The Student Room Group

Remarks for 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by TheTechN1304
Good luck with the Japanese remark. :wink:

Quick question, how did you find A2 Japanese compared to AS? I had my first A2 lesson today and had a bit of a panic while looking over the translation section from an A2 past paper that my teacher dumped in front of me, as there was a lot of stuff I didn't know how to translate into Japanese. Did you find the A2 much more of a challenge, and how did you deal with it, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Thank you very much! I feel a bit greedy but I might as well...

Aah, the first few days of A2. :moon:

To be honest, the translation is definitely the worst it gets - once you start looking at the comprehensions you may feel a little better, as they are pretty straightforward and there's no quality of language mark like there is at AS, so you can literally copy sentences out of the text and get the mark.

Translation is basically a bitch. Your best hope is paraphrasing as best you can with stuff that you can say. Like for 'donors' I'd end up writing 'people that gave money'. You should get the same marks - they're marking for 'transfer of meaning' rather than accuracy of vocab anyway. They have the half marks that you have at AS too though, so if you sort of get the meaning you get 0.5 for that sentence, and the final score is always rounded up. Some stuff you won't be able to paraphrase of course. For me, I just tried to learn as much vocab as humanly possible! Do you use Anki? I highly recommend using something with SRS to learn vocab and kanji over the year, it really will pay dividends.

Essays should be pretty easy - hopefully your teacher will guide you through building up responses to general questions, and you can combine them all depending on what actually comes up. Nail an introduction for each essay that you can use regardless of the question!

I found A2 hard, and I did a lot more work than I did at AS because I knew I had to get that A. But I still stick by my guns that it's nothing compared to he GCSE to AS jump.

Drop me a PM if you have any more questions! :smile:
Original post by Cranberrysauce
If anyone has any further advice it would be muchly appreciated !

I am not an expert at how the geography paper is structured or marked since I did not take the subject at A level, but I must say to drop 8 marks in one paper is very uncommon. The least it could fall by is 5 marks max, and if that doesn't change your overall grade I would go for the remark because like you have said an A* will put you in a stronger position! This is just my opinion, but it is a risk and no one except you can decide whether that risk is worth it or not. An A grade is not bad though and many people struggle to even get that, so don't be disheartened by your result but like I have stated it's up to you - at the end of the day it's your the one who it affects!

Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by Teddysmith123
I am not an expert at how the geography paper is structured or marked since I did not take the subject at A level, but I must say to drop 8 marks in one paper is very uncommon. The least it could fall by is 5 marks max, and if that doesn't change your overall grade I would go for the remark because like you have said an A* will put you in a stronger position! This is just my opinion, but it is a risk and no one except you can decide whether that risk is worth it or not. An A grade is not bad though and many people struggle to even get that, so don't be disheartened by your result but like I have stated it's up to you - at the end of the day it's your the one who it affects!

Hope that helped :smile:

Out of 200 ums in A2 , G3 is 120/200 and G4 80/200 I'm on about remarking G3 . I have 98 ums and need 100 to get an A* . Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by AlexKay99
Did you say the post arrived with a copy of his script? I thought it was an electronic copy sent by email?

They do occasionally arrive in the post if the candidate strayed over the lines so the paper couldn't be scanned in without words being lost.
Original post by Cranberrysauce
Hello everyone,
I'm in a tricky situation and any help would be excellent. I'm looking at studying geography at Bristol uni , it wants AAA and I have A*AB ( A* in prod des, A in geog and B in bio) and an A* in ep related to geography. Do you think I would get a place if I applied it would they instantly dismiss me new use of my grades . Also I'm 2ums of an A* in geography which is like 1 mark . I can get it remarked but if I loose marks I can lose the A and get a B . I'd have to loose 8 marks for that to happen . Do I remark it or not , my teachers all say it's your choice but loosing 8 marks is a huge amount and as I only need less than 1 mark it comes across as they think I should do it without advising for obvious reasons . I know it's long but thank you in advance for responses !! }

If I was you I woukd remark without thinking twice about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Silphon
On each question the A01 / A02 marks were given the same mark as those by the original examiner

How do you know? Re-mark letters just give the old and new overall marks. If his UMS stayed the same he could have gained marks in one place and lost them elsewhere - or sometimes you can gain a raw mark and the UMS does not change.

Original post by Silphon
Days after this news, the post arrived with the copy of his English paper. There was a fundamental error on the first question- for those of you who do E.L.L Edexcel, you should know that the first question is either right or wrong (and it was right and marked wrong)

Without seeing the paper and the marking on it it's impossible to comment.

Original post by Silphon
would like to know if a second appeal would be possible.

It is possible to appeal after an unsuccessful re-mark but it has to be done within 10 or 14 days of the result (can't remember which) and only the head of centre can appeal, not the candidate. The grounds for appeal cannot be that the marking is still wrong - you have to find something else to complain about.
Please hurry up OCR!
Reply 227
Original post by AlexKay99
Did you say the post arrived with a copy of his script? I thought it was an electronic copy sent by email?
Yes it was.. and the school printed this out and posted it :smile:
Reply 228
Original post by Compost
How do you know? Re-mark letters just give the old and new overall marks. If his UMS stayed the same he could have gained marks in one place and lost them elsewhere - or sometimes you can gain a raw mark and the UMS does not change.Without seeing the paper and the marking on it it's impossible to comment. It is possible to appeal after an unsuccessful re-mark but it has to be done within 10 or 14 days of the result (can't remember which) and only the head of centre can appeal, not the candidate. The grounds for appeal cannot be that the marking is still wrong - you have to find something else to complain about.

It wasn´t a remark letter. It was a copy of his paper as a "Script Review" was requested too. Therefore he was given EXACTLY the same marks on each question after re-mark and incorrectly so.

Thank you Compost for your detailed answer. It was very useful. I´m going to thumbs you up :wink:

If my teacher has already discovered that there is a fundamental error, would he be able to use her to "testify" and therefore be granted an additional re-mark?

Thanks again
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Silphon
It wasn´t a remark letter. It was a copy of his paper as a "Script Review" was requested too. Therefore he was given EXACTLY the same marks on each question after re-mark and incorrectly so.

Thank you Compost for your detailed answer. It was very useful. I´m going to thumbs you up :wink:

If my teacher has already discovered that there is a fundamental error, would he be able to use her to "testify" and therefore be granted an additional re-mark?

Thanks again

Yeah, can appeal that if there is as you say a fundamental error.
Remark back, it got put up:biggrin: So relieved, not least because there was 40 quid of my money resting on that.
I got my B so :woo:
Up by 12 UMS, ~10% extra, which I'm rather angry at AQA for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 231
Original post by bananaminion
Remark back, it got put up:biggrin: So relieved, not least because there was 40 quid of my money resting on that.
Still not as much as I was expecting, but I got my B so :woo:

Congrats!
Reply 232
Original post by MW2005
Got my OCR AS history paper back from a remark and it went up by 10 marks - crazy how examiners can get it so wrong!

:eek:
Was this the source paper? I'm thinking of getting it remarked but scared it will go down:frown:
Reply 233
OCR

Outrageous
Cock Up
Ridiculous

Just some of the words I'd use after getting my paper back. Went up by 21 RAW marks which is 42 UMS and the grade changed from a U to an A. Overall, my grade has changed to an A* from a B. If I hadn't have paid to have my paper remarked the injustice doesn't bear thinking about!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 234
Original post by mA*ths
OCR

Outrageous
Cock Up
Ridiculous

Just some of the words I'd use after getting my paper back. Went up by 21 RAW marks which is 42 UMS and the grade changed from a U to an A. Overall, my grade has changed to an A* from a B. If I hadn't have paid to have my paper remarked the injustice doesn't bear thinking about!

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW what subject was this for?
Original post by mA*ths
OCR

Outrageous
Cock Up
Ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

da***

What happened there?
Reply 236
Original post by mA*ths
OCR

Outrageous
Cock Up
Ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

SHOW PICTURE!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 237
FFS I SHOULD OF GOT MY A LEVELS REMARKED. BUT I FINISHED THEM LAST YEAR NEEDED MISSED OFFER BY ONE GRADE. IS IT TOO LATE FOR REMARK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Mine didn't change

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither did mine.
Still 239/300 grr
Original post by qr95
FFS I SHOULD OF GOT MY A LEVELS REMARKED. BUT I FINISHED THEM LAST YEAR NEEDED MISSED OFFER BY ONE GRADE. IS IT TOO LATE FOR REMARK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could always retake them later in life!

Quick Reply