The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Seeing as I'm not an obsessive prestige seeker with class anxieties, I'll choose the money thank you. And anyone who thinks any random Oxbridge degree is a magic passport needs a firm slap and a dose of reality
One of the trademark AG threads :frown: I miss those days
Oxbridge degree without contacts / experience is not worth 250k

I'd travel the world until it ran out

Then i'd buy a revolver and shoot myself
Original post by Awesome Genius
One of the trademark AG threads :frown: I miss those days

I swear the city/IB is always a theme brought up in one of your threads.

To the person who said MDs aren't on >£1m, lolz. Also avg. partner comp at GS is in the £3-4m range. That Kunal guy making MD in record time not only shows that a) he's making a shed load for the firm but b) he is a natural at what he does. It's very rare to skip levels in any department other than trading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

To the person who said MDs aren't on >£1m, lolz. Also avg. partner comp at GS is in the £3-4m range. That Kunal guy making MD in record time not only shows that a) he's making a shed load for the firm but b) he is a natural at what he does. It's very rare to skip levels in any department other than trading.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay so most of what I said was right :biggrin:
I'd take the first class Oxbridge degree, because getting a 2:1 in my actual Oxbridge degree has irritated me for a couple of years now.

Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Oxbridge degree without contacts / experience is not worth 250k

To be honest, people who claim contacts are key to everything are full of ****.

Even an ordinary Oxbridge degree gets you into most interview rooms if you have some decent extra curriculars and you're vaguely competent at filling in application forms.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

He made partner in record time as well. But that was back in the years of prop trading! I doubt that someone can become a md that quickly anymore
The money. Without a doubt. An Oxbridge degree means absolutely squat in my line of work.
Meh the money

Tbh I keep feeling like Oxbridge degrees don't mean that much if you want to go far into scientific research. They're amazing to have if you change your mind and want to do something else instead
Depends what the degree is in

if it was something like Engineering or Computer Science, (maybe Maths or Physics) I would take the degree but also want to do the lectures and assignments as whats the point in having a degree from oxbridge without any of the skillsfrom the degree? But being guarenteed a first would be nice :P

However, for most other degrees i would take the money and buy a house or a few flats to rent out.
The money no questions about it. Think about it; pick up a 2/3 bedroom terraced house for about 70k and spend 30k converting it into 5/6 bedroom house which increases the market value to about 180k. Then instead of selling, get a buy to let mortgage on the house at 70/30 giving me 140k (40k profit) and profit from rent every month.
Repeat the process and quite quickly you'd have a property portfolio worth way over a million that's regularly bringing in a very high income but also having a huge amount of capital to repeat the process.
Obviously it may not always plan out this way but still....daaaaamn
Definitely take the money. I already have a first class degree and a masters with distinction so an Oxbridge degree wouldn't really benefit me much.
I want dat Shmoney *cardi b voice*
Depends what the degree is in tbh. I don't want a First in Classics more than I want 250k right now.
Original post by Serine Soul
Meh the money

Tbh I keep feeling like Oxbridge degrees don't mean that much if you want to go far into scientific research. They're amazing to have if you change your mind and want to do something else instead

I work in clinical research regulation and I rarely see an Oxbridge CV. Definitely not needed even for millions of pounds of Wellcome Trust/NIHR funding!
Original post by infairverona
I work in clinical research regulation and I rarely see an Oxbridge CV. Definitely not needed even for millions of pounds of Wellcome Trust/NIHR funding!

Indeed. So many of the science fellows at Oxbridge seem non-Oxbridge graduates themselves!
Money. I can still get a very good job without going to Oxford.
What's the point of a degree for free?

So you can get into investment banking? And once you're there, people will realise you're nowhere near as smart as you should be, and you will languish in your career or get fired.

So you can pursue your dream PhD? Until you and everyone else realises that you don't have the brain for it with your fake degree.
You must be a ignorant ****rd to pick the degree to a £250k check, especially in the century we live in with it's abundant entrepreneurial opportunities
Money hands down; I'd imagine its easier to get into Oxbridge for certain courses than to get 250K

Latest