Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Senior Maths Challenge 2015 predicted thresholds and past thresholds watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeThomasLee)
    Just out of curiousity, why would you choose Warwick over Imperial?

I have a Warwick offer too and I'm debating what I would do
    Thought someone might ask. I have to admit Imperial is generally considered slightly better for Maths, BUT I've been to both open days and generally don't like the look of Imperial. For example, the Warwick campus is much nicer, and I really don't want to live in London tbh (don't ask why).
    To many people I'd be making the 'wrong' choice, but honestly I prefer Warwick in almost every respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    I have an offer for maths (which I'm not gonna take) but basically for some reason they expected me to have put my UMS scores on my actual UCAS application (don't know how, don't think there was an option) and so they did the same thing with me as they did with you, just asked me for my M/FM UMS in a table via e-mail.
    Good thing is I got an offer a day or two later, but they took like 2/3 weeks or so to ask for UMS for some reason...
    Exactly the same thing happened to me and yes, i was also impressed when read that they expected me to put UMS grades on my UCAS application. I have sent that table about 2-3 weeks ago, but haven't got any emails from them. I am panicking as it was supposed to be my back up choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramil Ahmadov)
    Exactly the same thing happened to me and yes, i was also impressed when read that they expected me to put UMS grades on my UCAS application. I have sent that table about 2-3 weeks ago, but haven't got any emails from them. I am panicking as it was supposed to be my back up choice
    Are you applying for maths? And which university do you want as your firm?
    As long as you have good UMS and a decent PS you should certainly get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying for maths? And which university do you want as your firm?
    As long as you have good UMS and a decent PS you should certainly get an offer.
    I applied for Mathematics with Physics BSc.
    My first choice was Mathematics at Oxford, then Mathematics with applied mathematics/mathematical physics at Imperial. But, in case i fail MAT, my firm choice would be Physics with Theoretical Physics at Imperial and only then UCL. I don't want to make King's as my back up choice tbh.

ReputationRep:
    My first choice was Mathematics at Oxford, then Mathematics with applied mathematics/mathematical physics at Imperial. But, in case i fail MAT, my firm choice would be Physics with Theoretical Physics at Imperial and only then UCL. I don't want to make King's as my back up choice tbh.
    Nice, I did the MAT but didn't apply to Oxford. So even though I did terribly it's only for Imperial so it doesn't matter haha.

ReputationRep:
    Nice, I did the MAT but didn't apply to Oxford. So even though I did terribly it's only for Imperial so it doesn't matter haha.
    Congrats mate haha i feel you, have you applied to pure maths degree? What do you think you got from MAT? Mine was terrible taking into account it was for two of my choices. But i did what i can, i didn't prepared for the test. And also, can you, please, tell me your as ums grades and this year predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats mate haha i feel you, have you applied to pure maths degree? What do you think you got from MAT? Mine was terrible taking into account it was for two of my choices. But i did what i can, i didn't prepared for the test. And also, can you, please, tell me your as ums grades and this year predicted grades?
    Probably just over 50 or something like that. I feel I was capable of 70+, but I did particularly badly in that paper and hardly put any effort into preparation seen as the exam really didn't matter. I was doing much more STEP prep than MAT prep right before the MAT XD. I'm applying for maths (just maths) at Cambridge and all my other choices.
    If I were you, applying to Oxford, I would've spent the entire summer preparing for MAT like crazy! How come you didn't prepare?
    I got 296,298,285,284 in M/FM/Chem/Phys respectively. 3A* predicted (dropped chem). Pretty shameful that I did better in chem than physics; almost got a B in the chem prac since I didn't take it seriously at all.

ReputationRep:
    Probably just over 50 or something like that. I feel I was capable of 70+, but I did particularly badly in that paper and hardly put any effort into preparation seen as the exam really didn't matter. I was doing much more STEP prep than MAT prep right before the MAT XD. I'm applying for maths (just maths) at Cambridge and all my other choices.
    If I were you, applying to Oxford, I would've spent the entire summer preparing for MAT like crazy! How come you didn't prepare?
    I got 296,298,285,284 in M/FM/Chem/Phys respectively. 3A* predicted (dropped chem). Pretty shameful that I did better in chem than physics; almost got a B in the chem prac since I didn't take it seriously at all.
    I understand you, STEP is much more important for you than MAT. TBH i wanted to apply to Cambridge as they have my desired degree Mathematics with Physics while Oxford doesn't. It was apparently my college's mistake. They didn't warned me that i have to take STEP and how difficult it is. when i asked them in the summer, they told me you don't have to do anything until you get back to the college. I was so pissed of when found out the fact about STEP and MAT, they literally don't expect any of their student to apply to Oxbridge. I understood that i don't have time for STEP, that's why i just applied to Oxford.
    My UMS wasn't as high as you, cuz i always make stupid mistakes xD and didn't know it actually makes a difference for other unis than Cambridge and that's why i wasn't much concentrated getting high UMS grades
    I got 296/269/258/170/159 at AS

ReputationRep:
    I understand you, STEP is much more important for you than MAT. TBH i wanted to apply to Cambridge as they have my desired degree Mathematics with Physics while Oxford doesn't. It was apparently my college's mistake. They didn't warned me that i have to take STEP and how difficult it is. when i asked them in the summer, they told me you don't have to do anything until you get back to the college. I was so pissed of when found out the fact about STEP and MAT, they literally don't expect any of their student to apply to Oxbridge. I understood that i don't have time for STEP, that's why i just applied to Oxford.
    My UMS wasn't as high as you, cuz i always make stupid mistakes xD and didn't know it actually makes a difference for other unis than Cambridge and that's why i wasn't much concentrated getting high UMS grades
    I got 296/269/258/170/159 at AS
    Yeah UMS was a very big priority for me. It doesn't matter for your main choices so I wouldn't worry.
    Are you sure Cambridge do Maths with Physics? I thought it was that Oxford do Maths with Physics, but Cambridge do not until the fourth year or something.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah UMS was a very big priority for me. It doesn't matter for your main choices so I wouldn't worry.Are you sure Cambridge do Maths with Physics? I thought it was that Oxford do Maths with Physics, but Cambridge do not until the fourth year or something.
    It's vice versa, indeed. Cambridge has mathematics and/with physics, but don't have Physics(natural sciences). Oxford doesn't provide mathematics with physics, otherwise i would have applied for that one, but they have MMathsPhys in thefourth year, for what i was aiming. BTW imperial for physics with Theoretical physics asked for UMS grades of all subject, while ucl asked for only maths.

ReputationRep:
    Someone help please:

Let x be a real number such that x=x+x^-1 is an integer greater than 2. Prove that tn=x^n + x^-n is an integer for all positive integers n. Determine their values of n for which t divides tn

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's vice versa, indeed. Cambridge has mathematics and/with physics, but don't have Physics(natural sciences). Oxford doesn't provide mathematics with physics, otherwise i would have applied for that one, but they have MMathsPhys in thefourth year, for what i was aiming. BTW imperial for physics with Theoretical physics asked for UMS grades of all subject, while ucl asked for only maths.
    Oh I see. I don't actually understand why Cambridge (and Imperial for you) need all of our subject UMS scores. Not really sure how my Chemistry UMS is important for my admission into a Maths course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theworkkid)
    Someone help please:

Let x be a real number such that x=x+x^-1 is an integer greater than 2. Prove that tn=x^n + x^-n is an integer for all positive integers n. Determine their values of n for which t divides tn

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Try an induction. Find t^2 etc assume t_k is an integer then multiply by t.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Try an induction. Find t^2 etc assume t_k is an integer then multiply by t.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A third of that paper was induction, thank **** my dad told me to learn it before the olympiad.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so did you apply for 2 different courses at Imperial? If i had the choice I would put have Mathematics with Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics at Imperial but I didn't realise you needed MAT, so I'm considering the Physics with Theoretical Physics instead :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renzhi10122)
    A third of that paper was induction, thank **** my dad told me to learn it before the olympiad.
    Yep. Half of it was induction haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see. I don't actually understand why Cambridge (and Imperial for you) need all of our subject UMS scores. Not really sure how my Chemistry UMS is important for my admission into a Maths course.
    I think they've found that high UMS correlates very closely with degree performance. Even for the less relevant subjects it can give a better indication of your general academic ability and as competition is so high it makes sense to try to obtain as much information on each candidate's abilities as is feasible. They probably could just ask for the three best relevant subjects since that's mainly what they use (for sciences anyway) but maybe they sometimes want to look at a fourth as well. Or maybe they just find perverse joy in making their applicants do as much tedious stuff as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I think they've found that high UMS correlates very closely with degree performance. Even for the less relevant subjects it can give a better indication of your general academic ability and as competition is so high it makes sense to try to obtain as much information on each candidate's abilities as is feasible. They probably could just ask for the three best relevant subjects since that's mainly what they use (for sciences anyway) but maybe they sometimes want to look at a fourth as well. Or maybe they just find perverse joy in making their applicants do as much tedious stuff as possible.
    Haha, like having to upload photos of ourselves on the SAQ, or making us fill in every class size and every single topic we've covered and will cover up until December!
    That's probably true though, I would expect people with high UMS to do well at their degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    It's almost annoying how most only ask for maths ums though and not them all since I somehow managed to get 300 in physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any hints on what topics come up as I'm doing the local senior Maths challenge on Wednesday and i suck at maths. (i somehow got chosen)

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.