Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabberjay_)
    Where did you hear that from?
    I got told on the interview day I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exo97)
    I got told on the interview day I think.
    Well I'm screwed then, not sure how I'd get A*A*A, not to mention AEA...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabadon)
    The reason unis have higher requirements for MEng is because it's harder. If imperial is going to give you an offer, you're probably capable of MEng regardless of what you've applied for. I have a BEng offer for a*a*a, whilst a friend has a MEng offer for a*a*a with AEA. I'd be really surprised if there was any correlation based on MEng or BEng alone tbh.
    Ah right. So did you apply for BEng originally? I applied for MEng because you could just do BEng and then stop. The same can be done the other way round so from BEng to MEng but I remember they mentioned something about student finance being an issue in the latter option.

Also:

STANDARD UK QUALIFICATIONSA-levelsOur standard minimum A-level offer is A* AA - A*AAA with an A* in Maths.

From http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/...eng-computing/

under Entry Requirements for those unsure about the minimum standard offer.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm screwed then, not sure how I'd get A*A*A, not to mention AEA...
    Well I have just heard this from a few people anyways. It's probably not very representative of the whole spread of offer so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exo97)
    Ah right. So did you apply for BEng originally? I applied for MEng because you could just do BEng and then stop. The same can be done the other way round so from BEng to MEng but I remember they mentioned something about student finance being an issue in the latter option.

Also:

STANDARD UK QUALIFICATIONSA-levelsOur standard minimum A-level offer is A* AA - A*AAA with an A* in Maths.

From http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/...eng-computing/

under Entry Requirements for those unsure about the minimum standard offer.
    Yeah I just applied to BEng, there's not really a reason why, I just thought if I wanted to do a MEng I can make that decision at uni; a little student finance issue i'm sure can be resolved.

And yeah sure it might say that but for a start I don't really see many getting that offer. Their guides are just super bare minimums and often we're seeing offers way higher and including things such as step and aea, I really don't think their min requirements are anything to go off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exo97)
    Well I have just heard this from a few people anyways. It's probably not very representative of the whole spread of offer so don't worry!
    Thanks for your help. Imperial is where I've always wanted to go, it would just be a bit of a predicament to have A*A*A firm and UCL A*AA insurance, I could always put kings as insurance(AAB), but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I got AAA or above and only went to kings.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help. Imperial is where I've always wanted to go, it would just be a bit of a predicament to have A*A*A firm and UCL A*AA insurance, I could always put kings as insurance(AAB), but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I got AAA or above and only went to kings.
    No problem! That's exactly the problem I am stuck in at the moment... I dunno if I should have UCL's A*AA for MEng as my insurance or another lower one for insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabadon)
    Yeah I just applied to BEng, there's not really a reason why, I just thought if I wanted to do a MEng I can make that decision at uni; a little student finance issue i'm sure can be resolved.

And yeah sure it might say that but for a start I don't really see many getting that offer. Their guides are just super bare minimums and often we're seeing offers way higher and including things such as step and aea, I really don't think their min requirements are anything to go off.
    That's quite right. Imperial really is making the offers harder. But I have also seen from previous threads that someone just missed the STEP offer can still get in.

Btw what were your GCSEs and AS? Have you done any programming stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exo97)
    That's quite right. Imperial really is making the offers harder. But I have also seen from previous threads that someone just missed the STEP offer can still get in.

Btw what were your GCSEs and AS? Have you done any programming stuff?
    6A* 5A 1B

AAAA

and a little but not much

ReputationRep:
    Current JMC (in Department for Computing) student at Imperial which know (partially) how admissions work here.

To start with, the BEng course and MEng courses does not made a difference in admissions view. In fact it can be said that they are identical in the first two years (with some technicalities if you are on the MEng (Games, Vision and Interaction) stream), and you can switch between the two until the first term of year 3. To make things clear, I would use the term "Computing" for both the BEng and the MEng courses.

Offers for a place in Computing are made on consideration on each individual's application, but not on which stream the application is for. That is, the bare minimum offer for Computing, both BEng and MEng, is A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and your third subject. Almost certainly it also includes A grades in any extra A2-levels you are doing, and sometimes at admissions discretion, some specified grades in AEA and/or STEP papers. Do not confuse with the Joint Mathematics & Computing course, which have a bare minimum of A*A*A(A). You are as likely to get higher-than-bare-minimum offer on BEng as that on MEng, since at the end of the day, you are essentially applying for a place for Imperial Computing.

(Original post by exo97)
    Does anyone know if I get assigned to the BEng course automatically if I fail to meet the MEng offer?
    That is not how it works - if you (touch wood) failed to meet the MEng offer, you lose the automatic right to gain a place for Imperial Computing in the coming year. The admissions team will consider each missed-offer application individually, and depending on how many people got in (we are quite tight in space), and how strong are applicants in the missed-offer pool, to decide if you should get in. If they let you get in, you can still do a MEng course.

Does anyone know of different requirements for the meng compared to the beng? The imperial website doesn't seem to make any distinction. I've applied for the meng and I'm worried I might get an offer with sky high requirements...
    (Original post by exo97)
    That's quite right. Imperial really is making the offers harder.
    Offers are generally tough at imperial, since this is where the selection stage happens. This is the contrary of oxbridge, which put majority of their filtering immediately after interviews. Furthermore, if the interviewers believe you could achieve a specified standard, they would not hesitate to give out that as offer to challenge you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exo97)
    BEng is A*AA(A) and MEng is A*A*A(A). However this is the bare minimum. Quite a few people have been receiving STEP/AEA or EPQ offers...
    Both BEng and MEng have a minimum of A*AA(A).

There is zero difference between the two and you will not be transferred if you fail to meet the minimum requirements.

Below is the link to both the BEng course and MEng course. Both of which have entry requirements of A*AA(A)
    http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/c...ent/computing/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liu.chbn)
    Current JMC (in Department for Computing) student at Imperial which know (partially) how admissions work here.

To start with, the BEng course and MEng courses does not made a difference in admissions view. In fact it can be said that they are identical in the first two years (with some technicalities if you are on the MEng (Games, Vision and Interaction) stream), and you can switch between the two until the first term of year 3. To make things clear, I would use the term "Computing" for both the BEng and the MEng courses.

Offers for a place in Computing are made on consideration on each individual's application, but not on which stream the application is for. That is, the bare minimum offer for Computing, both BEng and MEng, is A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and your third subject. Almost certainly it also includes A grades in any extra A2-levels you are doing, and sometimes at admissions discretion, some specified grades in AEA and/or STEP papers. Do not confuse with the Joint Mathematics & Computing course, which have a bare minimum of A*A*A(A). You are as likely to get higher-than-bare-minimum offer on BEng as that on MEng, since at the end of the day, you are essentially applying for a place for Imperial Computing.

That is not how it works - if you (touch wood) failed to meet the MEng offer, you lose the automatic right to gain a place for Imperial Computing in the coming year. The admissions team will consider each missed-offer application individually, and depending on how many people got in (we are quite tight in space), and how strong are applicants in the missed-offer pool, to decide if you should get in. If they let you get in, you can still do a MEng course.

Offers are generally tough at imperial, since this is where the selection stage happens. This is the contrary of oxbridge, which put majority of their filtering immediately after interviews. Furthermore, if the interviewers believe you could achieve a specified standard, they would not hesitate to give out that as offer to challenge you.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    Both BEng and MEng have a minimum of A*AA(A).

There is zero difference between the two and you will not be transferred if you fail to meet the minimum requirements.

Below is the link to both the BEng course and MEng course. Both of which have entry requirements of A*AA(A)
    http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/c...ent/computing/
    Thanks to you too. All the best if you were also applying.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international applicant for MEng Computing, and am both glad and worried (after CSAT) for Imperial's Online Test. To those who have written the test, what is the general structure of the test like? It's online - so how do we submit responses (or is it MCQ style ?) Are there restrictions on calculators, formula booklets, textbooks and similar? In terms of difficulty, more like STEP/MAT or IB HL / A level Math?

Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adzkii786)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww. Dont pree my posts then, you moron.
    Hmm. What's that for mate ?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got an offer which doesn't include STEP/AEA?

ReputationRep:
    Me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exo97)
    Me!
    I hope to join you! Can I ask your AS grades? Also do you do any computing-related stuff on the side? Also do they want one or 2 A*s from you?

ReputationRep:
    I hope to join you! Can I ask your AS grades? Also do you do any computing-related stuff on the side? Also do they want one or 2 A*s from you?
    I hope to meet you too, provided I meet the requirements lol. I got AAAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Electronics and Computing. This year I am doing only 4 (all except Computing ironically). I am unable to do computing this year as I am the only person in my year wanting to do it, so they won't offer me computing for the second year. I need to get A*A*AA with the A* being in Maths and Further Maths and then the A's in Physics and Electronics.

I did a bit of programming. I won't say that I have done a lot of really heavy programming but I have done basic stuff. I took part in student robotics for example. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, my offer's A*AA

There are a lot of details about STEP/AEA offers in this Freedom of Information request that Imperial responded to: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-686012

From the spreadsheet attached to their reply to that request: in the 2014-2015 application period, 19.5% of BEng applicants and 14.5% of MEng applicants received STEP/AEA offers, so it seems unlikely that your offer will include it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.