Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunburner)
    for the role play MMI stations, are you allowed to touch the actor? I know that sounds weird but let me explain I mean if they are playing a blind or deaf person can you take their arm and guide them or if they are upset can you put your hand on their shoulder or is that too informal
    No it normally tells you at the station you can't physically touch the actor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elena_is_blonde)
    No it normally tells you at the station you can't physically touch the actor
    OK thanks ! what about teamwork stations, are they supposed to have several candidates together at one station taking part in some kind of team exercise or discussion? not sure how that would be possible considering each candidate rotates around the stations !

ReputationRep:
    Incredibly nervous for this interview on Friday

How are people preparing? I don't want to over rehearse answers

ReputationRep:
    Got my rejection email too! Bit gutted but what can you do. Good luck everyone!!! 😉

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljholt)
    Incredibly nervous for this interview on Friday

How are people preparing? I don't want to over rehearse answers
    Don't be nervous! It's difficult to prepare for so just relax, try and have fun and you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k8clar)
    Got my rejection email too! Bit gutted but what can you do. Good luck everyone!!! 😉

Im sorry to hear that, I didnt realize they sent out rejections this early. Was it a rejection after interview or just a rejection without interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k8clar)
    Wait does that mean all the interviews have been given out now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just got a rejection

ReputationRep:
    Who has an interview for 15th January in the morning?

ReputationRep:
    Got a rejection too, today.
    Had 2 interviews already though, and hoping for a third!

Good luck everybody

ReputationRep:
    Guys I'm having such a dilemma!! I just had my interview today, and it was going well until the last station! I was asked a question that could be interpreted in two ways, and I answered one way that would be very much ethically wrong, had the interviewer meant the other way! I know I should have clarified what I meant at the station, but the bell went and I had no time to. Do you think I should email them and explain what has happened? Or is too late now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmed16)
    Guys I'm having such a dilemma!! I just had my interview today, and it was going well until the last station! I was asked a question that could be interpreted in two ways, and I answered one way that would be very much ethically wrong, had the interviewer meant the other way! I know I should have clarified what I meant at the station, but the bell went and I had no time to. Do you think I should email them and explain what has happened? Or is too late now?

you will be fine, I made several mistakes and I'm sure others will have too, the fact that you're only worried about one station is phenomenal as I'm worried about 4 of them and some people in my group are worried about like half of them!! you could email if you really want, but it'll either increase or decrease your chances. I'd say it seems a bit excessive to try to explain to them your mistakes when everyone made mistakes but if it gives you peace of mind then go for it ! maybe you answered it right anyway ! I found the interview so much fun despite all my mistakes and trip ups LOL !

Edited to add: in every one of my stations, I was cut off mid sentence by the bell. it is annoying but they know its not your fault !!
    in fact it is tempting to email them to make up for your mistakes but Im not sure if they are even allowed to add or change your scores ....

ReputationRep:
    you will be fine, I made several mistakes and I'm sure others will have too, the fact that you're only worried about one station is phenomenal as I'm worried about 4 of them and some people in my group are worried about like half of them!! you could email if you really want, but it'll either increase or decrease your chances. I'd say it seems a bit excessive to try to explain to them your mistakes when everyone made mistakes but if it gives you peace of mind then go for it ! maybe you answered it right anyway ! I found the interview so much fun despite all my mistakes and trip ups LOL !

Edited to add: in every one of my stations, I was cut off mid sentence by the bell. it is annoying but they know its not your fault !!
    in fact it is tempting to email them to make up for your mistakes but Im not sure if they are even allowed to add or change your scores ....
    happy to have read this. I am so worried about many of the stations there. the role play was tough - don't think I managed to conclude any of them!

ReputationRep:
    Just been rejected from Dundee. Grad 2.1 ukcat 687.5. Good luck everyone else!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OK thanks ! what about teamwork stations, are they supposed to have several candidates together at one station taking part in some kind of team exercise or discussion? not sure how that would be possible considering each candidate rotates around the stations !
    you only team-up with actors not other candidates

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have my interview in January and I have still not started preparing for it so I am really freaking out now.

How did you guys prepare, and do you know what are the current hot topics etc or where I can find them all?

Any help will be very appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redddddd)
    Hi guys, I have my interview in January and I have still not started preparing for it so I am really freaking out now.

How did you guys prepare, and do you know what are the current hot topics etc or where I can find them all?

Any help will be very appreciated
    I used the ISC Medical book for my non-Dundee interviews so far but there are lots of ways to ready yourself.

First, read your personal statement. Not only will some questions perhaps be based on this, but also it's a great resource for you to remind yourself of all the things you've done and how these have led you to apply to do medicine.

Make sure you're prepared to answer questions such as 'why medicine?' and 'why Dundee?', and have a look at question lists that are available online (google 'medical school interview questions'). If a question does not explicitly mention medicine (for example, 'are you a team player?'), you should still implicitly or even explicitly explain why your answer highlights what a good doctor you'd be. Try to bring in as many examples from your extracurriculars, work experience, and volunteering as you can, but focus on reflection rather than a list of awesome things you did. Practice answering 'tell me about a time you did X' type questions using the STARR technique (situation, task, action, result, reflection).

Also look up MMI interviews on YouTube, just to give yourself an idea of what the various stations might entail.

Briefly go over the basic concepts of medical ethics (beneficence, non-maleficence, autonomy, and justice), and practice unpicking the ethical principles in play for various scenarios (paid organ donation, force-feeding of anorexics, and Jehovah's witness blood transfusion, for example). Another very topical issue would be the junior doctor strike. Read the BBC health news page, and research the basic structure of the NHS in Scotland and what changes its going to through. Recognise and be able to say something coherent about privatisation, the aging population, and allocation of scarce healthcare resources.

One thing I found really helpful was to practice timing myself (60-90 seconds per answer), to try and help stop myself from rambling too much.

Finally - and this might be easier said than done, particularly given the wall of text above! - you should remember to relax and try to put a bit of your personality across. The interviewers are not looking for the 'perfect' answers to any particular question; rather, they're looking to see if you are genuinely motivated to study medicine and be a doctor, if you can reflect on your actions and the effect they have on those around you, whether you can express yourself clearly and meaningfully, and if you can deal calmly and resourcefully with unexpected situations (which the MMI stations will throw up in spades). 90% of the other interviewees will be in exactly the same situation as you; the other 10% of us are fending off questions about why we want to be a med student in our 30s ;-)

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivemed56)
    I used the ISC Medical book for my non-Dundee interviews so far but there are lots of ways to ready yourself.

First, read your personal statement. Not only will some questions perhaps be based on this, but also it's a great resource for you to remind yourself of all the things you've done and how these have led you to apply to do medicine.

Make sure you're prepared to answer questions such as 'why medicine?' and 'why Dundee?', and have a look at question lists that are available online (google 'medical school interview questions'. If a question does not explicitly mention medicine (for example, 'are you a team player?', you should still implicitly or even explicitly explain why your answer highlights what a good doctor you'd be. Try to bring in as many examples from your extracurriculars, work experience, and volunteering as you can, but focus on reflection rather than a list of awesome things you did. Practice answering 'tell me about a time you did X' type questions using the STARR technique (situation, task, action, result, reflection).

Also look up MMI interviews on YouTube, just to give yourself an idea of what the various stations might entail.

Briefly go over the basic concepts of medical ethics (beneficence, non-maleficence, autonomy, and justice), and practice unpicking the ethical principles in play for various scenarios (paid organ donation, force-feeding of anorexics, and Jehovah's witness blood transfusion, for example). Another very topical issue would be the junior doctor strike. Read the BBC health news page, and research the basic structure of the NHS in Scotland and what changes its going to through. Recognise and be able to say something coherent about privatisation, the aging population, and allocation of scarce healthcare resources.

One thing I found really helpful was to practice timing myself (60-90 seconds per answer), to try and help stop myself from rambling too much.

Finally - and this might be easier said than done, particularly given the wall of text above! - you should remember to relax and try to put a bit of your personality across. The interviewers are not looking for the 'perfect' answers to any particular question; rather, they're looking to see if you are genuinely motivated to study medicine and be a doctor, if you can reflect on your actions and the effect they have on those around you, whether you can express yourself clearly and meaningfully, and if you can deal calmly and resourcefully with unexpected situations (which the MMI stations will throw up in spades). 90% of the other interviewees will be in exactly the same situation as you; the other 10% of us are fending off questions about why we want to be a med student in our 30s ;-)

Good luck!
    Thank you so much, this is really helpful. Just one last question, how much time would you suggest should be spended preparing for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redddddd)
    Thank you so much, this is really helpful. Just one last question, how much time would you suggest should be spended preparing for this?
    I'd say to give yourself a 2-4 hour block, probably this coming weekend, to practice the interview questions (get a family member or friend, or even talk to yourself), and otherwise spend some time reading health news and ethical scenarios in a more relaxed context. Give the personal statement a final read the night before and perhaps morning of the interview, but make sure you try to get some sleep and rest that night! Remember that it's a performance and not a test. From the sounds of things you'll do really well.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an interview for 13. 1. at 13:15? I'll be the one that can't remember a word in English.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.