Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophmlg)
    Has anyone bought the new 1000Q UKCAT book? Is it worth getting? I have the old 600Q one but it's hardly relevant anymore and I don't want to spend £15 if it's not very useful.
    That's what I used for my prep + Medify + official questions. The 1000Q was actually quite useful. Basically they have taken out all the out of date stuff and replaced it with all the new style questions. Medify was also good.

ReputationRep:
    How did you find the timing for the VR and maths sections? Did you manage to finish all the questions, or did you end up guessing at the end? I find them the worst for finishing on time.

Also, what amount of questions in VR were true, false, can't tell? Have they changed it so there are more of the awful questions where you have to pick a statement?

Did you do any practice for the new section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKCATrocks)
    That's what I used for my prep + Medify + official questions. The 1000Q was actually quite useful. Basically they have taken out all the out of date stuff and replaced it with all the new style questions. Medify was also good.
    Grand, thank you! Yeah, I've used Medify before and plan to again (sat the test last year but didn't apply in the end), so worth it - although they've increased the price this year a little bit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanne86)
    How did you find the timing for the VR and maths sections? Did you manage to finish all the questions, or did you end up guessing at the end? I find them the worst for finishing on time.

Also, what amount of questions in VR were true, false, can't tell? Have they changed it so there are more of the awful questions where you have to pick a statement?

Did you do any practice for the new section?
    Timing for maths worked out okay because basically I spent 3 seconds on the easy questions and 50 seconds on the harder ones. It all averages out.

For VT I had about 30% True/False and 70% of the other style. I had to guess about 10% of them in the end because time was getting tight.

My biggest problem was AR because the first two were easy but then one of them got me stuck for a good 5 minutes. I concluded that if you can't see it in the first 10 seconds then you will never see it unless you drop it and come back to it. SO that's what I did. I guessed those I couldn't do and then flagged them for review. On second viewing I was able to see new relationships that had escaped me before

ReputationRep:
    Timing for maths worked out okay because basically I spent 3 seconds on the easy questions and 50 seconds on the harder ones. It all averages out.

For VT I had about 30% True/False and 70% of the other style. I had to guess about 10% of them in the end because time was getting tight.

My biggest problem was AR because the first two were easy but then one of them got me stuck for a good 5 minutes. I concluded that if you can't see it in the first 10 seconds then you will never see it unless you drop it and come back to it. SO that's what I did. I guessed those I couldn't do and then flagged them for review. On second viewing I was able to see new relationships that had escaped me before
    I've got the UKCAT this week andim terrified for it. I've been doing badly on the mock exams. Do you have any advise for a lost cost such as myself.

ReputationRep:
    My concepts are clear for QR. I get questions right, like 70-75% of them.
    But in the godforsaken 24 minutes, I only manage to complete 23-26 questions.
    What do I do for speed?
    And for QR, should I use Medify more or the ISC book? (I have both)

PS- UKCAT is on the 22nd

ReputationRep:
    What has this years UKCAT changed from last year, as i have the 2015 editions............
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rower24242424)
    What has this years UKCAT changed from last year, as i have the 2015 editions............
    There is no DA this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    There is no DA this year.
    thank you! okay strange q but what are the DA questions like, the ones in the tables?
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rower24242424)
    thank you! okay strange q but what are the DA questions like, the ones in the tables?
    Yup - the ones where you had to "decode" messages *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina_futureDr)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I am doing the exam. In my view the most difficult section is the analytical question. I can handle non verbal reasoning but verbal reasoning kills me. May be I am not cut out for these kind of question

I find Abstract Reasoning most challenging. I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the calculator stays up on the real exam between questions after you've initially clicked on it. I'm getting frustrated on mocks having to open it again on every question??
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by mynamee)
    Does anyone know if the calculator stays up on the real exam between questions after you've initially clicked on it. I'm getting frustrated on mocks having to open it again on every question??
    It stays up on the real thing.

(When I did it a couple years ago it did anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynamee)
    Yep, did mine today live and it did stay up.

ReputationRep:
    In the 1000Qs book, it says that you have a minute for the instructions for each section. Is that forced upon you, or can you skip it?
    Also, is the timing so you have 2 hours to do all of it, or just the set amount of time for each section and then you're forced onto the next section?
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    In the 1000Qs book, it says that you have a minute for the instructions for each section. Is that forced upon you, or can you skip it?
    Also, is the timing so you have 2 hours to do all of it, or just the set amount of time for each section and then you're forced onto the next section?
    You can skip through the instructions, and there's a set amount of time for each section.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, did mine today live and it did stay up.
    Cheers man, congrats on the score.

I have 10 days to get good, how were you doing in the official mocks compared to the actual.

I'm doing terrible at QR, I just can't do long calculator questions in 30 seconds. Any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    You can skip through the instructions, and there's a set amount of time for each section.
    Ah, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Did mine today!
    VR - 700
    AR - 630
    QR - 890
    SJ - Band 1

Overall pretty pleased 😊

Would definitely recommend the UKCAT 1000 book as that's all I used, and defs skipping/guessing harder questions and coming back later if you have the time. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennyellen_)
    Did mine today!
    VR - 700
    AR - 630
    QR - 890
    SJ - Band 1

Overall pretty pleased 😊

Would definitely recommend the UKCAT 1000 book as that's all I used, and defs skipping/guessing harder questions and coming back later if you have the time. *
    Congrats!! What are your verbal reasoning tips??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.