The Student Room Group

Official M5 Edexcel Thread June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ewanclementson
Having checked the answer you agreed with for Q5, I do disagree. The centre of mass was a distance of root(10)/2 from the pivot.
m(2a)+m(a)=2mx leads to x=1.5a then the centre of mass was 1.5a below L and by symmetry, 0.5a from l which gives root(10)/2.

what do you mean? this was random's answer and that was what I put.
I was saying that I think random's answer which had a root2 in was incorrect (and you said you put what he did). I believe 8752 is correct :smile:
Reply 222
Original post by Ewanclementson
I was saying that I think random's answer which had a root2 in was incorrect (and you said you put what he did). I believe 8752 is correct :smile:

:biggrin:
Original post by 8752
Yes you're right it does lie on the line joining the two masses. The distance should be root10/2 a however. Im curious as to how people got root 2 tho?

Incorrect use of the cosine rule: if you do it with the measurements on my diagram you would get csquared as
5/2, rooting that gives root10/2, but for some reason instead of taking moments I used cos rule just a tiny bit wrong like this image.jpg
by a factor of 2 in the term with cos145 gcse tier error tbh
Just got hold of the paper and had a go myself.
Question 4 is ambiguous in that it's open to interpretation (with or without caps?). I've included both possibilities.
Original post by kloitrell
Just got hold of the paper and had a go myself.
Question 4 is ambiguous in that it's open to interpretation (with or without caps?). I've included both possibilities.

If you look in the formula book that Edexcel give you, the M of I of a cylindrical shell is given as being the same as for a hoop. That tells you that the shell does not have caps.
Original post by tiny hobbit
If you look in the formula book that Edexcel give you, the M of I of a cylindrical shell is given as being the same as for a hoop. That tells you that the shell does not have caps.

I think it should always be stated though. I did both ways aswell but it really should be stated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending