Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last year we had this table where people input their university choices, their application dates, uni replies, offers, interviews etc. Everybody edited it as we went along and it was a good way to keep people informed on dates and such like. I have created one for this year on the following link... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...e_courses_2015

If you would like to input your information, click edit on the top and add yourself under the last person in the table. It is quite tricky so if you need help let me know

There are 2 other people on there so you can get an idea of how its done, hope this is helpful
    x

ReputationRep:
    I tried to add myself to the table but it didn't work aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djavor)
    I tried to add myself to the table but it didn't work aha
    It was because you put a - before your username... i've changed it and now you're on there x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anomea)
    Hi, I also have an interview at UEA and a questionnaire for Reading though I sent the questionnaire off yesterday How did you find the questionnaire?
    Aw yay! The questionnaire was quite tough I found, but I've finished it! How did you find it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clivia)
    Good to hear you are happy with the decision, that's certainly encouraging. Several people I've talked to don't understand why I consider doing another undergraduate, especially if I qualify for the masters.

I know the statement is extremely important, that's what worries me as I'm struggling with it. Hard facts are fine but this statement.. It would be very interesting to read yours if you don't mind, yes please!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it makes you feel any better there are actually quite a few mature people in my year and all but two (I think) have actually got a degree so it is definitely more common than I was expecting. Subjects were: English, English/Classics, linguistics, pharmacology, theatre/performance (something like that), and modern languages. I do not know the other people's background.

My opinion is that having a degree does not automatically make you qualified for the postgraduate route. Some of these people have less relevant degrees (you get lots of psychology students going for the PG route) and less work experience than some of the postgraduates I have spoken to (my work experience and previous achievements are quite unique so it is hard to compare directly to other people, but I might fall into that category too - that is honesty for you!) so it might be the case that it is simply easier to get in through the undergraduate route.

I think people that are willing to sacrifice two years of their life to get from A to B as quickly as possible will naturally gravitate towards the postgraduate route. That is almost always the main reason for picking the postgraduate; second being it is easier to work abroad. Other than that there is no real difference between the courses. I was talking to one of my lecturers, who I knew personally beforehand, about this and he said they was still an element of scepticism about postgraduate routes.

If you personal message me your email address I will send you my UCAS statement from last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nesca89)
    It was because you put a - before your username... i've changed it and now you're on there x
    wow feel silly, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    If it makes you feel any better there are actually quite a few mature people in my year and all but two (I think) have actually got a degree so it is definitely more common than I was expecting. Subjects were: English, English/Classics, linguistics, pharmacology, theatre/performance (something like that), and modern languages. I do not know the other people's background.

My opinion is that having a degree does not automatically make you qualified for the postgraduate route. Some of these people have less relevant degrees (you get lots of psychology students going for the PG route) and less work experience than some of the postgraduates I have spoken to (my work experience and previous achievements are quite unique so it is hard to compare directly to other people, but I might fall into that category too - that is honesty for you!) so it might be the case that it is simply easier to get in through the undergraduate route.

I think people that are willing to sacrifice two years of their life to get from A to B as quickly as possible will naturally gravitate towards the postgraduate route. That is almost always the main reason for picking the postgraduate; second being it is easier to work abroad. Other than that there is no real difference between the courses. I was talking to one of my lecturers, who I knew personally beforehand, about this and he said they was still an element of scepticism about postgraduate routes.

If you personal message me your email address I will send you my UCAS statement from last year.
    That's interesting what you said about the number of mature students in your course. I actually studied SLT for a year at Manchester Uni (only for a year due to various reasons, none being that I didn't enjoy it or wasn't good at it) and in my year, about 1/5 of the students were 'mature'. Those with previous degrees didn't seem to have qualifications particularly relevant to SLT though, I think it was more a case of motivation and experience.
    I am slightly worried about fitting my qualifications into the UCAS system as most of them were gained abroad. Although I achieved a First in my undergraduate degree which was also quite relevant (linguistics, focusing on speech pathology), I didn't do particularly well in my a-levels equivalents, and these seems to be quite important in the undergraduate application system.

Anyway, I'll PM you my email address now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just got the questionnaire from Reading to complete but I'm pretty sure I don't even want to go there aha

ReputationRep:
    Last year we had this table where people input their university choices, their application dates, uni replies, offers, interviews etc. Everybody edited it as we went along and it was a good way to keep people informed on dates and such like. I have created one for this year on the following link... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...e_courses_2015

If you would like to input your information, click edit on the top and add yourself under the last person in the table. It is quite tricky so if you need help let me know

There are 2 other people on there so you can get an idea of how its done, hope this is helpful
    x
    Yay thanks for doing this! I've added myself to the table with my uni choices. As soon as I press send i'll add my date on too - should be within the next week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madagascar)
    Yay thanks for doing this! I've added myself to the table with my uni choices. As soon as I press send i'll add my date on too - should be within the next week
    Yaay, thank you for adding yourself good luck with your application x

ReputationRep:
    Got an interview for Man met guys!

ReputationRep:
    Waheeey, well done you! When is your interview?

ReputationRep:
    Waheeey, well done you! When is your interview?
    Thank Youu 3rd December so might bump into you

ReputationRep:
    Thank Youu 3rd December so might bump into you
    Oh cool, good luck hehe

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    There is already a thread for 2015 applicants:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...y#post51445395

and this will take you to one of the posts. Sorry don't know another way of doing it.

I applied to BCU at the end of September but not heard anything yet.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Congrats !!

ReputationRep:
    Sent my ucas form to my referee... Slightly nervous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dancer32014)
    Sent my ucas form to my referee... Slightly nervous
    Good luck! Where are you applying to? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madagascar)
    Good luck! Where are you applying to? x
    Thanks a lot! Newcastle, Reading, Sheffield, Manchester and DMU

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.