Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleighls)
    Guys I did the essay for the film about which factors make it successful but I got confused about the wording so I wrote about some successful factors but I analysed it both ways so I also said things like 'in my opinion it's not that successful as seems unrealistic' as well as talking about why that's successful, do you think that will lose me a lot of marks for not fully answering the question?
    I did a different question so I don't know the exact wording of the one you did. But from what you said I don't think you'd lose marks for explaining how/why it wasn't successful, in addition to how it was. If anything you are showing both sides of the argument which is how I was taught to answer these types of questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhimat10)
    I think I'm the only one who put 17.15 as being abendsessen. 😓 he said free time started at 15.30 or something and went on to say that something (I can't remember what ) happened after the evening meal so I assumed that eating had to come at a time inbetween ? Ah well. One mark haha
    I put that too! I listened over and over again and all I could get was that at 630 they can buy sweets? So I just assumed they had Abendessen before that because it didn't say when else they ate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else just copy down what it said for the last listening question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cajoling_Owl)
    Did anyone else just copy down what it said for the last listening question?
    I did!!! Hahaha. Well I adapted it slightly but essentially just what she said. It was a strange question.

ReputationRep:
    how does the whole UMS thing work? like overrall how many ums is the course out of? and what are the grade boundaries (ums) for each grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhimat10)
    I did!!! Hahaha. Well I adapted it slightly but essentially just what she said. It was a strange question.
    It was! The inwieweit one wasn't a nice one either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opti3000)
    how does the whole UMS thing work? like overrall how many ums is the course out of? and what are the grade boundaries (ums) for each grade?
    Overall it's out of 400 UMS - 200 each year.
    The UMS boundaries are:
    80% (320) for an A
    70% (280) for a B
    60% (240) for a C and so on.
    For an A*, you need 90% in A2 modules and 80% overall.

You can see how that converts to raw marks here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opti3000)
    I think that the overall UMS for A2 is out of 200, 140 for the written exam and 60 for the speaking. 90% overall in UMS is an A*, 80 for an A etc!

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys reckon the grade boundaries will be like? I think they'll be quite high since that was such a nice/easy paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WishIHadRevised)
    What do you guys reckon the grade boundaries will be like? I think they'll be quite high since that was such a nice/easy paper!
    What? I got the impression they had made quite a big effort to make it harder this year. Compared to OCR, it is always relatively easy I'd say - and the boundaries are high accordingly, but compared to previous years, that was a challenging paper.

ReputationRep:
    No one got the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DodoManiac)
    What? I got the impression they had made quite a big effort to make it harder this year. Compared to OCR, it is always relatively easy I'd say - and the boundaries are high accordingly, but compared to previous years, that was a challenging paper.
    I agree; in comparison with all of the other ones, this years was not nice at all. Especially where the translations are concerned, I've never seen so much niche vocab come up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlamestormA)
    I did a different question so I don't know the exact wording of the one you did. But from what you said I don't think you'd lose marks for explaining how/why it wasn't successful, in addition to how it was. If anything you are showing both sides of the argument which is how I was taught to answer these types of questions.
    The exact wording was 'which factors restore the success of the film' or something like that. Thank you though makes me feel a lot better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cajoling_Owl)
    I agree; in comparison with all of the other ones, this years was not nice at all. Especially where the translations are concerned, I've never seen so much niche vocab come up!
    Yeah, and I think they had a couple of passives and generally more hard grammar points than usual.

ReputationRep:
    Overall it's out of 400 UMS - 200 each year.
    The UMS boundaries are:
    80% (320) for an A
    70% (280) for a B
    60% (240) for a C and so on.
    For an A*, you need 90% in A2 modules and 80% overall.

You can see how that converts to raw marks here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums

Hope that helps!
    is that the paper and the speaking exam? or just the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridirahman)
    is that the paper and the speaking exam? or just the paper?
    140 for the paper, 60 for the oral, so it's a 70:30 split

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I didn't mean to sound like a ****! :P It's just our teacher had been giving us 1997+ papers which are a lot harder than this new paper style so that was probably why.

Good luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I didn't mean to sound like a ****! :P It's just our teacher had been giving us 1997+ papers which are a lot harder than this new paper style so that was probably why.

Good luck to everyone!
    ahh ok haha, fair enough!

ReputationRep:

Good luck to everyone!
    We'd been doing super old papers too- they are awful aren't they! although apparently they didn't have to do an essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstymann14)
    We'd been doing super old papers too- they are awful aren't they! although apparently they didn't have to do an essay
    Yeah I was getting 88%+ on the 'modern' papers and I did my first 'old' paper and scraped 70% haha.

I think the unseen translation pieces were better in a way because you can't memorise anything, it just tests your knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. I know this isn't true of everyone but our teacher said at other schools she's taught at they told them to plan and memorise a load of essays in advance which is pretty naff. :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.