Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As the posters above have said, firstly these contracts aren't imposed north of the border in Scotland anyway and secondly; most of us have chosen medicine as a calling. A desire to help and a life spent in the service of others.

The pay has never really been a draw and it's never really been competitive for the hours worked and the difficulty of the job. I was both a lawyer and a financier, both of which pay much much more for far more sociable hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    As potential medical students, we don't enter this line of work for the pay so I highly doubt being paid less will have much of an impact on how many people applied.

If anything, people who didn't choose medicine this year because they'd potentially get paid less would not make good doctors because they're applying for the wrong reasons.
    You do realise how much money it is taking from a junior doctors salary, right?

I'd argue that you'd have to be insane to not, at the very least, reconsider if medicine is the right choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pennyarcade)
    You do realise how much money it is taking from a junior doctors salary, right?

I'd argue that you'd have to be insane to not, at the very least, reconsider if medicine is the right choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    of course i've seen it, but its not an important factor until you've actually finished med school. I'd do the job for the minimum salary I'd need to have a place to live and food. You gotta show a passion for the science rather than the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcus4004)
    Do not worry. You are correct in saying Dundee/Aber have sent their first round out - but by no means their last! Your UKCAT isn't amazing - but it won't hold you back from any of them. Just stay calm and patient Best of luck!
    Thank you! That's very reassuring 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmed16)
    What did you get for your National 5's? If you don't mind me asking!
    No I don't mind at all! I got all As at Nat 5. I sat English, Biology, Chemistry, Computing Science, Geography, Music and French. I also sat Intermediate 2 Maths and SG Music in third year and got an A and a 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranspice)
    Hey Guys,

I applied to Glasgow too but just wanted to tell you guys that last year some students with as low at 610 average got interviews so they are considering all aspects as some above that didnt get any! And to make everyone in Medicine feel better the number of Medical Applicants this year has droppped (because of all the new junior doctor contracts and long weeks with bad pay and everything) so woo us?! hahah just thought I'd tell you all to releive some peoples stress a wee bit!
    Where do you get that from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bogshed)
    I think you'll do okay. You'll squeeze through on your UKCAT then wow them at the interview with your Volunteering and extra-curricular.

Remember, once you're through to the Glasgow interview it's a clean sheet so it doesn't matter if your UKCAT's 2630 or 3000...
    Thank you for your reply! Yeah that's the good thing about Glasgow. Hopefully I'll get an interview! Fingers crossed 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Torel)
    Your chances really depend on general trends in application to Glasgow. As Glasgow uses UKCAT to order who they are inviting you just need over the minimum number.

Therefore if we assume the same number of invites, the same caliber of students and the same number of applications; we can assume a similar UKCAT cut off to last year, adjusted for average changes.

This year the UKCAT average was marginally higher than the year before, bumping up the cut off slightly, which should be about 5-10 points.

Last year the cut off was around 650, so the cut off this year is expected to be somewhere in the region of 650-660.

This is all conjectural though, as it really does depend on whose applied where.

I personally would say that you have a fair chance of just scraping in above the cut off, anyway best of luck to you!
    Thank you! Fingers crossed 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    of course i've seen it, but its not an important factor until you've actually finished med school. I'd do the job for the minimum salary I'd need to have a place to live and food. You gotta show a passion for the science rather than the money.
    That's a very bold statement to make when you haven't even started medical school

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pennyarcade)
    That's a very bold statement to make when you haven't even started medical school

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Talking to current medical students, doctors and interviewers you learn a thing or two...

ReputationRep:
    Okay y'all need to calm down, firstly I said about the junior doctor thing aas not everyones applied just Scotland so those that applied to english ones it applies to, secondly in England the cuts are a huge deal because don't forget we pay for uni so get in debt by about £46 grand and need to start paying it back as soon as we start earning above £15k this might not seem like that bad but lot's of my friends who live below the poverty line and would make great doctors (yes the statement of how if they wouldnt do it due to the money is just invalid) can't affod to get in this much debt and earn little and start paying it back as soon as they leave so have gone to dentistry as they still want to help people! And also a lot of english students dont know that this doesnt effect scotland so it means less english students will be applying to scotland too! (before someone else shouts at me I dont mean EVERYONE just some) and the money is jsut one aspect of the 23 issues being raised currently by junior doctors in england thus why I said etc.

Also to who asked I had a friend who got an interview last year with a UKCAT of 610 and I think they may have even been some on student room with lower ukcats but im not sure bout that one

okay dude i told you that to calm you all down by the way (my first post) you can stop shouting at me now :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranspice)
    Okay y'all need to calm down, firstly I said about the junior doctor thing aas not everyones applied just Scotland so those that applied to english ones it applies to, secondly in England the cuts are a huge deal because don't forget we pay for uni so get in debt by about £46 grand and need to start paying it back as soon as we start earning above £15k this might not seem like that bad but lot's of my friends who live below the poverty line and would make great doctors (yes the statement of how if they wouldnt do it due to the money is just invalid) can't affod to get in this much debt and earn little and start paying it back as soon as they leave so have gone to dentistry as they still want to help people! And also a lot of english students dont know that this doesnt effect scotland so it means less english students will be applying to scotland too! (before someone else shouts at me I dont mean EVERYONE just some) and the money is jsut one aspect of the 23 issues being raised currently by junior doctors in england thus why I said etc.

Also to who asked I had a friend who got an interview last year with a UKCAT of 610 and I think they may have even been some on student room with lower ukcats but im not sure bout that one

okay dude i told you that to calm you all down by the way (my first post) you can stop shouting at me now :'
    i didnt know about it not applying to Scotland. Cheers, definitely a useful point to potentially bring up at an interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    i didnt know about it not applying to Scotland. Cheers, definitely a useful point to potentially bring up at an interview
    Yea and also if you wanted to know the 23 points that the Junior Doctors want to strike against the goverment have stated that theyre 'open to discussion' publically to make it look like the goverment are doing what they can to change it for the better but because the doctors are refusing it makes them look like they wont settle and bad in the public eye where as the truth is that the goverment have only said theyll discuss these changes with junior doctors if the doctors accept that 22 of the point are non-negotiable which obviously is just down right out of order tbh for the gov to say..

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy Hunt, putting the C in Hunt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    As potential medical students, we don't enter this line of work for the pay so I highly doubt being paid less will have much of an impact on how many people applied.

If anything, people who didn't choose medicine this year because they'd potentially get paid less would not make good doctors because they're applying for the wrong reasons.
    That's very naive, of course the big cuts in pay will have an impact - money is always a factor. Not everyone can be a Dr, the reason Dr's get paid so much is because of the high position of responsibility they hold, because their necks are on the line for everything that happens. The hours are long, mentally and physically exhausting, and the level of knowledge and skill required to become a good doctor exceeds many other jobs. So to not earn much money and not be compensated for all their efforts is clearly going to put many people off being in the profession.

Just because some people are off put from becoming a doctor because of the cut in pay does not mean they would not have become a good doctor, your clearly not considering the level of financial debt that university puts you in to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rambo_Jambo)
    That's very naive, of course the big cuts in pay will have an impact - money is always a factor. Not everyone can be a Dr, the reason Dr's get paid so much is because of the high position of responsibility they hold, because their necks are on the line for everything that happens. The hours are long, mentally and physically exhausting, and the level of knowledge and skill required to become a good doctor exceeds many other jobs. So to not earn much money and not be compensated for all their efforts is clearly going to put many people off being in the profession.

Just because some people are off put from becoming a doctor because of the cut in pay does not mean they would not have become a good doctor, your clearly not considering the level of financial debt that university puts you in to.
    oh of course, i fully understand where you're coming from. I was trying to say people who come into medicine just for the money are not coming in with a great frame of mind. Sorry if I misinterpreted this whole thing

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we'll be offered which date we want to take? I have an interview on one of the dates they've stated as a possibility (in the email I had for receipt of my ucas)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanab)
    Do you think we'll be offered which date we want to take? I have an interview on one of the dates they've stated as a possibility (in the email I had for receipt of my ucas)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure Glasgow just give you a date and that's it! 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmed16)
    I'm pretty sure Glasgow just give you a date and that's it! 😊
    Oh dear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanab)
    Oh dear
    You should be fine! I'm sure they'll understand if you need to change it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2016

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.