Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Hezzlington Cooking Blog - A student that eats like a King Watch

ReputationRep:
    hezzlington i was hoping a little more king-ly
    such as pan fried scallops served in a spiced coconut lime sauce
    all you need is
    cheap frozen scallops( 450g is about £6)
    150ml coconut milk or cream (or both for indulgence)
    2 limes, juiced and zested
    5g of fresh grated ginger
    a bouquet garni (made with star anise, a cinnamon stick and a couple of bay leaves)
    1 tsp cornflour

1. in one saucepan mix the coconut and lime juice and heat to a simmer, add the bouquet garni, ginger and lime zest and allow to cook for 15 minutes
    2. fry scallops in a shallow pan using butter for 3-5 minutes
    3. remove bouquet garni, whisk cornflour into sauce and allow to thicken
    4. transfer scallops to plate and apply sauce

tips
    you can try
    adding finely chopped fresh or dried chilli to the sauce for an extra kick
    adding vermouth or sake to the scallops as they cook in the pan with some finely chopped garlic and shallots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    hezzlington i was hoping a little more king-ly
    such as pan fried scallops served in a spiced coconut lime sauce
    all you need is
    cheap frozen scallops( 450g is about £6)
    150ml coconut milk or cream (or both for indulgence)
    2 limes, juiced and zested
    5g of fresh grated ginger
    a bouquet garni (made with star anise, a cinnamon stick and a couple of bay leaves)
    1 tsp cornflour

1. in one saucepan mix the coconut and lime juice and heat to a simmer, add the bouquet garni, ginger and lime zest and allow to cook for 15 minutes
    2. fry scallops in a shallow pan using butter for 3-5 minutes
    3. remove bouquet garni, whisk cornflour into sauce and allow to thicken
    4. transfer scallops to plate and apply sauce

tips
    you can try
    adding finely chopped fresh or dried chilli to the sauce for an extra kick
    adding vermouth or sake to the scallops as they cook in the pan with some finely chopped garlic and shallots
    Sounds awesome, I've never had scallops before.

It was no where near as kingly as I was hoping, didn't get to document the stuff I usually eat. I eat around 1 - 3 steaks a week. I wanted to make some beautiful consommés and other fun stuff, but my pressure cooker broke which restricted me.

the blog sucks I know hahaha, maybe I gave up too early..it's just for the next month i don't have enough time/space/money to do it all to the extent I was hoping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Sounds awesome, I've never had scallops before.

It was no where near as kingly as I was hoping, didn't get to document the stuff I usually eat. I eat around 1 - 3 steaks a week. I wanted to make some beautiful consommés and other fun stuff, but my pressure cooker broke which restricted me.

the blog sucks I know hahaha, maybe I gave up too early..it's just for the next month i don't have enough time/space/money to do it all to the extent I was hoping.
    money has restricted some of my other efforts
    like some stuff i try to keep in the house at all times
    brandy
    vermouth
    gold, silver and platinum leaf
    frozen chicken, scallops and several steaks
    canned chickpeas
    coconut milk
    vanilla pods
    cinnamon sticks
    good vanilla extract
    saffron
    some stuff is more possible so is harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    money has restricted some of my other efforts
    like some stuff i try to keep in the house at all times
    brandy
    vermouth
    gold, silver and platinum leaf
    frozen chicken, scallops and several steaks
    canned chickpeas
    coconut milk
    vanilla pods
    cinnamon sticks
    good vanilla extract
    saffron
    some stuff is more possible so is harder
    I've cooked with vanilla pods, but it looked really bad so I didn't post it on here. Was about £1 per pod, Madagascan :sexface:

I love coconut milk and cream blocks. I really want to get into Thai cooking but i'm on a diet and man that **** is so high in fat/calories. What does vermouth taste like? Martini?? I'm trying to look for a nice sherry vinegar to add to the cupboard.

I haven't cooked with saffron yet, but will do soon. I don't know where to get good quality stuff, my local asda do some but it's expensive for a small amount (ofcourse - but who knows how good quality it is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I've cooked with vanilla pods, but it looked really bad so I didn't post it on here. Was about £1 per pod, Madagascan :sexface:

I love coconut milk and cream blocks. I really want to get into Thai cooking but i'm on a diet and man that **** is so high in fat/calories. What does vermouth taste like? Martini?? I'm trying to look for a nice sherry vinegar to add to the cupboard.

I haven't cooked with saffron yet, but will do soon. I don't know where to get good quality stuff, my local asda do some but it's expensive for a small amount (ofcourse - but who knows how good quality it is)
    i had some indian vanilla pods which were ok i paid £20 including shipping and had 250 pods turn up (i used some gave them away i eventually made a gallon of vanilla vodka to use the final hundred as they started to dry out)

vermouth think white wine for the more basic stuff but lillet blanc is a bit special and isn't too expensive £15 per bottle and is when chilled quite drinkable neat but works best in a cocktail like an americano, manhattan or martini

saffron i got mine for about 70p a pot from lidl of all places and proceeded to buy 10
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    bump
    • Political Ambassador

Political Ambassador
    He's the master chef indeed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Cook us something, Hezzlington

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.