Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody and congratulations to those who got an interview! The best of luck!!
    I am thinking about waiting a few days before scheduling an interview for imperial, because I might hear from my other universities soon (Kings, Barts) and I want to schedule the interviews together so I don't have to make lots of flights. I have already one for St George's on the 16th of December and air tickets cost a lot!!!
    I preferably want to schedule an interview for the end of January. Should I wait a few days or book it ASAP????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Papanikolaou)
    Hello everybody and congratulations to those who got an interview! The best of luck!!
    I am thinking about waiting a few days before scheduling an interview for imperial, because I might hear from my other universities soon (Kings, Barts) and I want to schedule the interviews together so I don't have to make lots of flights. I have already one for St George's on the 16th of December and air tickets cost a lot!!!
    I preferably want to schedule an interview for the end of January. Should I wait a few days or book it ASAP????

Dude I would book ASAP because all the January dates and times are taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samriddha)
    I like the eagerness and earliness with which this thread has been created. I'm going to go into my second year of Medicine at Imperial this year, feel free to ask me anything you want!
    Hey.. I'm actually from India and I'm giving UKCAT. I was initially planning on giving BMAT too but then I saw the age requirements for UCL, Imperial college of London and Oxbridge and all of these required me to be 18 by October which is when the course starts. I checked the other requirements and it said that if I had English as my first language , which I do, I didn't need to sit for any English Language tests. Our last year of high school is the 12th grade and I'm in the 11th grade now. I need to score above 85% or so in my 12th grade to get it. But here, in India, we are all 17 during the 12th grade and we turn 18 during the first year of uni. I will turn 18 in november, just a month after their required month. Can I still apply ? All the other requirements I will have met by then. It would be great help if you could enquire about the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by santabanta554)
    In the video they sent us, it said 2 weeks or 3 working days I believe.
    Just saying, but there is a large discrepancy between the two times

ReputationRep:
    Dude I would book ASAP because all the January dates and times are taken.
    Okay thanks! Worst case scenario for me is to get an interview in December, as it is a busy (school-wise) month for me and I already have an interview at St Georges. Which months can we chose from? And surely booking a late interview won't put me in a disadvantage, no? Not that I want to but I'd rather have one in February-March than December, if January is unavailable.

ReputationRep:
    Which video is this, and how do i find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zain135)
    Which video is this, and how do i find it?
    They had sent us an email with a so-called "applicant timeline"
    The videos are in the presentation on this link: http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/...ne/admissions/

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks! Worst case scenario for me is to get an interview in December, as it is a busy (school-wise) month for me and I already have an interview at St Georges. Which months can we chose from? And surely booking a late interview won't put me in a disadvantage, no? Not that I want to but I'd rather have one in February-March than December, if January is unavailable.
    All the December times and January times are taken up and some Feb times. I would suggest just following the link given to you in the email and looking at the dates yourself and then deciding.

I hope later interviews don't disadvantage us - but logically it doesn't make sense to give preference to earlier interviews if choosing dates is just a free-for-all.

ReputationRep:
    All the December times and January times are taken up and some Feb times. I would suggest just following the link given to you in the email and looking at the dates yourself and then deciding.

I hope later interviews don't disadvantage us - but logically it doesn't make sense to give preference to earlier interviews if choosing dates is just a free-for-all.
    I havnt got an interview yet but im just saying...

I was thinking abt it and they say that offers are handed out within 14 days of ur interview and that there are a limited number of spaces. This means that earlier interviews would mean earlier offers which would mean fewer offers left to those later on. Thats wt i was thinking and i find it quite hard to dissuade myself now lol...

If i was to get an interview, i would ask them this stating the 14 days within offer business (i double checked the 14 days btw yesturday and they said it is 14 days) and see what they have to say.

Gd luck with ur interviews!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanishqa)
    Hey.. I'm actually from India and I'm giving UKCAT. I was initially planning on giving BMAT too but then I saw the age requirements for UCL, Imperial college of London and Oxbridge and all of these required me to be 18 by October which is when the course starts. I checked the other requirements and it said that if I had English as my first language , which I do, I didn't need to sit for any English Language tests. Our last year of high school is the 12th grade and I'm in the 11th grade now. I need to score above 85% or so in my 12th grade to get it. But here, in India, we are all 17 during the 12th grade and we turn 18 during the first year of uni. I will turn 18 in november, just a month after their required month. Can I still apply ? All the other requirements I will have met by then. It would be great help if you could enquire about the same.
    Yes i'm sure you can still apply. I was in the same situation and my school had the same requirements and they will accept you still. Its not a hard and fast rule and of course if they stuck by it it would be discriminating against those who are born from September-December since people in your year born in May will be 18 by the start of classes but you won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okorange)
    Yes i'm sure you can still apply. I was in the same situation and my school had the same requirements and they will accept you still. Its not a hard and fast rule and of course if they stuck by it it would be discriminating against those who are born from September-December since people in your year born in May will be 18 by the start of classes but you won't.
    Oh my gosh. You just made my day. You're sure about this right ? So I can apply to UCL and Imperial too ! Better start preparing for BMAT then ! *does the happy dance*

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh. You just made my day. You're sure about this right ? So I can apply to UCL and Imperial too ! Better start preparing for BMAT then ! *does the happy dance*
    I didn't apply to UCL or Imperial but other medical schools with the same age requirement. Of course its best to ask them individually but it just doesn't make sense they will disqualify you over 1 month, it would be age discrimination. At my school we didn't even see our first real patient until 2nd year and some people didn't get all their shots and vaccinations until 2nd year as well so you'll most probably be 18 by the time you see your first patient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master219)
    I havnt got an interview yet but im just saying...

I was thinking abt it and they say that offers are handed out within 14 days of ur interview and that there are a limited number of spaces. This means that earlier interviews would mean earlier offers which would mean fewer offers left to those later on. Thats wt i was thinking and i find it quite hard to dissuade myself now lol...

If i was to get an interview, i would ask them this stating the 14 days within offer business (i double checked the 14 days btw yesturday and they said it is 14 days) and see what they have to say.

Gd luck with ur interviews!!
    I don't think it works this way. Let me explain:
    I believe that they give offers analogously and in proportions. For such important decisions they can't simply give offers by simply saying "I liked that one, give him an offer". What I suppose they are doing is working in ratios. For example, out of the first 100 candidates they interview, they will decide to give 70 interviews. Same goes for the next batch, and the next one. I don't believe that for the first 100 they give, say, 90 offers, and for the next 100 they give 50 offers. Hence, I believe that it is a competition among those who get interviews over the same period. This way, candidates with late interviews are treated equally with those interviewed first.

That's just my opinion though. Good luck with the rest of your applications and with imperial's next batch!!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't apply to UCL or Imperial but other medical schools with the same age requirement. Of course its best to ask them individually but it just doesn't make sense they will disqualify you over 1 month, it would be age discrimination. At my school we didn't even see our first real patient until 2nd year and some people didn't get all their shots and vaccinations until 2nd year as well so you'll most probably be 18 by the time you see your first patient.
    Damn. Then I don't think I can still apply to those since I had dropped in an email earlier this year to both of these universities but they said that there will be no exceptions made to the age requirements. :'(

ReputationRep:
    Damn. Then I don't think I can still apply to those since I had dropped in an email earlier this year to both of these universities but they said that there will be no exceptions made to the age requirements. :'(
    Oh, sorry to hear that, sounds really unusual did you really specifically outline that you would be turning 18 in November?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry to hear that, sounds really unusual did you really specifically outline that you would be turning 18 in November?
    Yes that is true. I was at the Imperial open day and if you turn 18 even a day after the course starts, you cant apply for that specific year. This is because you may have to have clinical contact on your first days of the course.

You can either apply the year after or apply for a deferred entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it works this way. Let me explain:
    I believe that they give offers analogously and in proportions. For such important decisions they can't simply give offers by simply saying "I liked that one, give him an offer". What I suppose they are doing is working in ratios. For example, out of the first 100 candidates they interview, they will decide to give 70 interviews. Same goes for the next batch, and the next one. I don't believe that for the first 100 they give, say, 90 offers, and for the next 100 they give 50 offers. Hence, I believe that it is a competition among those who get interviews over the same period. This way, candidates with late interviews are treated equally with those interviewed first.

That's just my opinion though. Good luck with the rest of your applications and with imperial's next batch!!
    I really doubt this is the case, as it would be unfair, maybe the first 100 interviewees happen to be extremely intelligent and impress at their interview and for the next 100 interviewees only 50 impress at their interview, how would it be fair to reject few of the first batch although they were better than the next batch,.. I think how its done is that if they like the interviewee they accept him/her and if they don't, they reject them.. and this goes on until they interview those who have already been invited and if they have more spaces that need to be filled up (which they most likely will) , they will start inviting people with lower BMAT scores (i.e. those who made the cut off for sections 1 and 2, and got 2.5A/B in section 3) and keep inviting these until places fill up ...

and so, I think having a later interview won't be a disadvantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nnuunnuu)
    I really doubt this is the case, as it would be unfair, maybe the first 100 interviewees happen to be extremely intelligent and impress at their interview and for the next 100 interviewees only 50 impress at their interview, how would it be fair to reject few of the first batch although they were better than the next batch,.. I think how its done is that if they like the interviewee they accept him/her and if they don't, they reject them.. and this goes on until they interview those who have already been invited and if they have more spaces that need to be filled up (which they most likely will) , they will start inviting people with lower BMAT scores (i.e. those who made the cut off for sections 1 and 2, and got 2.5A/B in section 3) and keep inviting these until places fill up ...

but the thing is they've already started inviting people with low(er) BMAT scores, like 4.6s etc. so are they not using the band system to invite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishysmile)
    but the thing is they've already started inviting people with low(er) BMAT scores, like 4.6s etc. so are they not using the band system to invite?
    I'm thinking of ringing them up to ask about whether or not they're using bands this year but I don't want to annoy them?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nnuunnuu)

The system I proposed most likely works if the university is strict on the number of offers they make. This was an assumption I made. If not, what you said may be what actually happens. However in this case, the problem is that theoretically, the university may give offers to 450/450 interviewed first. This of course won't happen, but I'm just giving an extreme example of how an imbalance might occur. I also assumed that since this year they don't seem to be working with bands of priority, but just let the interviewees decide the date, then perhaps they might be expecting candidates with strong BMATs at any time to be interviewed. If they worked with bands of priority, then they would normally give more offers to those interviewed first, as they would have scored the best.
    Anyhow, I believe -and want to believe- that they consider each candidate equally, consciously or not.
    My knowledge of how the system works is limited so what I'm saying is just speculations which may be based on false assumptions, so it might just work the way you said! Good luck with your applications!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.