Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lynwoo, do not fear, we ALL have those moments! And thank goodness - much better than being smug! I am a chartered accountant who was working in the city and then had a baby in my 30s, so always wondered what on earth I was doing attempting to get in!
    You are right that some unis do have minimum requirements for work experience - I think Warwick require 70 hours, but yours sounds really good.
    There is no science in UKCAT so don't worry about that, so now you simply have to tackle the gamsat section 3!
    Ps I also used to really worry my work experience wasn't enough - I had a couple of weeks clinical and volunteering as a befriender, plus personal experience. Don't let the work experience put you off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This sounds cliched, but what you've just said has really inspired me and given me the motivation not to give up.

I am focussing on all the negatives parts of my application - I do not have a science degree, I do not have more than a year's work experience, I do not have a job which is in any way related to medicine (working as a TV researcher for ITV), and I've done many different types of jobs and lived abroad - which may be deemed as flighty. I am hoping they will see the 'live experiences' I have had as valuable in dealing with patients and will recognise valuable transferrable skills! (I am hoping!)

Just one last question, from the other people on your course, what advice would you give me, taking into consideration my situation? How can I best increase my chances?

Thank you so so much! x

ReputationRep:
    6 years British Army medical experience
    2:1 Sport Science Loughborough University
    Currently working on a front line emergency ambulance full time
    Approaching the end of an MSc in Trauma Sciences at St Barts med school

If my UKCAT result is sufficient, any ideas if I'll be in with a shot for an interview?

ReputationRep:
    B1525 - If you don't have a chance I have NO glimmer of hope!

Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lynwoo)
    This sounds cliched, but what you've just said has really inspired me and given me the motivation not to give up.

I am focussing on all the negatives parts of my application - I do not have a science degree, I do not have more than a year's work experience, I do not have a job which is in any way related to medicine (working as a TV researcher for ITV), and I've done many different types of jobs and lived abroad - which may be deemed as flighty. I am hoping they will see the 'live experiences' I have had as valuable in dealing with patients and will recognise valuable transferrable skills! (I am hoping!)

Just one last question, from the other people on your course, what advice would you give me, taking into consideration my situation? How can I best increase my chances?

Thank you so so much! x
    Lynwoo, your post is inspirational too! I'm also an arts grad and work full-time in a non-medical field, leaving very little time for work experience. I hope we can all inspire and motivate each other in this thread Your background sounds really intriguing and full of transferable skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laffers78)
    I am a chartered accountant who was working in the city and then had a baby in my 30s, so always wondered what on earth I was doing attempting to get in!
    Huge congrats on the offer It's good to know that other people have doubts not just about their ability to pass the GAMSAT or whatever, but about the broader experience of applying. I guess it sounds silly but I'd sort of imagined that many (if not most) people would have some kind of overwhelming conviction that it's the right thing for them. I sort of feel that, but I'm also extremely conscious of all the "life stuff" that I'd have to think about before clicking the submit button on my application.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks tjaldur, I also have had moments where I wonder if I really want to rearrange my entire life for medicine - I have convinced myself these thoughts are perfectly healthy, it really is no small commitment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think for the next few years we'll be fine, but it most likely will be phased. Places are being cut by a huge amount and many universities are now only taking science grads. I think this all points to the restructuring of the course

ReputationRep:
    I've just found out that Kings will only accept science grads from 2016 onwards...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks tjaldur, I also have had moments where I wonder if I really want to rearrange my entire life for medicine - I have convinced myself these thoughts are perfectly healthy, it really is no small commitment.
    I think I would find it quite strange to go back to a student lifestyle after having a professional job for a few years.

(Original post by ninalouise258)
    Hello everyone,

May I join in on the discussion?

I am applying this October for 2016 entry. I have been preparing for this for a while.

Is anybody else worried about a) changes to funding following the general election and b) GEM courses being changed or phased out (evidence seen at some universities already) due to possible full registration with the GMC when starting Foundation Year 1 and EU law stating that 5 years of study are required for full registration i.e. 4 year accelerated courses would not comply with this.

If everything stays the same then it's a-go. Thoughts?
    Hello! I'm a little worried about this too (I'd originally planned to apply next year so that I'd have longer to prepare, but have now decided to apply this year too just in case there are further changes to eligibility criteria for 2017). Best of luck with your application!

I've just found out that Kings will only accept science grads from 2016 onwards...
    This is a shame. I think we arts & humanities grads have lots to bring to the course.

ReputationRep:
    Tjaldur, that's really nice of you to say! I suppose we all have a tendency to focus on what we don't have, as opposed to what we can offer!

If you are planning on tackling the GAMSAT and want to PM me that would be great...a study buddy might be useful! It's always great to hear other people's perspective on things.

x

ReputationRep:
    Tjaldur, that's really nice of you to say! I suppose we all have a tendency to focus on what we don't have, as opposed to what we can offer!

If you are planning on tackling the GAMSAT and want to PM me that would be great...a study buddy might be useful! It's always great to hear other people's perspective on things.

x
    Aw, thanks I am planning to do the GAMSAT; someone to study with would be fab. I'll pm you (assuming I can figure out how to!).

ReputationRep:
    Wow, your story is really inspirational and i need inspiration now more than ever. I am in my mid-30s and after a career in academia (lecturer in Moral Philosophy) the decision to become a doctor. I have always been interested in the ethical aspects associated with medicine, caring and empathy among others, but it was traumatic events in 2011 which have signed my life forever that have given me the motivation to make the bold step. After losing my mom and my fiancee', writing papers and marking essays was not enough for me. I wanted to help, care, make a more tangible difference to people's lives and medicine is the answer to these wishes. I know how difficult it is, at times I think I have made the wrong decision, studying the sciences is tough, the English educational system with the GCSE and A-Levels is not easy to understand for people coming from foreign educational systems, I miss my country and I am not sure whether the qualities I think I have are the ones medical schools want to see in their doctors. I' d love to have a study-buddy. Hope my low tech skills will be enough to know how to contact one.
    Lynwoo, do not fear, we ALL have those moments! And thank goodness - much better than being smug! I am a chartered accountant who was working in the city and then had a baby in my 30s, so always wondered what on earth I was doing attempting to get in!
    You are right that some unis do have minimum requirements for work experience - I think Warwick require 70 hours, but yours sounds really good.
    There is no science in UKCAT so don't worry about that, so now you simply have to tackle the gamsat section 3!
    Ps I also used to really worry my work experience wasn't enough - I had a couple of weeks clinical and volunteering as a befriender, plus personal experience. Don't let the work experience put you off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanaUS)
    Wow, your story is really inspirational and i need inspiration now more than ever. I am in my mid-30s and after a career in academia (lecturer in Moral Philosophy) the decision to become a doctor. I have always been interested in the ethical aspects associated with medicine, caring and empathy among others, but it was traumatic events in 2011 which have signed my life forever that have given me the motivation to make the bold step. After losing my mom and my fiancee', writing papers and marking essays was not enough for me. I wanted to help, care, make a more tangible difference to people's lives and medicine is the answer to these wishes. I know how difficult it is, at times I think I have made the wrong decision, studying the sciences is tough, the English educational system with the GCSE and A-Levels is not easy to understand for people coming from foreign educational systems, I miss my country and I am not sure whether the qualities I think I have are the ones medical schools want to see in their doctors. I' d love to have a study-buddy. Hope my low tech skills will be enough to know how to contact one.
    So sorry to hear of your loss. I can identify with some of the things you mention, as I'm also considering a move from academia to medicine. It sounds like you have some great experiences and knowledge to feed into your application though. More than happy to be a 'study buddy' if you're still looking

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

It sounds like a great bunch of people on here.

I am asking for a big favour and would really appreciate some help. I have been doing a lot research on GEM so much so that I'm struggling concentrate on work. I have looked a lot at the entry requirements but don't know what really gets into GEM courses in real life.

Can I list my qualifications and if someone could please let me know if they think I might be suitable, so I can even give up now or not..

GCSEs 8A*s 2As
    A levels 4A's (Maths, Physics Biology, Chemistry)
    1st Optometry (BSc)

I have one year working as an optometrist with 15 days observing at the hospital eye clinic and will hopefully soon get a paid half a day a week seeing patient's at the hospital. I will get a week in a geriatric clinic. I've done charity collections over weekends, head boy at school, worked as a lifeguard and baker over summers. I seem to be lacking in this type of experience.

Please help. If I have posted this in the wrong place let me know and I will delete.
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone feel about this promise from Miliband to cut fees to 6000£ by 2016 entry? If this goes ahead, then funding cuts from the nhs for tuition will mean that we are not affected I presume? Though I guess if the nhs do cut funding, we won't be eligible for maintenance in our 2-4th year.

I am so scared about the funding situation and anticipating it so much!!

I'm also worried about the Kings change! I am graduating in July with Bsc in Psychology, and it's pretty much pure scientific biology, are they taking any Bsc or is it only life sciences?

As a student with no science A levels and not "science" degree, and wanting to only so UKCAT first time applying, I'm pretty limited

Gah help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini123456)
    Hello everyone,

It sounds like a great bunch of people on here.

I am asking for a big favour and would really appreciate some help. I have been doing a lot research on GEM so much so that I'm struggling concentrate on work. I have looked a lot at the entry requirements but don't know what really gets into GEM courses in real life.

Can I list my qualifications and if someone could please let me know if they think I might be suitable, so I can even give up now or not..

GCSEs 8A*s 2As
    A levels 4A's (Maths, Physics Biology, Chemistry)
    1st Optometry (BSc)

I have one year working as an optometrist with 15 days observing at the hospital eye clinic and will hopefully soon get a paid half a day a week seeing patient's at the hospital. I will get a week in a geriatric clinic. I've done charity collections over weekends, head boy at school, worked as a lifeguard and baker over summers. I seem to be lacking in this type of experience.

Please help. If I have posted this in the wrong place let me know and I will delete.
    Thanks in advance.
    It sounds like you'll be in a strong position if you do well at UKCAT/GAMSAT. I'm only a first time applicant though, so I don't really have any experience or insight to offer other than what I've read on the various universities' websites. I was having similar thoughts to you though, so have booked to go to an open day to find out more. If it's something you really want, why not give it a go? Good luck!

(Original post by tw781)
    How does everyone feel about this promise from Miliband to cut fees to 6000£ by 2016 entry? If this goes ahead, then funding cuts from the nhs for tuition will mean that we are not affected I presume? Though I guess if the nhs do cut funding, we won't be eligible for maintenance in our 2-4th year.

I am so scared about the funding situation and anticipating it so much!!

I'm also worried about the Kings change! I am graduating in July with Bsc in Psychology, and it's pretty much pure scientific biology, are they taking any Bsc or is it only life sciences?

As a student with no science A levels and not "science" degree, and wanting to only so UKCAT first time applying, I'm pretty limited

Gah help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hard to say. My approach at the moment is not to worry about things I can't change and just do what I can to enhance my application (after all, tuition fees don't matter much if I don't get in). Would a difference in the fees situation have a big impact on your decision to apply? Re. the Kings thing -- try giving them a ring and asking? (I can't really offer any further advice on this one -- my degree is most definitely in an arts subject!) Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjaldur)
    It sounds like you'll be in a strong position if you do well at UKCAT/GAMSAT. I'm only a first time applicant though, so I don't really have any experience or insight to offer other than what I've read on the various universities' websites. I was having similar thoughts to you though, so have booked to go to an open day to find out more. If it's something you really want, why not give it a go? Good luck!

Hard to say. My approach at the moment is not to worry about things I can't change and just do what I can to enhance my application (after all, tuition fees don't matter much if I don't get in). Would a difference in the fees situation have a big impact on your decision to apply? Re. the Kings thing -- try giving them a ring and asking? (I can't really offer any further advice on this one -- my degree is most definitely in an arts subject!) Good luck!
    Yes as I won't be able to fund it myself and have money for living costs!
    I've emailed kings, hoping they say my degree is fine!

Where do you plan to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guy[SIZE=3]s,

Can anyone give me some advice??

I have decent GCSES, mostly As? 3 Bs but my A- levels arent that great got BBD :/ in chem, history and physics. Got A in AS R.E and B in Bio
    Currently studying Biomed hopefully going to get a 1st

Do you think my A LEVELS will put me down alot?

My work experience is better but A-levels are poor!!!!!

5 weeks shadowing doctor in Nepal
    4 years work in KFC
    6 months with patients in NHS
    2 years almost volunteering with elderly
    STEM volunteer just started
    done a few other short term volunteer stuff

Trying to find a better job maybe as a carer but no luck yet

Cheer guys

Any unis which dont really consider A levels alot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Msadiq)
    4 years work in KFC
    :lolwut: Don't put that on your application.

Few consider A levels, those that do state it on their website. None rank you based on A levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.