Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Liverpool FC Thread XII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today wasn't a great game but considering preseason is just finished ofc we'll still be rusty. We need to get faster with moving the ball around as well as improving our final touch, so many times the ball wasn't passed properly or the cross was over hit. Lovren had a decent game but overall the defence was still shaky, I'm hoping as time goes on and they play more games the defence should sort itself out especially when Johnson gets his arse on the bench and Moreno starts playing. Mignolet needs to take authority in his box during set pieces and corners, too many times he flaps the ball away or just about bundles the ball away.

Sturridge had a very quiet game bar the goal, but that's due to Soton keeping Coutinho quiet and not allowing him to supply Sturridge, they completely stopped any balls getting to him as well as not giving him space at all. Lucas is **** he did absolutely nothing today, ever since his injury he hasn't been able to regain his old form which is a shame. Sterling did well-1 goal and 1 assist which isn't too bad for a 19 yr old on the first day of the new season, he has come leaps and bounds since last season I'm really excited to see how he progresses this upcoming season.

Anyhow 3 points is still 3 points at the end of the day, so fair play to the boys for grinding out the win especially as Soton played very well today.

I'm expecting next week away to City to be a better game and much more tidy on our part. I'm looking forward to watch City play today and see how well they fare.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else worried we wont sign another striker. And man utd troll sit the **** down you finished 7th and got beat by swansea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Tactically we were abysmal, played too deep and Allen on instead of Can? Really?
    I agree that was an odd substitution even though I thought Allen played fairly well since he came on. The bigger question for me was why did Lucas start? He's hardly been impressive in pre-season. As has been said before a lot of our problems came from midfield and our inability to keep possession which in my opinion was down to Lucas. He was slow and unresponsive, his passing was off giving possession away several times in relatively simple passes. What I think changed in regards to our midfield was that Henderson was more out on the right and further forward than he had been last season. He has a lot to offer in that position as shown by his performance today but with Lucas filling that role behind I think it opened up a massive weakness in centre midfield. We would've done much better with Can or Allen starting in that position. Although I think once Lallana is back Henderson will take Lucas' position and Lallana will slot in on the right where Henderson played today. Giving us that much better control and energy in the centre, with Can filling in for whoever is injured not 100% out of Lallana, Gerrard and Henderson

[Edit] On top of this I think it gives us a massive clue as to where the weak point is in our defence when most of Southampton's dangerous plays came down our left. I can't wait to see Moreno play and displace Johnson fully from this side. I'm sick of him needlessly giving away possession, being out of position and wasting attacking opportunities by taking a long pot shot when a much better pass is on.

Also goes to show how much we need another top striker to come in too. I've got a really bad feeling we could end with nobody again like 2 seasons ago and get in to trouble when Sturridge gets his inevitable niggle
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    3 points is 3 points, would take that in the opening game of the season. Happy about the result too.

Mignolet saved us the points like last season v Stoke. Great save that hit the bar and Long somehow couldn't score. Lucas was not great and I not sure how he got ahead of Can and Allen, both of whom are on the bench.

Great result like I said, hopefully we'll get a striker before the window closes and maybe a back-up GK, but I think BR won't be too disappointed if we miss out on the latter, unlike the former. But BR said he won't spend for the sake of it and I think he'll be happy to get a striker in in Jan if it goes that way.

Moreno, Lallana, Markovic and hopefully a new striker still to be in this team.

On to our next match - Man City at the Ethihad - difficult on paper but we played well there last couple of seasons.

ReputationRep:
    Missed the game since I was out in a forest doing paintballing.

Sounds like we weren't at our best but we picked up a valuable 3 points. I think we'll have more of that this season. Was it obvious that we were missing Suarez' creativity?

I'm assuming Johnson played at LB? Guess he won't be in the side much longer (although also interesting that he started over Enrique).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Swansea didn't have half their squad ripped apart though. Liverpool have been bang average apart from 1 bit of quality from Henderson, you all made fun of our defence yesterday but yours looks equally dire. Difference is we had 3 of our first choice backline injured and will probably add to it, aside from Moreno Liverpool are stuck with this.

Don't worry, i'm sure some dodgy Gerrard penalty will win you the game though.

Honestly think our bench yesterday was better than Liverpool's one today, and that's saying something.
    come on man, bitterness doesn't suit you very well.

i don't disdagree that we were poor, but looking at southampton today it seems that most people (myself included) severely underestimted them.
    they played pretty well and we were lucky to win - their signings seemed to have gelled very well so far.

our defence wasn't even that bad - bertrand had a great game but manquillo held his own for the post part.
    johnson is just johnson but he'll be replaced by moreno very soon.
    lovren and skrtel had absolutely excellent games; couldn't really fault them tbh.
    our defence wasn't bad, just that southampton's attacking threat (particularly creation, not finishing) was fantastic at times.

as the cliche goes, a win in a win.
    arsenal played as bad (if not worse) than us and they still won their game.
    if soton had been more clinical they would've beaten us today.
    you played terribly but you lost your match because swansea took their chances, that's just how it goes i'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Why are they singing Steve Gerrard Gerrard at the City game lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Remy Cabella is pretty lively

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Why are they singing Steve Gerrard Gerrard at the City game lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See here for explanation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    See here for explanation.
    Would make more sense to sing it at Liverpool fans than Newcastle fans...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Would make more sense to sing it at Liverpool fans than Newcastle fans...
    It would, but why not sing it to every fan...

ReputationRep:
    We had a very poor second half. Looked like Southampton were much sharper and further along in their fitness regiments. We looked absolutely knackered about 55 minutes in but hopefully that disappears as the games go on.

Lucas and Glen Johnson stoodout as poor players in an anyway poor team. Thought Manquillo, Henderson and Sterling were our best players. Coutinho kept receiving the ball with his back to goal so couldn't get his head up and run as much and that caused us to be really disjointed between midfield and attack.

In the end, a sub par performance that we were lucky to win. It was stressful but I'll take 37 more of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    It was stressful but I'll take 37 more of those.
    my sanity won't hold out for another 37 more of those.

ReputationRep:
    If you asked me, it's much better than conceding 3 goals, we had Johnson and Lucas starting aswell..

ReputationRep:
    Today was just a poor performance by many of the players but the first game of the season is normally tough for big teams. There are always a lot of changes and playing without Suarez will be hard to adapt to early on. Throw in Moreno and the defence looks solid enough, Lallana and Markovic will increase the number of options as well.
    Coutinho should have come off after 55 minutes because he was just not in the game but there was no one good enough on the bench to come on. Surprisingly Liverpool struggled to create chances but I think that is more lack of sharpness and the fact it is the first game rather than a genuine long term issue. I don't think any team in the league has actually played well yet, nothing to worry about.
    I still think Rodgers needs to sign a top striker (or someone who can player striker) because there will be games when Liverpool are struggling to take the chances and need someone as well as Sturridge who is reliable. Also the team looked to be lacking a bit of energy up top but that again, is probably because it is the first game back, it will get better.
    United lost because the system was poor, the individual players were not good enough and the big players played badly whilst Liverpool won despite some average performances. United's problems are much more long term unless they sign a right back, a centre mid and at least 1 centre back.

ReputationRep:
    Sr90 is so bitter :rofl2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Joint top of the table.

Pretty scared of you guys this season.

City will leave loads of space to run in behind so Sterling, Sturridge and Henderson will have a field day.

ReputationRep:
    I am Obito Uchiha and I am going to become Hokage one day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Joint top of the table.

City will leave loads of space to run in behind so Sterling, Sturridge and Henderson will have a field day.
    Which is why Liverpool tend to have a good time attacking Man City, it's only when they start attacking us that they get us ****ting our pants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Joint top of the table.

As usual I think Arsenal are also a big risk. It all comes down to injury-proneness and if they drop off around Feb/March as per usual. One of these days I'm sure they won't. They absolutely dominated (despite their loss to us) for most of last season.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.