shooks
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
What do you win for first place?
We'll double the rep points the winner received in November.
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think people have already said it, but this is just going to cause more spammy posts in my opinion with the current rep system.

This is probably a sign that a serious change to the system is needed.
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 4 years ago
Rep isn't (meant to be) a competition. I thought that was one of the reasons the old system(s) were abolished/amended. The only thing this is going to encourage, outside of the education forums, is "funny" spam, rep-whoring, and more dupes to get around rep restrictions (you already get them, you will get more, and you won't find them all).

Please don't make rep into more of a popularity contest than it already is. Reward people who actually make decent contributions to the site, popular or otherwise.

Rep isn't and never has been a valid metric of the quality of a particular post.
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think people are looking at it too narrowly. Yes, we should award those who get involved in helping, but TheStudentRoom, regardless of 'student' is not solely an educational forum. It is a forum for students, but involves everything, such as sports, arts, religion, studies and, yes, chat. If we are going to be selective and state that only rep in certain forums should count, then that would be fine if that were actually a good system. In the education-oriented threads I have seen people accumulate rep from jokes or sarcastic replies, same as elsewhere. The fact is that many people come on here to link with their peers, not to ask for help for a maths question, and I think TSR should continue to acknowledge that.

Also, why do people say that rep should only be awarded to those in certain forums, then say that the rep system is broken and that it means nothing. Why do they care who gets rep in that case?
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by shooks)
Lots of thoughts here - thanks for taking the time to post about this competition. Particularly interested in the idea of limiting the rep count to study help/educational forums - that could be something we try after this month.
What about some of the debate forums? You get some good quality posts there, more than in chat.
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by secretmessages)
Rep isn't and never has been a valid metric of the quality of a particular post.
Couldn't be more true.

I feel that posters like Gofre in tech have some incredibly useful posts, yet at most he'll get a couple of reps for one of his posts.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lots of thoughts here - thanks for taking the time to post about this competition. Particularly interested in the idea of limiting the rep count to study help/educational forums - that could be something we try after this month.
Yeah that's a good idea, although to start with I'd just take chat out.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jenhasdreams)
Chlorophile, repped 302 times (so you were super close!)
Is there a table somewhere?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is such a bad idea :nope:
spanker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't think I have ever been repped for being helpful.
All mine are from witty "funny" comments.
AzY-
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i disagree with that suggestion i think it would create a lot of backlash restricting repping to certain forums.

i think a better way to go would be to make all reps = 1 rep, that way a rep from helping a new person is equal to a rep from helping a more established user.

this way it also pays of if you have been helping for longer as it will take longer to amass a bigger rep bar
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I remember when there used to be a thread on the top posters. When I got to third place I took a temp ban to try to lower myself on the ranks
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tillybop)
I remember when there used to be a thread on the top posters. When I got to third place I took a temp ban to try to lower myself on the ranks
I imagine that recently I'd be up there lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Meh - rep is not a reliable indication of a useful post.

I got a whole heap of it for a really cheap and lousy post in a thread called "who was thr worst Prime Minister" by just posting "Thatcher".

I'd bet that there were a load of other more useful posts in the forum which went totally unoticed.
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Andy98)
I imagine that recently I'd be up there lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
'Recently' You have been absolutely ripping up Chat and Forum Games for a while now...
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
Meh - rep is not a reliable indication of a useful post.

I got a whole heap of it for a really cheap and lousy post in a thread called "who was thr worst Prime Minister" by just posting "Thatcher".

I'd bet that there were a load of other more useful posts in the forum which went totally unoticed.
Yeah I've noticed that most of the posts in the welcome lounge and study help don't get repped. It's just the silly ones in chat

Posted from TSR Mobile
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tillybop)
I know someone else who did that. and when he returned he was still somewhere in the top ten.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
'Recently' You have been absolutely ripping up Chat and Forum Games for a while now...
Hahaha yeahhhh

I do a fair bit in the welcome lounge and study help too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
What about some of the debate forums? You get some good quality posts there, more than in chat.
Rep in D&CA is all about timing, not quality.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Congrats to the top 10 .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads