The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MM2B Mechanics 2 – 27th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
Yes there is the correct answer is 5gl\sqrt{5gl} and that is certain.

I certainly hope so since that's what I put!
Reply 221
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I needed 0UMS too XD. Still really disappointing that I got 80s in this paper, worst mark I've got in an M2 paper by far and that's just from two tiny mistakes.

Me too! Made a couple silly errors, but I don't mind as I had only done a couple past papers and was never taught the module, actually just read the M2 book on a train XD
Original post by LiesandAlibis
Also, is there a general consensus on 2(root)gl versus (root)5gl?

In my opinion:

The answer is (root)5gl because this is the answer found with the assumption that the tension in the string must be greater than or equal to zero at the top.

An answer of 2(root)gl is yielded when assuming that the velocity is greater than or equal to zero at the top.

This is true for a constrained circular motion, e.g. a bead on a wire where it cannot go anywhere else other than along the wire, but for situations where the particle is unconstrained, the tension must also be greater than or equal to zero. This is an additional condition which stops the particle from taking a decay path before reaching the top.
Original post by jjsnyder
Me too! Made a couple silly errors, but I don't mind as I had only done a couple past papers and was never taught the module, actually just read the M2 book on a train XD

Wow fair play to you then, I was taught the whole module. Also I did quite a few past papers (10 or so). So for me, no excuses for stupid mistakes lol.
Original post by MrCahooner
In my opinion:

The answer is (root)5gl because this is the answer found with the assumption that the tension in the string must be greater than or equal to zero at the top.

An answer of 2(root)gl is yielded when assuming that the velocity is greater than or equal to zero at the top.

This is true for a constrained circular motion, e.g. a bead on a wire where it cannot go anywhere else other than along the wire, but for situations where the particle is unconstrained, the tension must also be greater than or equal to zero. This is an additional condition which stops the particle from taking a decay path before reaching the top.

Yep this is correct reasoning. Bead on a wire can have a reaction force upwards but tension will not act upwards.
do people think this paper was comparable to june 2014, or was it easier/harder?
Reply 226
Original post by tanyapotter
do people think this paper was comparable to june 2014, or was it easier/harder?

Really similar but I think there were little more things u could trip up on so I think slightly Lower gb that 2014
How many marks was the last question?
1-u/2 for the ladder question? 7.15m last question?
Original post by mcride98
How many marks was the last question?

8 i think
for the last question, i have a strong opinion that the final answer is 5.46m. Both extensions where taken from the distance from q where the next point of rest is. one of the extensions was 4+x and the other i think was 11-x.
received_1067014456726278.jpeg
Working for question 8.
6.78m being final answer.
Original post by Andrew Brockbank
Working for question 8.

you have used the conservation of energy, but i used forces, the next point of rest will mean that the forces are in equilibrium from each string.
Original post by higginsy7
you have used the conservation of energy, but i used forces, the next point of rest will mean that the forces are in equilibrium from each string.

The forces dont need to be in equilibrium. Where the forces are in equilibrium will be the final place the mass comes to rest, it simply asks for the next postition the mass comes to rest. It will only be breifly at 6.78m before going up again towards Q.
Original post by Andrew Brockbank
Working for question 8.

You messed up loss in gpe you said it was dsin30 but it's mgdsin30
Scenes, so I did 😶
Original post by C0balt
Original post by C0balt

stared at that for so long trying to find the error lmao fml

did you get 7.58?