The Student Room Group

Should cigarettes be made illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
Nothing should be illegal that doesn't harm anyone else.

So nothing should be legal?
Original post by Jammy Duel
So nothing should be legal?

No...
Original post by #JOSH45#
Regardless of whether or not the victim made the conscious decision to be shot, the bottom line is that without the shooter nobody would get shot, even if the victim wanted it.

Well said dude :smile:

(For the record Jammy, the smoker came and sat by us actually.)

When catching a train the other day I noticed a sign on every platform saying "This station is a no smoking station. Thank you for helping make our stations a better environment".
I just thought that was interesting, that every train station made the point that smokers ruin the environment for everyone else.

Oh and look at those poll results.
Original post by LizzieArt
Well said dude :smile:

(For the record Jammy, the smoker came and sat by us actually.)

When catching a train the other day I noticed a sign on every platform saying "This station is a no smoking station. Thank you for helping make our stations a better environment".
I just thought that was interesting, that every train station made the point that smokers ruin the environment for everyone else.

Oh and look at those poll results.

Then you should have moved, is it really that hard, or is the stubbornness so great that it's worth loss of life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then you should have moved, is it really that hard, or is the stubbornness so great that it's worth loss of life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We should have moved when someone sat by us, have you actually listened to yourself? Smoking is a huge problem, end of

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are all smokers so rude?
Original post by LizzieArt
We should have moved when someone sat by us, have you actually listened to yourself? Smoking is a huge problem, end of

Somebody puts a gun to your head and says they will only pull the trigger if you don't move, do you not move because "you were there first"?
Somebody puts a gun to your head and says they will only pull the trigger if you don't move, do you not move because "you were there first"?

How is comparable anti-social smokers to a thug threatening to shoot you helping the pro smoking argument? :rofl2:

If that's the case, Ban them I say :fuhrer:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Are all smokers so rude?

Do all non smokers see themselves as more important that they should not move, or ask the smoker to move, if they have a problem? If there is a problem you should be acting to deal with the problem, whether that be kindly asking the problem to move away, or moving away yourself.

As I said above, if somebody put a gun to your head and said they would only shoot if you didn't move would you not move, after all, you're so much better than them and you were there first? Of course, the flaw with that analogy is the person with a gun exactly knows the situation.
How is comparable anti-social smokers to a thug threatening to shoot you helping the pro smoking argument? :rofl2:

If that's the case, Ban them I say :fuhrer:

Because bar the man with the gun knowing that they could kill you, the situation is not dissimilar... The asthmatic could be killed by the smoker, it is like having the gun held to their head, bar the smoker not knowing, but regardless of that the person with a problem decides "I was here first so I will stay here", and unless I do not remember the original story correctly, no attempt was made to get them to move.
let people do whatever the **** they want okay
Do all non smokers see themselves as more important that they should not move, or ask the smoker to move, if they have a problem? If there is a problem you should be acting to deal with the problem, whether that be kindly asking the problem to move away, or moving away yourself.

As I said above, if somebody put a gun to your head and said they would only shoot if you didn't move would you not move, after all, you're so much better than them and you were there first? Of course, the flaw with that analogy is the person with a gun exactly knows the situation.

If I smoked I would try not to light up and blow smoke right next to someone.

Yes I would move because I don't want to be shot lol. I don;t think I am better than smokers. It's just manners. Do you think the person pulling the gun on someone is in the right? Are you saying smokers deliberately intimidate their fellow humans? :confused:

Your line of reasoning really makes no sense and you are basally agreeing that smokers who smoke in the face of strangers are anti-social.

A better comparison is when you are talking to a friend outside and they decide to light up mid conversation. I;d say it's fine in that situation? Then it's about just general getting on with people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Absolutely not - but they are gross.
If I smoked I would try not to light up and blow smoke right next to someone.

Yes I would move because I don't want to be shot lol. I don;t think I am better than smokers. It's just manners. Do you think the person pulling the gun on someone is in the right? Are you saying smokers deliberately intimidate their fellow humans? :confused:

Your line of reasoning really makes no sense and you are basally agreeing that smokers who smoke in the face of strangers are anti-social.

A better comparison is when you are talking to a friend outside and they decide to light up mid conversation. I;d say it's fine in that situation? Then it's about just general getting on with people.

The thing is, it's hard to find a good analogy since, unless I'm the only person without the ability (and doctors too I guess, and parents, and okay, you might be the only one), we cannot see signs above people's heads that tells us what medical conditions they have. And a smoker who intentionally smokes into the face of a stranger is antisocial, however I somehow doubt this to be so in the cited case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending