Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with Same-sex Marriage?
    Yes!
    77.34%
    NO!!!
    22.66%

ReputationRep:
    Am I allowed to say no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eigo-Jin)
    This thread seems more like a validation of the "right" opinion.
    Obviously, since we don't actually debate non issues like this in 2015.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footygirlx)
    How is it stupid? Just because it doesn't fit your agenda.
    See my other post to you.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    That doesn't mean it can't, or shouldn't be challenged.
    Yep, we have every right to criticise the intestines out of it. :grin:

Yes but you dont have to be patronizing
    You're conflating condescension/patronisation with freedom of speech.

(Original post by saeed97)
    Are you a fascist by any chance?
    Hardly fascistic.
    (Also remember, freedom of speech and freedom for criticism aren't mutually exclusive, no?)

(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    It IS a stupid opinion. Why should a gay couple not be married? HOW IN THE WORLD does it affect you? I class it as stupid.
    Civil partnerships exist for a reason. No need to change something which has been in place for many years.
    Civil partnerships are only granted to same-sex couples, making it institutionalised discrimination for a start against opposite-sex couples.

That's also created a "them and us" scenario, contributing to the divide between heteronormative and gay culture, and contributing towards the stigma and homophobia.

Why are you avoiding my question?
    Perhaps she's still considering it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    Am I allowed to say no?
    No

:grin: :laugh:

(Well nothing's stopping you, but I'll criticise regardless Samosa-sama. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematicus65)
    Firstly you should be more respectful of other people's beliefs, you exhibit complete ignorance in some of your posts. Some people do happen to believe that homosexuality is a sin, and it is the human right to exhibit freedom of religious speech. Whether you dislike it or not most of the world believes it to be sinful, from Christianity, to Islam, Sikhism to Buddhism, Rastafarianism to Catholicism, from Italy to Somalia, from Saudi Arabia to Russia, from Germany to India, millions of religious people define homosexuality to be immoral. And apologies about the comment about living in a civilised society, I thought you were living in the United Kingdom so I must have been mistaken since with the exclusion of Germany we probably live in the most civilised country on earth. That's why we must hope conservatism continues here because the labour want to return communist dictatorship, like people like you thrive on, the removal of freedom.
    I really need to learn how to multi quote.

Firstly, I do not, under any circumstances have to respect other peoples beliefs. What I do have to do however, is to respect the persons right to their belief. If somebody believes that 1 + 3 = 26, that is stupid. I do not have respect the fact that they believe 1 + 3 = 26. If somebody believes that women are inferior, that is stupid. I merely have to respect that they are allowed to have that belief, as unwarranted as it is. Do you see my point?

I respect your right to believe what you want, and at the moment, I respect you as an individual. However, there is a difference as I do not respect your beliefs. That does not mean I don't respect you, I just disagree with you.

I am living in the United Kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Hardly fascistic.
    (Also remember, freedom of speech and freedom for criticism aren't mutually exclusive, no?)

Perhaps she's still considering it?
    Footygirlx said shes allowed to have an opinion and theonlymrsholmes replied with "no". To me that didnt look very freedom of speech like, hence my comment. If it was proper criticism then i wouldn't have asked her if she was a fascist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    You forgot to mention the fact they house cover up for pedophiles and spread stupidity such as condoms dont stop AIDS. Anybody who says something like that should be chained to a crucifix and left to die.
    More lovely open mindedness.

You're wrong anyway, I said that I dislike lots of stuff the Church gets up to, I just requested that, in the interests of intellectual honesty, you admitted that the Church does lots of good stuff.

You're being irrational and bigoted, everything you say you hate about the Church. It's just a bit silly really.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for your Idiocracy but marriage DOES NOT predate Christianity
    Yes, yes it does.

You can put your fingers in your ear and yell you're not listening all you like, but it is a fact that marriage pre-dates your religion.

If you're interested in being less wilfully ignorant you may want to give this video a watch:

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/the-histor...e-alex-gendler

Also funny you should mention my "idocracy" when you yourself were whining someone wasn't respecting your beliefs. Look who is being disrespectful now, don't be so hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    I do not know whether I do or not
    I am conflicted.
    On one side I think that they are not hurting anyone, but on the other hand it is against my religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Yes, yes it does.

You can put your fingers in your ear and yell you're not listening all you like, but it is a fact that marriage pre-dates your religion.

If you're interested in being less wilfully ignorant you may want to give this video a watch:

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/the-histor...e-alex-gendler
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eoe)
    I am conflicted.
    On one side I think that they are not hurting anyone, but on the other hand it is against my religion.
    This is a major issue of good, moral religious people. They are often conflicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Obviously, since we don't actually debate non issues like this in 2015.
    "issue" or "non issue", pretty much anything can be debated. Some people debate if the Earth is flat and back it up with evidence. Most of these people don't actually think the Earth is flat but rather enjoy just debating about it.

Also, why put "do you agree with same sex marriage?" with a poll if you just wanted like-minded opinions? Why not title the thread "agree with me, that same sex marriage is totally fine."?

Everybody has a differing opinion. It can year 3056 and there will people who think same sex marriage is wrong. We do not live in la la land where absolutely everybody has exactly the same opinion. That would be boring indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eigo-Jin)
    "issue" or "non issue", pretty much anything can be debated. Some people debate if the Earth is flat and back it up with evidence. Most of these people don't actually think the Earth is flat but rather enjoy just debating about it.

Also, why put "do you agree with same sex marriage?" with a poll if you just wanted like-minded opinions? Why not title the thread "agree with me, that same sex marriage is totally fine."?

Everybody has a differing opinion. It can year 3056 and there will people will who think same sex marriage is wrong. We do not live in la la land where absolutely everybody has exactly the same opinion. That would be boring indeed.
    No, do not even get me started on this. No. No such evidence. Flat Earth Society needs to be a parody site. They can't be for real. I will lose even more faith in Humanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busterposey)
    More lovely open mindedness.

What I said was factually correct, there is nothing 'open minded' or 'closed minded' about objective facts.

ReputationRep:
    Footygirlx said shes allowed to have an opinion and theonlymrsholmes replied with "no". To me that didnt look very freedom of speech like, hence my comment. If it was proper criticism then i wouldn't have asked her if she was a fascist.
    I never said no. I said it was stupid. Which is true and that is a 'proper' criticism. I am not going to write an essay critiquing ellie may's opinions, it would take me up to my death bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eoe)
    I am conflicted.
    But what does your religion have to do with the practises of another unless they are of your religion.

ReputationRep:
    Far too may Gay Rights Fundamentalists on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    No, do not even get me started on this. No. No such evidence. Flat Earth Society needs to be a parody site. They can't be for real. I will lose even more faith in Humanity.
    haha yes I admit that going through their site can make me giggle but still-there are intelligent people on the pro flat Earth side. A lot of them know their physics!

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for your Idiocracy but marriage DOES NOT predate Christianity
    This is by far the most idiotic thing i have ever read. I don't think ive ever face-palmed as hard as i have just now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saxsan4)
    It doesn't harm anyone, Love is love and it is taking away rights from the LGBT community.
    Sorry to break it to you, but the core vote of UKIP (which I presume you support) is homophobic

Indeed, when there came a vote on LGBT discrimination legislation at the European Parliament, the UKIP MEPs voted en masse to oppose it (which is remarkable given they so rarely bother to show up to the votes)

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.