Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If someone offered you a £250k or a first class Oxbridge degree? Watch

• View Poll Results: £250k or Oxbridge degree
    Money
    48.77%
    Degree
    37.52%
    Money - this is TSR, everyone already goes to Oxbridge?!
    13.71%

ReputationRep:
    I'd just take the money and continue on my current university course.
    Getting a degree is worth nothing if you can't live up to it - it would just be a piece of paper. Persay you're recruited and work for ... I don't know, some huge amazing super science multinational great rainbow company of the world with billions of euros of funding or whatever. When they introduce you to a piece of equipment and you don't know how to operate it, or, you can never arrive at a solution for a problem or a innovation and overall you make no output because it is far too complicated for you ... then hey, you'll probably be fired eventually. This will just kind'a repeat itself until you get a reputation. Then, no more jobs.
    It's just a piece of paper to certify that you know something, which if you do not know said stuff, is worth null.

That's my take on it, atleast. So, yay, money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    But you didn't work for it or achieve anything, you were just given a piece of paper.

People seems rather keen on answering different questions to the one OP asked.
    Oh, my bad. I was under the impression that you would go to one of those universities and at the end of your degree, have a first.

I'm changing my mind, I'll take the money and invest most of it and not go to university at all. My yacht will make me happy instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Honestly think International students going to Oxbridge are getting ripped off to a major scale.

Just go to your best university in your country instead or attempt to become a UK citizen first before going to oxbridge.
    The funny thing is i am a UK citizen and i have been one since i was born but im still considered international because i lived abroad

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I'm not an obsessive prestige seeker with class anxieties, I'll choose the money thank you. And anyone who thinks any random Oxbridge degree is a magic passport needs a firm slap and a dose of reality

ReputationRep:
    One of the trademark AG threads I miss those days

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge degree without contacts / experience is not worth 250k

I'd travel the world until it ran out

Then i'd buy a revolver and shoot myself
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    One of the trademark AG threads I miss those days
    I swear the city/IB is always a theme brought up in one of your threads.

To the person who said MDs aren't on >£1m, lolz. Also avg. partner comp at GS is in the £3-4m range. That Kunal guy making MD in record time not only shows that a) he's making a shed load for the firm but b) he is a natural at what he does. It's very rare to skip levels in any department other than trading.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)

To the person who said MDs aren't on >£1m, lolz. Also avg. partner comp at GS is in the £3-4m range. That Kunal guy making MD in record time not only shows that a) he's making a shed load for the firm but b) he is a natural at what he does. It's very rare to skip levels in any department other than trading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yay so most of what I said was right

ReputationRep:
    I'd take the first class Oxbridge degree, because getting a 2:1 in my actual Oxbridge degree has irritated me for a couple of years now.

(Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob)
    Oxbridge degree without contacts / experience is not worth 250k
    To be honest, people who claim contacts are key to everything are full of ****.

Even an ordinary Oxbridge degree gets you into most interview rooms if you have some decent extra curriculars and you're vaguely competent at filling in application forms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He made partner in record time as well. But that was back in the years of prop trading! I doubt that someone can become a md that quickly anymore

ReputationRep:
    The money. Without a doubt. An Oxbridge degree means absolutely squat in my line of work.

Meh the money

Tbh I keep feeling like Oxbridge degrees don't mean that much if you want to go far into scientific research. They're amazing to have if you change your mind and want to do something else instead

ReputationRep:
    Depends what the degree is in

if it was something like Engineering or Computer Science, (maybe Maths or Physics) I would take the degree but also want to do the lectures and assignments as whats the point in having a degree from oxbridge without any of the skillsfrom the degree? But being guarenteed a first would be nice :P

However, for most other degrees i would take the money and buy a house or a few flats to rent out.

ReputationRep:
    The money no questions about it. Think about it; pick up a 2/3 bedroom terraced house for about 70k and spend 30k converting it into 5/6 bedroom house which increases the market value to about 180k. Then instead of selling, get a buy to let mortgage on the house at 70/30 giving me 140k (40k profit) and profit from rent every month.
    Repeat the process and quite quickly you'd have a property portfolio worth way over a million that's regularly bringing in a very high income but also having a huge amount of capital to repeat the process.
    Obviously it may not always plan out this way but still....daaaaamn
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Definitely take the money. I already have a first class degree and a masters with distinction so an Oxbridge degree wouldn't really benefit me much.

ReputationRep:
    I want dat Shmoney *cardi b voice*

ReputationRep:
    Depends what the degree is in tbh. I don't want a First in Classics more than I want 250k right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Meh the money

Tbh I keep feeling like Oxbridge degrees don't mean that much if you want to go far into scientific research. They're amazing to have if you change your mind and want to do something else instead
    I work in clinical research regulation and I rarely see an Oxbridge CV. Definitely not needed even for millions of pounds of Wellcome Trust/NIHR funding!

(Original post by infairverona)
    I work in clinical research regulation and I rarely see an Oxbridge CV. Definitely not needed even for millions of pounds of Wellcome Trust/NIHR funding!
    Indeed. So many of the science fellows at Oxbridge seem non-Oxbridge graduates themselves!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Money. I can still get a very good job without going to Oxford.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.