Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I believe in god but in my own way. I'm definitely Christian/Catholic but don't agree with some of the stuff the church is for like the whole contraception thing etc. It makes me sad that people that believe in a god get stereotyped so much and almost seems like they sometimes aren't allowed an opinion that matches their faith if it goes against the general public opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    You understood the quote I'm referring to - it the one where is replied to both if you. If you go back to that, you'll see that the original quote of the poster was "How was the Earth created then" - which is what led that argument on. I can't make this any clearer.

As I said, I will explain this later on/tomorrow. In the meantime, you may find it useful to refer to Hydeman's posts.

A question is not an argument, for starters. You make no sense, nonetheless. I asked you to provide, for the hundredth time now, proof that God is "outside of space and time and does not need to be created" - which is, as you say, your own argument. All you've done is evade this request for proof. So, either stop claiming this or corroborate your argument. And I am not making a new argument, it is the very same one.

And what? Have you ever heard of the burden of proof? It is he who has made an exorbitant claim that must prove the validity of such claim (in your case, that God exists, outside of time and space and did not need to be created). You cannot possibly ask me to disprove his existence. YOU are the one making the claim that he exists. It's like me saying that dragons exist and asking you to disprove their existence. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol. This convo is killing the thread. I'll be happy to hear your answer via pm/vm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Lol. This convo is killing the thread. I'll be happy to hear your answer via pm/vm?
    How is it? It's directly relevant to the question of the thread itself. Aside from the peripheral issues, the point is "prove that God exists and that he created the university and was not himself created" - I've yet to receive an answer to this.

And you shall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad (PBUH) is his messenger.

ReputationRep:
    What the argument does is try to make it seem irrational for God's existence which is what it fails to did. Analyzing this argument the way I have doesn't require any rules that these religions have laid out to be broken.
    One could argue that it IS irrational because there is no evidence for a deity in the first place. Otherwise anyone could invent any mythological creature and argue its existence on the hypothetical that it already exists and thus claim that it isn't irrational which is of course absurd.

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure but I dont have no view. Those who say there is no but allah mohammed is his messenger thats not true. Jesus is just another false messaih aswell, im not a jew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00510)
    I am a Christian and I believe in God .

Some people don't believe in God and I understand but some people don't believe due to some personal issues. In the movie "God's Not Dead" a philosophy professor who doesn't believe in God said "I hate God" but the student who is proving that God exist and is real had a come back for this and said "How can you hate someone who doesn't even exist?"

I encourage you to watch "God's Not Dead" it is a really good movie debating if God exists or not.
    Are you serious? "God's Not Dead" is one of the worst films I've ever seen, full of fallacies and arguments that have been debunked millions of times. And surprise surprise, they made the atheist in the film to be the insufferable douchebag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    One could argue that it IS irrational because there is no evidence for a deity in the first place. Otherwise anyone could invent any mythological creature and argue its existence on the hypothetical that it already exists and thus claim that it isn't irrational which is of course absurd.
    But then your initial argument of "what created God?" is pointless and the "no evidence for a deity" can be used whenever one finds that their argument fails. For example, if you were to point out (and I'm sure you will) that if God were to exist, he is cruel. Then if I were to use counter arguments to justified reasons of why he is not cruel, then it isn't exactly fair for you to say "anyway that doesn't matter because there's no evidence for God".

(Original post by *Stefan*)
    How is it? It's directly relevant to the question of the thread itself. Aside from the peripheral issues, the point is "prove that God exists and that he created the university and was not himself created" - I've yet to receive an answer to this.

And you shall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure keep it here if you wish.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I've seen this argument a few times. Doesn't go well I'm afraid.
    It's not an argument, its an expression of my faith.

ReputationRep:
    But then your initial argument of "what created God?" is pointless and the "no evidence for a deity" can be used whenever one finds that their argument fails. For example, if you were to point out (and I'm sure you will) that if God were to exist, he is cruel. Then if I were to use counter arguments to justified reasons of why he is not cruel, then it isn't exactly fair for you to say "anyway that doesn't matter because there's no evidence for God".
    I didn't ask what created God, just said that a being who created the universe isn't necessarily God.

It wouldn't be fair if the discussion was about God's personality traits, but this one is about his existence so that must be proven and not simply assumed otherwise there is nothing really that is being debated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I didn't ask what created God, just said that a being who created the universe isn't necessarily God.

It wouldn't be fair if the discussion was about God's personality traits, but this one is about his existence so that must be proven and not simply assumed otherwise there is nothing really that is being debated.
    Ok sure. But why ask the question "What created God?" instead of instantly asking "Where is the evidence?"

ReputationRep:
    Ok sure. But why ask the question "What created God?" instead of instantly asking "Where is the evidence?"
    That question is being asked now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.