Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizard54142)
    No idea why I didn't apply to Durham/Bath so I could put them as my insurance for some reason I decided Nottingham was a better choice. I guess I thought that A*AA was too high for an insurance.

Regretting it now though.
    I applied for Durham cos I wanted to do Natural Sciences (sudden decision instead of maths) and Durham seems to have the best course structure for that course (for like freedom of choice) then picked Nottingham as my insurance which is still A*AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SH0405)
    In a few league tables it is yes - in the 2015 Guardian rankings, it was 1st (now 5th). Yes, STEP wasn't great.
    Wow, really, above Oxbridge?

I think I managed a 2 in STEP I, but still a bit worried. STEP II was a disaster, I'm thinking I'm looking at a 3, maybe scraped a 2.

I was getting 1/occasional S in all the past papers as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chizz1889)
    I applied for Durham cos I wanted to do Natural Sciences (sudden decision instead of maths) and Durham seems to have the best course structure for that course (for like freedom of choice) then picked Nottingham as my insurance which is still A*AA
    Oh my bad, I'd assumed you were applying for Maths. Nottingham is A*AB/AAA for Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my bad, I'd assumed you were applying for Maths. Nottingham is A*AB/AAA for Maths.
    No but I do maths as part of my course so further maths is still essential haha. Is Durham A*AA for just maths?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have a copy of the paper? Or does anyone remember the distribution of marks for question 1?

ReputationRep:
    No but I do maths as part of my course so further maths is still essential haha. Is Durham A*AA for just maths?
    Yeah I think it's A*AA

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

People on TSR are not a good representation of the student body, because we generally tend to be quite good at our subjects. So if we found an exam difficult, others are very likely to have found it extremely difficult, but if we are finding an exam easy, then the paper was likely to be of average difficulty to the general student (based on past papers).

Most of us found this exam relatively straightforward, so we can except average to high grade boundaries.
    TSR isn't masterrace. That's all I try to point out. Sure many good students go to tsr, but less smarter ones go here as well. imo from past experience the students in tsr generally represent the population pretty well, rather than above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyChow)
    TSR isn't masterrace. That's all I try to point out. Sure many good students go to tsr, but less smarter ones go here as well. imo from past experience the students in tsr generally represent the population pretty well, rather than above
    I've always found the opposite too as there is generally more academic people than less academic people on here, there is a slight bias

ReputationRep:
    From checking past trends:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resou...apers-11034606

We're due a decrease. In terms of difficulty, the papers don't really change so assuming performance is the same, boundaries fall.

I reckon:

A* ~ 64
    A ~ 57
    B ~ 50
    C ~ 44

Anyways, whilst you lucky people relax and finish I'ma do FPT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leechayy)
    From checking past trends:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resou...apers-11034606

We're due a decrease. In terms of difficulty, the papers don't really change so assuming performance is the same, boundaries fall.

I reckon:

A* ~ 64
    A ~ 57
    B ~ 50
    C ~ 44

Anyways, whilst you lucky people relax and finish I'ma do FPT
    Sounds reasonable

Good luck with FPT, got my last exam tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Sounds reasonable

Good luck with FPT, got my last exam tomorrow
    What exam is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leechayy)
    What exam is it?
    Computing... only started revising today, my hopes aren't high.

I didn't need it for uni so I've been focusing on Maths and Physics.

ReputationRep:
    I've always found the opposite too as there is generally more academic people than less academic people on here, there is a slight bias
    I agree the "untouchable" category of students generally don't go on tsr. So slightly above average, but not too much

ReputationRep:
    How do you get an A* in further maths? I was told you needed 90% in 3 A2 modules but is it an average of 90 (i.e. 270 over 3) or individually at least 90 in 3?
    I know for normal maths its average 90% in c3/4 for a* but I was told further maths was different...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carla Huynh)
    How do you get an A* in further maths? I was told you needed 90% in 3 A2 modules but is it an average of 90 (i.e. 270 over 3) or individually at least 90 in 3?
    I know for normal maths its average 90% in c3/4 for a* but I was told further maths was different...
    90% average for A2 modules in FM

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a scan of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    A* 68
    a 65
    b 58
    c 52
    d 46
    e 40

ReputationRep:
    A* 68
    a 65
    b 58
    c 52
    d 46
    e 40
    As expected really, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarcasmrules)
    As expected really, imo.
    Yeah didnt quite think 68 tho, wasnt that difficult but still thought it'd be 66/67

ReputationRep:
    100 Ums, banging 😎

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.