I want my kids to have this!

one in each continent

ReputationRep:
    I want my kids to have this!

one in each continent
    Haha, everyone can get anything if they work hard! Life has no boundaries and I am a firm believer that you will have everything you want if you really really want it bad enough

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.