Turn on thread page Beta

Sexism Row watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    But there's no reason to say that you can't think someone looks good as well as respect their ability to do their job. If you make an effort to look nice you can't criticise someone for telling you that you look nice.

I have already said that I would agree his comments were somewhat inappropriate but to call him sexist is ridiculous. She obviously thought she looked good in that picture and I think had the guy been young and good looking she'd have reacted very differently

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You could ask someone to restrict their comments to the job at hand. People make an effort to look nice to not get fired or disciplined for inappropriate clothing. If it was acceptable to go to work in pj's i'm sure a lot of people would.

He isnt sexist, I dont believe I claimed he was.

Girls who dont want comments like that dont react differently because a guy is old or young. I have a serious bf so if someone comments to me like that it doesnt matter if they are 18 or 80 i'm still not interested in recieving them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VotreAltesse)
    Nothing to be proud of.

And it's spelt "Résumé" ... You make me crease.
    I'm sure my boyfriend is quite proud of the fact I dont welcome inappropriate comments at work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    I'm sure my boyfriend is quite proud of the fact I dont welcome inappropriate comments at work.
    If he's not insecure, someone calling you 'stunning' wouldn't bother him. But then again, you've probably got him wrapped around your finger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VotreAltesse)
    If he's not insecure, someone calling you 'stunning' wouldn't bother him. But then again, you've probably got him wrapped around your finger
    Oh he wouldnt care, but he'd rather I not want the attention than be a flirt about it i'm sure.

Gotta love tsr - accept a man's compliments on one thread when you have a bf =slut.
    Dont accept a man's compliments and mention it's respectful to your partner on another =prude who has your boyfriend wrapped round your finger.

Tsr = The website where whatever women do they cant win.

ReputationRep:
    Oh he wouldnt care, but he'd rather I not want the attention than be a flirt about it i'm sure.

Gotta love tsr - accept a man's compliments on one thread when you have a bf =slut.
    Dont accept a man's compliments and mention it's respectful to your partner on another =prude who has your boyfriend wrapped round your finger.

Tsr = The website where whatever women do they cant win.
    Oh good God stop pulling the victim card!!!

/end.

ReputationRep:
    You could ask someone to restrict their comments to the job at hand. People make an effort to look nice to not get fired or disciplined for inappropriate clothing. If it was acceptable to go to work in pj's i'm sure a lot of people would.

He isnt sexist, I dont believe I claimed he was.

Girls who dont want comments like that dont react differently because a guy is old or young. I have a serious bf so if someone comments to me like that it doesnt matter if they are 18 or 80 i'm still not interested in recieving them.
    As I've tried to explain there's a difference between dressing appropriately so that you're not being told off and dressing to look nice which is what most people do.

I'm not saying all girls would love compliments but most women would react differently if someone good looking complimented them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    More women have come forward to the police with historical allegations of sexist remarks on Linkedin 30 years ago.

Police are urging more victims to come forward.

Shadow Home Secretary, Yvette Cooper, called in Parliament for a single, overarching public inquiry into the claims.

ReputationRep:
    For those of you claiming that the guy wasn't being sexist...are you all high?? He was hitting on her when she wanted to talk to him in a professional context. If they were in a bar then fair enough but she approached him for professional reasons. He undermined her skills by commenting on her appearance instead of giving her a constructive response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaaaa)
    For those of you claiming that the guy wasn't being sexist...are you all high?? He was hitting on her when she wanted to talk to him in a professional context. If they were in a bar then fair enough but she approached him for professional reasons. He undermined her skills by commenting on her appearance instead of giving her a constructive response.
    How is he undermining her abilities? Where in those messages did he explicitly undermine her skills? Reading between the lines and making assumptions does not suffice as a piece of evidence. Unless the man said "you can only get a job because you look good" or something along those lines, there is no reason to attack him for being sexist

ReputationRep:
    Alexander Carter-Silk was at worst unprofessional, not sexist. If he is sexist, then Charlotte Proudman is also sexist and hence a hypocrite for what she's said on facebook etc, though of course doing so in such an environment means there's nothing wrong with being unprofessional (it's a social setting, rather than a professional one).

Now, I haven't worked in a law firm, but I do work in a place dominated by older women who do casually make unsolicited compliments on people's appearances. Perhaps I'm putting up with sexism everyday when actually what I should do is record them to shame them on the national news, but more likely is they're decent people who might be a little irritating, but really just want to have a friendlier working relationship.

Charlotte Proudman has mentioned other things like being asked for a bikini photo and being groped in a taxi. I don't doubt that those things do happen and she likely has been the victim of things like that but really those are the things she should be making a fuss about, not someone trying to be friendly because he wants to work with her as a person (which she initiated, from the looks of things, it wasn't as if he were trawling through people and clicked on pretty faces) rather than an emotionless robot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetalAlchemist;[url="tel:59250251")
    59250251[/url]]I was watching the news today, and I looked into this "Sexism Row" discussion.

A female lawyer accused a male lawyer for being sexist, because he gave her a compliment. He said that her picture is "stunning" and was highly offended by this comment.

Now, she has made it a big deal to the point where it's on National TV and she is still trying justify herself on why the comment is sexist.

The male lawyer is also being shamed on television, because of it!!!!

I think it's a ridiculous accusation.

What do you think about this?
    So, I think he was out of order. He pretty much acknowledged this in his reply to be honest and it wouldn't surprise me if after he clicked the reply button he reflected whether he should have crafted this message. Also considering he was sending it to a high achieving woman's rights barrister..

This said, I think her stinging reply was adequate and I'm not sure it was necessary or prudent to make it public. It doesn't look as if she has suffered too much discrimination and she might have given him the benefit of the doubt that even top of their profession ageing cynical barristers are driven strangely nuts, without malice, by an attractive young woman.

ReputationRep:
    She is supposedly one of them moronic feminst neo nazi's so he shouldn't have commented on her at all. There is nothing wrong with the comment he made to the picture as it was only a head shot of her. She over reacted and the comment was private so her posting and making it public has ruined her reputation as no one will generally want to share information with her as she will blab about it. She should have just replied with something like thanks for the kind comment but it would be appreciated if you didn't make comments in regards to looks etc then left it at that

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.