Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being told to smile or "cheer up luv" on the street by men Watch

ReputationRep:
    Stay miserable, luv!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by молодой гений)
    Yeah, but there's a difference between a friend or relative saying it kindly when you're having a hard time, and some random middle-aged builder yelling it at you from across the street.

what about if an old lady says it?

ReputationRep:
    I like being told to cheer up. Good to stay happy, we're healthy first world citizens ultimately..,

ReputationRep:
    If it's happening a lot.... maybe you should... I dunno... cheer up a bit?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't realise so many men say this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louieee)
    what about if an old lady says it?
    I would still find it patronising, but at least it's not intimidating.

It's all relative. Like, in a club one time, a girl who was drunk out of her mind complimented me on my arse and asked if she could touch my hair. I wasn't scared. If a 6'2 guy who was over 25 did that, I'd be scared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    If it's happening a lot.... maybe you should... I dunno... cheer up a bit?
    Do you walk around grinning all the time?

The first time it ever happened to me, I was nine, and was going out to distract myself because my parents were screaming at each other in the living room. Like. Ok, thanks, random man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by молодой гений)
    Do you walk around grinning all the time?

The first time it ever happened to me, I was nine, and was going out to distract myself because my parents were screaming at each other in the living room. Like. Ok, thanks, random man.
    I think my face is generally neutral. Helps avoid wrinkles.

Actually, the main time this happens to me is when i've drunk too much alcohol, because the dehydration makes my face look sad like this:

There's your answer: Drink more water.

ReputationRep:
    1. Let's not go full American and say this harassment or anything of that sort;
    2. As a man it only happened to me once while on the Tube at eight o'clock having left my job five minutes before that.

ReputationRep:
    You should look at this pretty cool project that a woman started in the US which is really taking off now - it's called Stop Telling Women to Smile. It's just sketches of women pasted up in public places with the things they've had said to them, which all women have probably had at one point or another. Being told how to feel and appear by men you don't know in public is a perfect example of street harassment and shows how sexist our societies are. I wish there was a project like this happening in the UK or in Spain (where I live), because street harassment is just ridiculous in both these countries, and has become dangerous for me personally numerous times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    Ever attempted to make a pterodactyl screech at guys who do that? Lemme know how that goes
    you are a very cool guy :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aterax)
    You should look at this pretty cool project that a woman started in the US which is really taking off now - it's called Stop Telling Women to Smile. It's just sketches of women pasted up in public places with the things they've had said to them, which all women have probably had at one point or another. Being told how to feel and appear by men you don't know in public is a perfect example of street harassment and shows how sexist our societies are. I wish there was a project like this happening in the UK or in Spain (where I live), because street harassment is just ridiculous in both these countries, and has become dangerous for me personally numerous times.
    How is 'cheer up luv' harassment or any way, manner, or form sexist?

How was it dangerous to you?

ReputationRep:
    It's awful when people say that. I've heard it a lot. Like excuse me for not beaming when walking through scabby towns with the stench of **** everywhere coming from the likes of the people who usually say such things. Vile.

Ugh. Happens all the time. My worst comment was 'It can't be that bad, can it??'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aterax)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aX9mlipiY

ReputationRep:
    Constantly! Its a symptom of having a 'resting ***** face' haha. Its extremely irritating anyway after a while, I'm not inclined to smile and look happy for the benefit of others. God forbid a woman walking somewhere with a natural expression on her face.. Most the time when people say it I'm usually pretty happy and their comment just pisses me off haha. There is a difference between a genuine question of 'Are you okay?' and being actually concerned for someones well being and being told to 'give us a smile love'. No I won't give you a smile, apologies that I don't spend all my time concerned that my face will offend you.

ReputationRep:
    Telling someone to smile is really stupid. Drawing attention to the fact that a friend looks down is fine, but telling anyone to just smile is really callous.

ReputationRep:
    Never had it happen to me, but if anyone did say that they'd get "I just found out that my mother's got inoperable pancreatic cancer" as a reply, just to see their face drop. I'd then tell them to cheer up

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow..Great video, though I can't help but wonder if that only happens to model-looking types like him? Maybe now guys can stop saying how it's "a compliment".

ReputationRep:
    It's happened to me, especially during exam week and it made me smile and relax for a bit, I personally never took it the wrong as I probably won't see those guys again, but of course each person's situations are different.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.