Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sanitary items as luxuries watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    The whole luxury debate is pretty invalid as there are lots of things which attract VAT that are clearly not luxury. It's just another annoying tax.
    I agree. I don't think it's the tax itself that really bothers us. It's more so calling them a luxury and therefore they've been taxed..if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    We're also talking about luxury, therefore it's relevant.

Almost all, if not all bars/restaurants provide their customers with toilet tissue.

Why are women expected to bring their own? Everyone knows we need them for a week every month, it's not a secret. If we're comparing this to toilet tissue then why aren't we treating them the same?
    Whether we should pay 5% tax on female sanitary products, and whether they should be available for free in public toilets are two completely different issues.

As far as VAT is concerned both toilet paper and female hygiene products are considered luxury products.

As for why female hygiene products are provided free in all public toilets, I imagine a very large part of that comes down to cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    We're also talking about luxury, therefore it's relevant.

Almost all, if not all bars/restaurants provide their customers with toilet tissue.

Why are women expected to bring their own? Everyone knows we need them for a week every month, it's not a secret. If we're comparing this to toilet tissue then why aren't we treating them the same?
    The point is that they don't have to provide toilet paper. They do so because their customers wouldn't be happy if they didn't. If you, women, want bars and restaurants to start providing sanitary products, then stop giving them your money until they do. That's what would happen if a bar or restaurant didn't provide toilet paper -- they'd lose business. Of course, that's unlikely to happen, because the truth is that women do look after their own needs in that area.

Businesses get away with what they can get away with. It's nothing to do with whether it's a 'luxury', 'essential', or anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    The point is that they don't have to provide toilet paper. They do so because their customers wouldn't be happy if they didn't. If you, women, want bars and restaurants to start providing sanitary products, then stop giving them your money until they do. That's what would happen if a bar or restaurant didn't provide toilet paper -- they'd lose business. Of course, that's unlikely to happen, because the truth is that women do look after their own needs in that area.

Businesses get away with what they can get away with. It's nothing to do with whether it's a 'luxury', 'essential', or anything else.
    Well if you'd like to pay more for your food or your shopping then sure, tampons aren't as cheap as toilet paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Because they are a luxury - we could always free flow we choose to wear them.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hehehehe - I messed with your spoiler
    PLEASE VIEW THE SPOILER!

Plus it would not be healthy to free flow

ReputationRep:
    Some very weird things are not considered luxury items such as kangaroo meat and alcoholic jellies, yet women's sanitary items are perceived as luxury. Thats just bloody ridiculous if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surreal123)
    Some very weird things are not considered luxury items such as kangaroo meat and alcoholic jellies, yet women's sanitary items are perceived as luxury. Thats just bloody ridiculous if you ask me.
    Who gives a crap if they're luxury or not, paying taxes on them is completely fair - just get on with your life, women have survived up until now so I don't see why anything needs to be changed. Plus I'm sure the government having the money is spent much more usefully than you wasting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Who gives a crap if they're luxury or not, paying taxes on them is completely fair - just get on with your life, women have survived up until now so I don't see why anything needs to be changed. Plus I'm sure the government having the money is spent much more usefully than you wasting it.
    yeah i'm sure the government spends that money veryyyyy usefully

ReputationRep:
    Does this count as blood money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lacesso)
    Does this count as blood money?
    :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surreal123)
    Along with mens loo roll.

ReputationRep:
    No, they should not be taxed.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.