Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    That is not true. Global hunger is caused due to an unequal distribution of food around the world. Ending the consumption of animals would not impact the distribution. Secondly, commercial farmers produce food for profit, and if there is no demand for plant-based animal feed (such as soya beans, of which around 75% are fed to animals) they will simply switch to the plant-based food which would give them the most profit - and this may actually result in less people being fed, given the nature of the farm land and other factors.
    What I said is true. If we used the food we feed to animals to feed humans instead, we could eradicate world poverty. Whether you believe that fact is up to you. Also you forget, if we didn't breed animals for food they wouldn't be consuming any food, so they wouldn't be taking anything away from humans. You're blaming animals for our mess again, which is wrong. Humans created this mess, not animals.

I cannot honestly believe you're defending the raising and killing of animals just so you can eat eggs and other animal products. Just be a man and admit the world would be a better place if humans didn't consume animal products or raise animals for their produce. It makes sense for our health, environmentally, and financially, so there is no justification for humans to consume animal products.

Whether you act on the above is down to your personal choice but trying to kid yourself that what you are doing to the planet is actually good for it is bizarre when everything supports the contrary. Dare I say you are clutching at straws to make yourself feel better about your damaging choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    What I said is true. If we used the food we feed to animals to feed humans instead, we could eradicate world poverty. Whether you believe that fact is up to you. Also you forget, if we didn't breed animals for food they wouldn't be consuming any food, so they wouldn't be taking anything away from humans. You're blaming animals for our mess again, which is wrong. Humans created this mess, not animals.

I cannot honestly believe you're defending the raising and killing of animals just so you can eat eggs and other animal products. Just be a man and admit the world would be a better place if humans didn't consume animal products or raise animals for their produce. It makes sense for our health, environmentally, and financially, so there is no justification for humans to consume animal products.

Whether you act on the above is down to your personal choice but trying to kid yourself that what you are doing to the planet is actually good for it is bizarre when everything supports the contrary. Dare I say you are clutching at straws to make yourself feel better about your damaging choices.
    I'm not blaming animals in any way, if you managed to understand what I wrote. I'm merely pointing out the truth that not eating animals will not impact the distribution of food, and world hunger will still go on. I also precisely wrote that farmers who grow animal feed might just switch to plants which would not feed people as efficiently too.

I'm being logical in defending the consumption of eggs and other animal products. It makes the world a better place. It is justified based on the environment, finances, and health.

In fact, most of the problems of animal-based food production associated to environmental problems are due to inefficient, non-modern techniques being used in the developing world, with 75% of the global emissions from cattle and other ruminants and 56% of the global emissions from poultry and pigs coming from the developing world, which produces less food than the developing world. The way to simply reduce this is to rear animals like in OP's video; animal-based food production is sustainable, contrary to what you are inclined to believe.

Whether you act on the above is down to your personal choice but trying to kid yourself that what you are doing for the planet is actually good is bizarre when everything supports the fact that it does not do anything at all. Dare I say you are clutching at straws to make yourself feel better than others for doing something which does not make a difference at all.

PS: How date you ask me to be a man. Stop misgendering me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Nothing worse than a militant vegan, what I choose to eat is not subject to anybody's moral jurisdiction.
    So, if you chose to eat humans kept in the same conditions as most nonhuman animals in the meat industry, what you choose to eat would not be subject to anybody's moral jurisdiction?

I did, and I think that is just an unfortunate outcome which is however still necessary to feed a large population.
    It's not necessary at all to feed people in Britain.

In fact, most of the problems of animal-based food production associated to environmental problems are due to inefficient, non-modern techniques being used in the developing world, with 75% of the global emissions from cattle and other ruminants and 56% of the global emissions from poultry and pigs coming from the developing world, which produces less food than the developing world. The way to simply reduce this is to rear animals like in OP's video; animal-based food production is sustainable, contrary to what you are inclined to believe.
    This is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that virtually all plant-based products have lower greenhouse gas emissions associated with them than animal products. This was corroborated in a peer-reviewed study published in 2014, which, unsurprisingly, found that vegans, followed by vegetarians, have significantly lower greenhouse gas emissions associated with their diets than those with diets containing animal products in them.

Claiming that a diet with animal products in it is just as good for the environment as vegetarian and vegan diets is profoundly intellectually dishonest, and represents ignorance, at best, of the evidence base.

(Original post by saeed97)
    Eating an egg means the egg doesnt grow into a chick and get shredded. Egg eaters are doing them a favour.
    If we raised human babies, shredded them and then fed the resulting material to people, would these people be doing the babies a favour?

The simple fact is that beings aren't harmed by not coming into existence. If you really believe this, then you would believe that we should all be having as many children as possible.

(Original post by _icecream)
    I love eating Chicken being a vegetarian is boring humans were meant to live on meat I feel sorry for those chicks though
    Says who? Is there a transcendental cosmic plan saying humans must eat meat? No. We're omnivores, but that says nothing about whether it is right to eat meat, particularly as vegetarian and vegan diets are just as nutritious, if not more so, than diets containing animal products in them.

ReputationRep:
    Man, people really don't like acknowledging where there food comes from... They make up all sorts of dum stupid arguments justifying it. Like they are 'doing them a favor' :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    I finally got round to watching the video. It was pretty boring and I will still eat eggs.

Open spoiler at own risk.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Dear OP,
    I love you for making this thread. You have my fullest support!

Thank you,
    another passionate vegan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    So, if you chose to eat humans kept in the same conditions as most nonhuman animals in the meat industry, what you choose to eat would not be subject to anybody's moral jurisdiction?

It's not necessary at all to feed people in Britain.

This is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that virtually all plant-based products have lower greenhouse gas emissions associated with them than animal products. This was corroborated in a peer-reviewed study published in 2014, which, unsurprisingly, found that vegans, followed by vegetarians, have significantly lower greenhouse gas emissions associated with their diets than those with diets containing animal products in them.

Claiming that a diet with animal products in it is just as good for the environment as vegetarian and vegan diets is profoundly intellectually dishonest, and represents ignorance, at best, of the evidence base.

If we raised human babies, shredded them and then fed the resulting material to people, would these people be doing the babies a favour?

The simple fact is that beings aren't harmed by not coming into existence. If you really believe this, then you would believe that we should all be having as many children as possible.

Says who? Is there a transcendental cosmic plan saying humans must eat meat? No. We're omnivores, but that says nothing about whether it is right to eat meat, particularly as vegetarian and vegan diets are just as nutritious, if not more so, than diets containing animal products in them.
    You can't get vitamin B12 from a vegetarian diet

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:
    I suppose that I must be deficent despite not being deficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    :facepalm:
    I suppose that I must be deficent despite not being deficient.
    I'm guessing you take supplements then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not blaming animals in any way, if you managed to understand what I wrote. I'm merely pointing out the truth that not eating animals will not impact the distribution of food, and world hunger will still go on. I also precisely wrote that farmers who grow animal feed might just switch to plants which would not feed people as efficiently too.

I'm being logical in defending the consumption of eggs and other animal products. It makes the world a better place. It is justified based on the environment, finances, and health.

Whether you act on the above is down to your personal choice but trying to kid yourself that what you are doing for the planet is actually good is bizarre when everything supports the fact that it does not do anything at all. Dare I say you are clutching at straws to make yourself feel better than others for doing something which does not make a difference at all.

PS: How date you ask me to be a man. Stop misgendering me.
    You are making straw-man arguments. Being a Vegan is the best diet for the planet. Have a look at this website:
    http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/food-...footprint-diet

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...use-hamburger/
    This link is particularly interesting.

As you can see, eating a Vegan diet has the lowest carbon footprint on the planet. There is scientific merit to what I say. You are trying to make up reasons for eating meat. Why won't you just acknowledge that a meat and animal product based diet is bad for the environment and planet?

Go Vegan guys and save the animals and our planet! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I get them from my cornflakes and vegan margarine and a host of other products. Guess I must not be a vegan :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    There is scientific merit to what I say. You are trying to make up reasons for eating meat. :woo:
    You are trying to make up reasons for eating only eating vegetables. Your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I'm guessing you take supplements then?
    Everyone should be taking B12 supplements, vegan or not, so yes, I do.

ReputationRep:
    I love eggs. I'll eat it for breakfast probably 4/5 times a week? Scrambled... poached... boiled... fried omg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    I love eggs. I'll eat it for breakfast probably 4/5 times a week? Scrambled... poached... boiled... fried omg.
    Try replying to the content of the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Dairy can be included in a vegetarian diet, and B12 is found in dairy products.

It's also easy to find in fortified foods, such as soya milk and cornflakes, and in supplement form.

Thus, Vitamin B12 cannot justify not adopting a vegan or lacto-vegetarian diet.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should be taking B12 supplements, vegan or not, so yes, I do.
    Why?

There is enough B12 in a pint of milk to reach your recommended dosage.

ReputationRep:
    Why?

There is enough B12 in a pint of milk to reach your recommended dosage.
    You realise that the vast majority of animals in argiculture have B12 supplemented into their diet. So...most meat eaters and dairy drinkers have B12 indirectly supplemented.

ReputationRep:
    You realise that the vast majority of animals in argiculture have B12 supplemented into their diet. So...most meat eaters and dairy drinkers have B12 indirectly supplemented.
    I do realise that. I have studied agriculture and worked on many livestock farms around the world.

But that still doesn't make sense why meat eaters need to take further supplements if their regular diet contains enough already.

So in essence I was correct in my previous statement. Meat eaters do not need to take supplements of B12 in their diets.

ReputationRep:
    I do realise that. I have studied agriculture and worked on many livestock farms around the world.

But that still doesn't make sense why meat eaters need to take further supplements if their regular diet contains enough already.

So in essence I was correct in my previous statement. Meat eaters do not need to take supplements of B12 in their diets.
    You implied they didn't take supplements.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.