Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear Watch

chocolate hottie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Veggiechic6)
So what if he did, he's an innocent victim! If someone punched me and everyone thought the world of that person, I'd do my utmost to expose him to the world for the thug that he is!
A man would have hit him back rather than sneaking off to the press.

He is a little BBC talentless nobody who couldn't even do what he was paid for. Provide a proper meal for the talent after a hard day's filming then a night down the pub.

"Oooh, look at me, I am going to go off to AandE even though I just have a split lip to make it look really bad. My name 's Oisin you will soon know all about me, I am going to be really famous!"

Pathetic little worm.
Veggiechic6
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chocolate hottie)

He is a little BBC talentless nobody who couldn't even do what he was paid for. Provide a proper meal for the talent after a hard day's filming then a night down the pub.

"Oooh, look at me, I am going to go off to AandE even though I just have a split lip to make it look really bad. My name 's Oisin you will soon know all about me, I am going to be really famous!"

Pathetic little worm.
lol you've got problems mate. You're talking as though you know Oisin personally. This attack was unprovoked over a ridiculous non-issue of a hot dinner and Jeremy acted like a brat who didn't get his own way. Oisin had every right to go to the press and expose Jeremy to the world as a thug. If you can't see it like that, I don't want to waste any more time talking to someone who defends such behaviour and blames the victim.
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's no room for bullies in the workplace no matter how famous you are, it's that simple. Punch a colleague = gross misconduct, no ifs no buts. The licence fee payers have no say in BBC workplace policies or the laws regarding assault and thus have no say in whether he should remain in post and/or be prosecuted.
chocolate hottie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Veggiechic6)
lol you've got problems mate. You're talking as though you know Oisin personally. This attack was unprovoked over a ridiculous non-issue of a hot dinner and Jeremy acted like a brat who didn't get his own way. Oisin had every right to go to the press and expose Jeremy to the world as a thug. If you can't see it like that, I don't want to waste any more time talking to someone who defends such behaviour and blames the victim.
Ask yourself this, would Jeremy have punched a guy who didn't deserve it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzu2ObrYzc

"Piers Morgan has a face you could punch all day."

Great line!
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ask yourself this, would Jeremy have punched a guy who didn't deserve it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzu2ObrYzc

"Piers Morgan has a face you could punch all day."

Great line!
The thing is, and this might be news to you, it is generally accepted that you shouldn't just go around punching people.
a96clark
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Top Gear was an epic programme, but if you punch your boss, you get fired. Not a difficult decision
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmmm I think they could've suspended him for half a series, forcing the other two to present with a guest. Then let him back on. It wasn't necessary to go the full 9 yards
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
Hmmm I think they could've suspended him for half a series, forcing the other two to present with a guest. Then let him back on. It wasn't necessary to go the full 9 yards
If you hit your colleague and put him in hospital, would you seriously try and argue that you should just be sent home for a month or so and then let back into work?

You'd be laughed out of the disciplinary meeting.
Smileyface97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is sad that he has to leave but from what I've heard has happened I believe it was a fair decision.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
If you hit your colleague and put him in hospital, would you seriously try and argue that you should just be sent home for a month or so and then let back into work?

Not defending him, but how do other entertainers - footballers spring to mind - have publicly video recorded bustups but get nothing more than a fine or suspension?
I think the victim should have some say in the punishment and from everything I've heard he wanted to forget about it and move on
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

There's a post from someone else in this thread who said he's worked in places where violence from a colleague didn't result in a sacking.

I'd have thought the BBC could have suspended him/cut his pay/sent him to anger management, without actually sacking him. But I don't know what the law says on the matter.
blue n white army
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
There's a post from someone else in this thread who said he's worked in places where violence from a colleague didn't result in a sacking.

I'd have thought the BBC could have suspended him/cut his pay/sent him to anger management, without actually sacking him. But I don't know what the law says on the matter.
Yeah that was me that mentioned that. Head chef, flipped one night had a waiter against the wall by his throat. Put on leave for a couple of months, attended anger management and came back to work. Everyone felt this was a reasonable punishment.
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by blue n white army)
Yeah that was me that mentioned that. Head chef, flipped one night had a waiter against the wall by his throat. Put on leave for a couple of months, attended anger management and came back to work. Everyone felt this was a reasonable punishment.
The things I've heard head chefs get away with are pretty ****ing insane. I certainly wouldn't want to use them as a standard for what you can reasonably expect to get away with in the workplace.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In my place of work there's also been physical bust-ups but it's been resolved without dismissal. I've only seen one guy sacked for it & that's because he was a persistent problem causer.
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Pathetic little worm.
Listen to your god

Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Depends if you work in professional football or not.

---

I find it really interesting that all the left wing posters are defending the sacking while all the right wing posters are arguing for a lesser punishment, all while carefully avoiding talking about ideology.
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
The things I've heard head chefs get away with are pretty ****ing insane. I certainly wouldn't want to use them as a standard for what you can reasonably expect to get away with in the workplace.
They get away with these things because often firing the head chef without notice or a replacement means the whole business will fold or at least sharply contract. Which realistically is what is going to happen to Top Gear.

People arguing that Jeremy Clarkson should be treated like Jim the work experience tea boy after he punched the CEO are comparing apples with oranges. It's more like firing Steve Jobs for punching the work experience boy.

That doesn't necessarily mean that head chefs or professional footballers shouldn't be fired for using violence in all circumstances but it does mean the BBC probably had a lot more leeway here than they are claiming.
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A lot of hypocrisy here from those on the left. They are baying for his blood because he is the bete noire of them all. A right winger that is funny, good at what he does and loved by millions around the world. ( I'm not one btw)
I expected beacons lit all over the country, it reminded me of the utter joy at Thatchers demise.
To those rightly decrying Oisen getting death threats and Twitter abuse, Clarkson has had this stuff from leftwingers every week for years.
Enjoy his passing, he'll be back before we know it, probably on a bigger package.
n00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
A right winger that is funny
Is such a thing even possible?
e aí rapaz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's possible that some people get away with punching their coworkers, but it's probably not common for people who are on their final warning like Clarkson was. I find it kind of strange how emotional people are over this. It reminds me of this: http://tinyurl.com/q2j7u5t, but for grown men.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads