The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by steephen
do we need to have done the fieldwork to do this exam?. i am self learning and dint do any firldwork.

Yes. It will say you have experienced fieldwork during the course of your study so something like that.
If you haven't done any fieldwork, then investigate how fieldwork for the Bradshaw model and velocity is run (there is loads of fieldwork online). In your mind, run through the whole investigation, with where you were (os maps a location so u can answer accurately), think of the risks there might have been (and how you would respond), google a methodology (in detail), make up results and test these using spearmans rank to give you actual result data.
In the exam it MUST feel as though you have done the fieldwork else you are looking at hardly any marks. If you come up with a full hypothetical one today, before two, (it shouldn't take more than two hours) then you should be ok. Good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by steephen
do we need to have done the fieldwork to do this exam?. i am self learning and dint do any firldwork.

Use this:

http://www.slideshare.net/willwilliams7/geog2-21472059?related=1
For one question that asks about summarising your main conclusions, how can you talk about reliability?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Minnieh21
For one question that asks about summarising your main conclusions, how can you talk about reliability?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure I would. For a summary (not and explanation or an evaluation), doesn't the exam board just want the general trend of your results, was it significant, add a bit of data to back this up and point out an outlier? I thought that was what the mark scheme said as 4 points is point marked. Reliability is more about explaining why you got the results you did :smile:
I think it's going to be on migration - flow graphs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Issy :)
I'm not sure I would. For a summary (not and explanation or an evaluation), doesn't the exam board just want the general trend of your results, was it significant, add a bit of data to back this up and point out an outlier? I thought that was what the mark scheme said as 4 points is point marked. Reliability is more about explaining why you got the results you did :smile:

Yes, this. You don't talk about reliability in the conclusion unless you're asked to.
If the question asks about your conclusions can I use spearmans rank scores or do I have to use individual pieces of data that I got from the different points along the river?
How would you talk about data analysis, i did spearmans rank as I studied how characteristics changed downstream but what would I say if it were a 6 marker or something?

Original post by Hammy_23
yeah in my opinion it will data presentation came up last time
Original post by jaynamodi
If the question asks about your conclusions can I use spearmans rank scores or do I have to use individual pieces of data that I got from the different points along the river?

I'm using my spearmans rank as it proves correlation whereas raw data does not. I might use some raw data to point out how wildly out my outlier is :wink:
Soo nervous for this exam. Need an A for firm :redface:
Hi, does anyone know if we have to remember the formula for standard deviation or spearman's rank?
Guys... have any of you done your fieldwork in Souteyran, Eagle's Nest in France? Could anyone tell me what the geology was around the river, and what the vegetation was? I know that there was pasture grass near the river bank but not sure about the rest of the valley.

(This is for when we need to sketch the area)
Original post by heeyitsjess
Hi, does anyone know if we have to remember the formula for standard deviation or spearman's rank?

I don't think so, in fact in one of the past papers it shows the standard deviation formula (June 2014 I think)
Reply 233
adv/disadv for standard dev.
Okay good! Thank you :smile:
Original post by joeGGG
adv/disadv for standard dev.

Advantages: Shows the spread from the mean. Gives a better understanding of the data than mean alone. It uses all the data
Disadvantages: Does not give the full range of data and can be distorted by extreme values
Something that comes up a lot in the mark scheme in regards to SD is that 68% of data lies within 1 SD; 95% within 2 and 99% within 3. Could be worth mentioning in an answer using your own data if the question has previously required you to work out the SD
How do you justify the use of Spearman's Rank?
Original post by r055grn
Something that comes up a lot in the mark scheme in regards to SD is that 68% of data lies within 1 SD; 95% within 2 and 99% within 3. Could be worth mentioning in an answer using your own data if the question has previously required you to work out the SD

Could you explain this to me? I'm so confused and panicking!
Reply 239
Do I have to know data for my fieldwork for section 2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending